El Camino De Santiago

Started by BennyCake, April 24, 2013, 07:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

I've heard quite a lot lately about the pilgrimage trail in Northern Spain, the 'El Camino De Santiago' (or the way of St James).

I recently watched the film 'The Way' (starring Martin Sheen, Emilio Estevez and James Nesbitt), and then happened to see a TG4 series, following a RnaG presenter Ronan from Donegal, who also walked the Camino. I've heard it on the radio, and seen in numerous newspapers and magazines too.

I've noticed there's a few walking trails now in Ireland as well. Most notably, the one from Westport to Achill Island. 

I'm not sure I could ever do the Camino (approx 500 miles), but I would think about walking the shorter trails. 

In the film, Martin Sheen is a 60-something year old, who is obviously not a keen walker, but literally flies through the 500 mile trail, So, I don't think it's as easy as just turning up with no training done beforehand. It does seem very tough.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever walked the Camino, or something similar? I'd like to hear about your experiences, or of people you know that may have walked it (or something similar).

Rois

I know a man who has done part of it. My cousin is planning on doing it this year.

The film would really inspire you - I loved it, bought it on DVD and have shared it around friends and family.

There's a book called Buen Camino written jointly by an Irish father and daughter who started with Croagh Patrick and it led them to the Camino.

The sports shop out at Dundrum in Dublin, can't rem the name but it is one with its doors to the outside - it seems to run talks on it pretty frequently.

Billys Boots

A friend of mine does it fairly regularly, well bits of it anyway.  He reckons it does him the world of good, psychologically.  And he's an atheist.   ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Declan

QuoteA friend of mine does it fairly regularly, well bits of it anyway.  He reckons it does him the world of good, psychologically.  And he's an atheist.   

Brilliant. Or as Dara O'Briain says I don't believe in God anymore but I'm still an Irish catholic

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: BennyCake on April 24, 2013, 07:22:42 PM
I've heard quite a lot lately about the pilgrimage trail in Northern Spain, the 'El Camino De Santiago' (or the way of St James).

I recently watched the film 'The Way' (starring Martin Sheen, Emilio Estevez and James Nesbitt), and then happened to see a TG4 series, following a RnaG presenter Ronan from Donegal, who also walked the Camino. I've heard it on the radio, and seen in numerous newspapers and magazines too.

I've noticed there's a few walking trails now in Ireland as well. Most notably, the one from Westport to Achill Island.

I'm not sure I could ever do the Camino (approx 500 miles), but I would think about walking the shorter trails.

In the film, Martin Sheen is a 60-something year old, who is obviously not a keen walker, but literally flies through the 500 mile trail, So, I don't think it's as easy as just turning up with no training done beforehand. It does seem very tough.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever walked the Camino, or something similar? I'd like to hear about your experiences, or of people you know that may have walked it (or something similar).

There are a number of different routes. The most popular one starts in St Jean Pied de Port, just inside the French border.
I walked about 150 miles of this route and have to say in the height of summer, it's quite demanding!
Accommodation along the way is quite basic. Of course you can choose to stay at hotels or guest houses but you won't
get the same out of the experience if you don't stay in the pilgrim's hostels.
Overall it's a great way to spend a couple of weeks.
Two things I would certainly recommend - do some training beforehand and buy walking poles. They are invaluable especially when walking down hills.

Hound

Quote from: BennyCake on April 24, 2013, 07:22:42 PM
In the film, Martin Sheen is a 60-something year old, who is obviously not a keen walker, but literally flies through the 500 mile trail
Helicopter, or is he a super hero in it?

Canalman

Quote from: Declan on April 25, 2013, 09:22:13 AM
QuoteA friend of mine does it fairly regularly, well bits of it anyway.  He reckons it does him the world of good, psychologically.  And he's an atheist.   

Brilliant. Or as Dara O'Briain says I don't believe in God anymore but I'm still an Irish catholic

New term I believe is a Census Catholic.

Hardy

Quote from: Declan on April 25, 2013, 09:22:13 AM

Likewise, I know a fair number of people, from atheists to sceptics, who have done this. They all loved it and a large proportion repeated it, or intend to.

I don't know of anyone who did the whole thing. The usual procedure seems to be to walk the last however-many miles into Santiago that you can do in the time you have available. There are organised tours where you walk 10-20 miles a day and your gear gets delivered to your next lodgings, etc.

Hardy

The "No' a lo' o' people know this" slot.

St. James's Gate in Dublin, nowadays known as the home of (an indifferent brand of) stout, is so named because it was the starting point in Ireland for the pilgrim route to Santiago de Compostella.

seafoid

I think Santiago was Santiago Matamoros, the Muslim killer. Did he drone much?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ardal

The camino depends on when you tackle it. In the height of summer or winter is can be a real pain.

Pyscially the toughtest part is from sant Jean Pied de port to roncas valles (northern Navarra), but as it's at the start you're ready for it. Only a basic level of fitness is required.

More importantly is the clothing you wear and the weight you carry in your backpack / rucksack.

The accommoadation and price you pay is second to nothing you'll experience back home. Clean, welcoming, comfortable.

Plan to walk minimal distances per day. For the more advantureous we're talikng 30km, but most of us should keep around the 20/25 km mark.

If you start 100km (I think) from Santiago de C. and get the camino passport stamped you can still get the cert at the end; but that's cheating in my book.

The most interesting parts for me where going up and over fron Sant Jean de pied and then the bits at the latter stages entering galciaxz. La Rioja is a bit flat and windy for my liking.

Companianship beats everything hands down. Not a believer but the people are great and the characters you meet are next to none.

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 25, 2013, 09:01:16 AM
A friend of mine does it fairly regularly, well bits of it anyway.  He reckons it does him the world of good, psychologically.  And he's an atheist.   ;)

Who'd have thought going for a walk through beautiful countryside would make you feel good.

BennyCake

Good documentary on during the week on RTE featuring women who had overcome cancer, took to walking part of the route.

I'd still like to give it a go. Probably not all at once though. Wouldn't be fit for a months walking nor could afford it in one go.

The Iceman

We've been talking about the Camino for a long time - even toyed with the idea of moving to St Jean pied de Port and opening a guest house
May still happen.
Something very alluring about it - for Christians and non Christians alike.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

thejuice

My folks have walked bits of it. They started in St Jean in France. Can't remember what stages they did. However there is more than one route and my wife who is from the north of Spain says the coastal route is the most impressive.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016