Muineachán v Áth Cliath, Páirc Thiarnaigh Naofa, 5ú Aibrean @ 1500

Started by GrandMasterFlash, March 31, 2015, 10:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2015, 04:08:13 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 06, 2015, 03:16:28 PM
We don't call it the blanket defence in Dublin  it's just a coincidence that we are all there together in our own half, after following the monaghan players around.  It's not a deliberate tactic, it just happens and  we don't intend for this to happen. It's a spontaneous blanket defence formation in response to monaghan's temerity to enter our half of the field.

Well done it took a while- but you got there in the end. Give us a shout when you can score 1-22 playing a blanket defence.
If you can break fast and score from the 45 then you can do it. You just need to have enough players who can shoot from distance. Dublin have, most counties don't.

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 06, 2015, 06:41:31 PM
We don't call it the blanket defence in Dublin  it's just a coincidence that we are all there together in our own half, after following the monaghan players around.  It's not a deliberate tactic, it just happens and  we don't intend for this to happen. It's a spontaneous blanket defence formation in response to monaghan's temerity to enter our half of the field.

Well done it took a while- but you got there in the end. Give us a shout when you can score 1-22 playing a blanket defence.
If you can break fast and score from the 45 then you can do it. You just need to have enough players who can shoot from distance. Dublin have, most counties don't.
Indiana appears to assume that  a blanket defence, is a team is always intent on being stuck in their own half  and rarely attacks. That's a misconception or a simple generalisation.
If Monaghan rarely attacked, how come the dub players were all in their own half, dub  forwards defending in front of their own goal and with Jim Gavin rueing when they didn't defend in numbers, letting  Monaghan score a bit at the end,

To repeat for Indiana's sake, for he might have blinded by emotion earlier.
Dublin defend in numbers, blanket numbers, 14 players in their half (even against a small, primitive, rural team like Monaghan), can defend well,  can switch from defence to attack in a flash and score points with great accuracy from distance. Add that to pressurising the kick outs, pressure on the ball all over the pitch and you have a formidable team, almost ice bath invincible.

INDIANA

Quote from: Main Street on April 06, 2015, 11:00:20 PM

Indiana appears to assume that  a blanket defence, is a team is always intent on being stuck in their own half  and rarely attacks. That's a misconception or a simple generalisation.
If Monaghan rarely attacked, how come the dub players were all in their own half, dub  forwards defending in front of their own goal and with Jim Gavin rueing when they didn't defend in numbers, letting  Monaghan score a bit at the end,

Dublin defend in numbers, blanket numbers, 14 players in their half (even against a small, primitive, rural team like Monaghan), can defend well,  can switch from defence to attack in a flash and score points with great accuracy from distance. Add that to pressurising the kick outs, pressure on the ball all over the pitch and you have a formidable team, almost ice bath invincible.

All of your posts unfortunately are undermined by the clearly obvious inferiority complex you have. Its quite childish at this stage.

Monaghan don't break that well because you only ever have two forwards in your own half. We break better because we keep four up front it really is that simple.

Whitnail

In fairness i think dublin are playing an 'evolved' blanket defence without having started from the stereotypical blanket background.

Alot of men back. sometimes with 1 man (2 at a stretch) in the other half with up to 12 guys sprinting forward on turnovers.

Monaghan have. really struggled to break the half way line against the dubs but seem to be able to do it against most others cause I think they are over cautious against em and are wary of commiting too many forward.

I feel dublin are playing a style/system now that McGuinness (donegal) never got around to cause it takes time to evolve these things & maybe he felt there still wasn't enough quality to implement it.
-
Personally I dont think we(donegal) need to play a rigid blanket anymore as there is more confidence & ability there now & I would really like to see Gallagher move the thing forward by pressing higher up . All counties should  have a plan b.

Monaghan are a bit rigid at the moment , but I can understand why as the way they play has moved them from top 12 to top 6(ish) in just 3 years

Canalman

A bit of ropeadoping by Monaghan at the weekend imo. Definitely the one team needing the win more and scoreline reflected that.

Will be different next weekend with Dublin back from the training week away. Or is it Monaghan away??? Can't be ...................

Maguire01

Quote from: INDIANA on April 06, 2015, 11:12:30 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 06, 2015, 11:00:20 PM

All of your posts unfortunately are undermined by the clearly obvious inferiority complex you have. Its quite childish at this stage.

Monaghan don't break that well because you only ever have two forwards in your own half. We break better because we keep four up front it really is that simple.
We're you at the game on Sunday? From where I was sitting Dublin had as many men behind the ball as Monaghan.

Maguire01

Did anyone get a clear view on Dessie Mone's black card? Thought he was on for a free and really surprised when the card was shown. Did he pull his man down with him?

Sleater

Defensively Dublin were impressive. They remind me of the Tyrone team of the 00's. They swarm in defence and attack and break with such pace. On top of that they've developed patience to pass around and look for the openings, not afraid to shoot from distance. For a long time it was depressing to see Monaghan had just scored 6 pts before that late spurt. Dublin defend in numbers and it's hard to break down especially when you're build up play is slow and lacking in support which Monaghan did. Malachy O'Rourke ain't no mug and I'm sure he'll have noticed that too. Dublin can be beaten but it will take huge levels of fitness and intensity to match Dublin's swarming. That intensity was missing from Monaghan at the weekend. I honestly don't think they'll have it for the Div 1 semi-final either. The Cavan game is on the horizon and that's going to be the focus for Monaghan. I have a feeling O'Rourke will change the line up around to give some lads a game ahead of Ulster SFC.

Boycey

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 07, 2015, 10:03:33 AM
Did anyone get a clear view on Dessie Mone's black card? Thought he was on for a free and really surprised when the card was shown. Did he pull his man down with him?

I was an awful long way from it but I thought Dessie was the instigator of whatever took place. All around me was baying for a Monaghan free but I turned to my mate and said Dessies in bother here. I actually thought he'd gotten a red card

straightred

Quote from: Sleater on April 07, 2015, 10:41:58 AM
Defensively Dublin were impressive. They remind me of the Tyrone team of the 00's. They swarm in defence and attack and break with such pace. On top of that they've developed patience to pass around and look for the openings, not afraid to shoot from distance. For a long time it was depressing to see Monaghan had just scored 6 pts before that late spurt. Dublin defend in numbers and it's hard to break down especially when you're build up play is slow and lacking in support which Monaghan did. Malachy O'Rourke ain't no mug and I'm sure he'll have noticed that too. Dublin can be beaten but it will take huge levels of fitness and intensity to match Dublin's swarming. That intensity was missing from Monaghan at the weekend. I honestly don't think they'll have it for the Div 1 semi-final either. The Cavan game is on the horizon and that's going to be the focus for Monaghan. I have a feeling O'Rourke will change the line up around to give some lads a game ahead of Ulster SFC.

Maybe so but they really can't afford another hiding going into the Championship. You could write off last years Dublin game as a one off coming on the back of a gruelling extra time victory over Kildare. Pushing the boundaries a bit you could write off Sunday given that they had survived Div 1 and were heading on their hols the next day. However another bad beating from the Dubs will well and truely make them their bogey team in the same way that that tyrone were for years. If they line up not believing they can win then they won't win and it could end badly.

Hill16 Blues

Was sitting right beside it. Mone grabbed Flynn around the neck and pulled him down as Flynn tried to tackle him. Silly thing to do by Mone and certainly free for Dublin. Don't really see how ref awarded black card for it though.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on April 08, 2015, 12:10:53 AM

Was sitting right beside it. Mone grabbed Flynn around the neck and pulled him down as Flynn tried to tackle him. Silly thing to do by Mone and certainly free for Dublin. Don't really see how ref awarded black card for it though.
intentional pull down = black card

Jinxy

I wasn't there, nor did I see it on telly, but I'm pretty sure he did.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Jinxy on April 08, 2015, 05:06:39 PM

I wasn't there, nor did I see it on telly, but I'm pretty sure he did.
for a meath man that's not half bad

twohands!!!

Monaghan Team the same as the last day

1   Rory Beggan
2   Kieran Duffy
3   Drew Wylie
4   Ryan Wylie
5   Fintan Kelly
6   Vinny Corey
7   Karl O'Connell
8   Neil McAdam
9   Darren Hughes