lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2014, 05:02:05 PM
But he was acquitted in court..
Did you not read the rest of the posts?

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on October 15, 2014, 05:26:45 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2014, 05:02:05 PM
But he was acquitted in court..
Indeed, as the victim did not submit her evidence as she was outraged at how the peelers handled her case.

That, however, isn't really what the programme was about as far as I could gather. It was more about how the IRA allegedly treated the teenage girl after she had claimed that she had been raped by an alleged member of their organisation.
Yep, the main focus of the programme was how the allegations were handled, which if true, are disgraceful, regardless of whether or not there was any substance to the allegations. And Maíria Cahill seemed to be able to provide a significant level of detail and Jennifer O'Leary suggested that her account of events had been consistent over the space of many years.

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 15, 2014, 04:41:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2014, 04:31:34 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 15, 2014, 04:30:44 PM
kneecapping would have been the very least they should have done to him

god knows what info the guy must have possessed for them to let him off let alone shield him via sf

Was he not acquitted in court later on?

QuoteMs Cahill said that in 1997, when she was 16, she was subjected to a 12-month cycle of sexual abuse, including rape, by a man who was believed to be a member of the IRA.

The man denied the allegations and was later acquitted in court.
I don't know the case or last nights tv prog
but normally in rape/abuse cases, esp historic ones, there is little or no evidence

if he is innocent, then justice was done. Often this is not the situation though.
Im just going on the comments from earlier.
my stance is that any rapist should get shot
Maíria Cahill had gone to a Counsellor after the time of the alleged abuse and the Counsellor had detailed notes from those sessions, consistent with what she's saying now. I'd imagine that's a lot more than the prosecution could present in many historic cases.

Windmill abu

What this woman has suffered is horrendous but should not be used as a stick to beat the republican movement.
The N.I. Court System & The Republican Kangaroo Court System come to the same verdict on evidence gathered (By whatever means).
If the accusations are true then the N.I. courts have failed us more as we are expected to put our faith in them.
If this rape case didn't have the word Republican attached to it, would it have made the headlines or generated a thread on this Board?
Or are victims of Republican rape more important than other rape victims?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Maguire01

Quote from: Windmill abu on October 15, 2014, 09:28:44 PM
What this woman has suffered is horrendous but should not be used as a stick to beat the republican movement.
The N.I. Court System & The Republican Kangaroo Court System come to the same verdict on evidence gathered (By whatever means).
If the accusations are true then the N.I. courts have failed us more as we are expected to put our faith in them.
If this rape case didn't have the word Republican attached to it, would it have made the headlines or generated a thread on this Board?
The point is that this is presented as another case of "institutional" abuse.

And if this shouldn't be used as a stick to beat the republican movement, then the Brendan Smyth abuse shouldn't be use as a stick to beat the Catholic Church.

LeoMc

Quote from: Windmill abu on October 15, 2014, 09:28:44 PM

The courts can only work with whatever  evidence is available after others (Republican or not) have  delayed the reporting and muddied the water.

nrico2006

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 15, 2014, 08:36:19 PM

god knows what info the guy must have possessed for them to let him off let alone shield him via sf

QuoteMs Cahill said that in 1997, when she was 16, she was subjected to a 12-month cycle of sexual abuse, including rape, by a man who was believed to be a member of the IRA.

but normally in rape/abuse cases, esp historic ones, there is little or no evidence

if he is innocent, then justice was done. Often this is not the situation though.
Maíria Cahill had gone to a Counsellor after the time of the alleged abuse and the Counsellor had detailed notes from those sessions, consistent with what she's saying now. I'd imagine that's a lot more than the prosecution could present in many historic cases.

Is that really something that proves a mans guilt though - no.  Just because someone is consistent doesn't mean they are telling the truth.  Plenty of people out there that are consistent at lying. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

winghalfback

So the girl had a gripe against the said abuser and made the whole thing up and now it has come this far.     I think the worst thing about the whole thing is the fact that SF have shyed away from the story an. d avoided it by releasing a broad statement. Its just another stick to beat the party with.
I also think if SF were not in the position they are in all over Ireland ie. the largest party on the island this programme would not have been aired by the BBC.

orangeman

Quote from: winghalfback on October 16, 2014, 11:41:55 AM
So the girl had a gripe against the said abuser and made the whole thing up and now it has come this far.     I think the worst thing about the whole thing is the fact that SF have shyed away from the story an. d avoided it by releasing a broad statement. Its just another stick to beat the party with.
I also think if SF were not in the position they are in all over Ireland ie. the largest party on the island this programme would not have been aired by the BBC.

Is it was Fianna Fail or Fine Gael, the DUP or SDLP, do you reckon BBC wouldn't have run it ?.

Iris got some touch a few years ago to be fair to the BBC.

winghalfback

Quote from: orangeman on October 16, 2014, 12:27:38 PM
Quote from: winghalfback on October 16, 2014, 11:41:55 AM

Is it was Fianna Fail or Fine Gael, the DUP or SDLP, do you reckon BBC wouldn't have run it ?.

Iris got some touch a few years ago to be fair to the BBC.

Many things have happened in unionism and nationalism that have not been reported the way this has. Remember talks started today this is just another branch for the dup and the loyalists to cling to, another way for them to say we don't have to talk to sf because of this issue mike nesbitt has already jumped on that ship i think its more a case of stop the rise of sf that im talkin about bbc run that play at every opportunity. I have already stated that sf have not helped themselves in this situation by remaining silent bar a broad statement.

I am slowly becoming more and more disillusioned with the way the party carries on these days from things they say and do to things they don't. I am a card carrying member and have been for over 20 years from the time i could vote and have stuck by them through all the other hard to swallow issues but maybe this is a step to far.
Morality is important. This issue is something a feel strongly about and quite frankly its something im disgusted at and the fact im involved with an organisation at the centre of it makes me sick.
Maybe im the only one feels like this.

Maguire01

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 16, 2014, 11:33:59 AM

Is that really something that proves a mans guilt though - no.  Just because someone is consistent doesn't mean they are telling the truth.  Plenty of people out there that are consistent at lying.
It's actually very difficult to lie consistently with great detail. It's not like simply saying " I wasn't in organisation X" repeatedly.

Minder

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 16, 2014, 10:22:21 PM

It's actually very difficult to lie consistently with great detail. It's not like simply saying " I wasn't in organisation X" repeatedly.

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember everything" - Mark Twain
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maguire01

Quote from: Minder on October 16, 2014, 10:25:42 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 16, 2014, 10:22:21 PM

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember everything" - Mark Twain
But you probably have to avoid contradicting yourself.

Applesisapples

Adams has no credibility, fast becoming a liability.