Jim Gavin

Started by imtommygunn, November 30, 2019, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

For all his boring interviews etc. I think we can all agree he was a phenomenal manager and an even better man. Brolly's article about him basically says it all!

I'm telling you he will be very difficult to replace I think it leave this year wide open (obvs when I say wide open I mean Kerry have a slight chance).

Good luck to him he has had some managerial career... I wonder though was it his call or had something happened?? We'll see I guess!

Dubhaltach

His record speaks for itself and he will deservedly go down as one of the all time greats. For all the praise he gets, I think his greatest quality often got overlooked, which was his on-field decision making/team selection. While he obviously had a talented management team around him, he had the final say and he almost always seemed to get it right...2016-throwing in a relatively unknown Cormac Costello who proceeded to single-handedly win it for them, 2017-Not starting Connolly and then unleashing him when the game was in the melting pot, deciding to start Eoin Murchan in the replay this year, the list goes on.

For me though, I'll remember him as the man who sucked the life out of Gaelic football. The endless platitude infested interviews, the lack of even a smile after wining the three in a row in 2017, the way his ruthlessly efficient, yet robotic team tore away any element of surprise or competitiveness from the Leinster championship before essentially doing the same thing to the AI Championship (bar 1 game a year against Kerry or Mayo).
His two faced utterances about playing 'honest open' football while his team brought cynicism to new levels. There is no way that the co-ordinated pull down of several Mayo defenders at the exact same time at the end of that final was a spur the moment decision by the Dublin players. I don't blame the Dublin management for organising it (I would have gladly taken an All-Ireland win had the Mayo management done the same) however I do think Gavin's deceitful shite in the media needed to be called out a lot more.

So despite his great qualities as a manger, I can't help but think that his departure will be a positive thing for Gaelic football as a whole.

Hound

Quote from: Dubhaltach on December 01, 2019, 01:54:17 AM

There is no way that the co-ordinated pull down of several Mayo defenders at the exact same time at the end of that final was a spur the moment decision by the Dublin players. I don't blame the Dublin management for organising it (I would have gladly taken an All-Ireland win had the Mayo management done the same)

Gas how bitterness can make people lose their memory/sense.

The pull down played no part in Dublin winning the All Ireland. Touch tight was what the plan was, not wrestling Keegan to the ground, regardless of GPS throwing. Gavin was annoyed at that. Meant the ref added on an extra minute and Mayo had an extra man to get the equalizer. Thankfully Clarke sailed his kick out right over the sideline!!

Hound

Phenomenal manager and a great man.

I personally think there must have been a change in circumstances in his personal life that has caused the re-think. The very best of luck to him for his future

Dubhaltach

Quote from: Hound on December 01, 2019, 07:38:04 AM
Quote from: Dubhaltach on December 01, 2019, 01:54:17 AM

There is no way that the co-ordinated pull down of several Mayo defenders at the exact same time at the end of that final was a spur the moment decision by the Dublin players. I don't blame the Dublin management for organising it (I would have gladly taken an All-Ireland win had the Mayo management done the same)

Gas how bitterness can make people lose their memory/sense.

The pull down played no part in Dublin winning the All Ireland. Touch tight was what the plan was, not wrestling Keegan to the ground, regardless of GPS throwing. Gavin was annoyed at that. Meant the ref added on an extra minute and Mayo had an extra man to get the equalizer. Thankfully Clarke sailed his kick out right over the sideline!!

Gas how victory can make people lose their memory/sense.

Maybe Clarke might have got his kickout to a mayo player if Keegan, Durcan, Harrison and Stephen Coen hadn't all been wrestled as soon as soon as Rock's free went over? Mayo were always going to get one last chance regardless of the stoppage, that's how referees work it and it will stay the same until a stopclock is brought in and this timing farce is ended.

Look, Dublin deserved the win, they took more of their scoring opportunities. I was merely using the above example to highlight Gavin's two-faced shite about Dublin playing 'honest' football. It is possible to highlight things like this while also acknowledging his obvious talents as a manager.   

seafoid

The context is all wrong. He got a lot out of his panel. 5 in a row. 36 match unbeaten streak. But we are not in football as usual.

The Dubs won their first Sam of the decade in 2011 after a long period of mediocrity.  Mayo reached their first final in 2012.
That Mayo team is past it now. The Dubs aren't

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/jim-gavin-leaves-dublin-with-history-made-and-gaelic-football-transformed-1.4100789?mode=amp

« Paul Flynn, Bernard Brogan and Diarmuid Connolly were pillars of his teams over the first three or four years. Didn't matter. Over time, they were replaced by Niall Scully, Con O'Callaghan and Brian Howard. Philly McMahon was the only Dublin defender to play every minute of every final under Gavin between 2013 and 2018. Didn't matter. This year he didn't feature in the drawn game at all and only saw the last 15 minutes of the replay. Davy Byrne and Eoin Murchan have both passed him. »

They can do this because they have the biggest production line in the sport. They can prime players to replace superstars without changing the performance levels of the team. That is what the funding allowed. This can go on indefinitely

Mayo were mortal
The Dubs have a perpetual football motion machine

The GAA have no idea what to do now.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

greatpoint

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 30, 2019, 02:27:42 PM
A remarkable achievement winning 5 in a row and 6 AI's in a decade. Huge pressure given their financial and home advantage. There is a huge expectation to succeed with such advantages. Managers like Mancini, Mourinho, Guardiola have shown that it takes a good managers to deal with such pressures and get you team over the line. It's not as easy as it looks. Others would have failed. Would have been Manager of 7 in a row except for complacency against Donegal in 2014. I suppose that was the last time he was caught off guard and it ensured the drive for 5 in a row.

The loss to Donegal in 2014 was more hubris than complacency. Gavin's only real error in his tenure with the Dublin seniors.

Angelo

It will be interesting to see how Dublin get on.

Gavin has done a fantastic job with them but I do think people go overboard about him, time will tell whether I'm wrong here or not. Dublin GAA had got its grassroots and structures right from the bottom level when Gavin took over and with that in place it's extremely difficult to compete with Dublin given the superior natural advantages they have over all their competition in playing numbers and finances and also in terms of keeping their biggest talents both from the lurches of the AFL and emigration.

If his predecessor can keep the same level of domination for Dublin in the subsequent years it will more or less dampen a little bite of the adulation of Gavin. There's no doubt Gavin is a good manager and has done a great job with Dublin but it will be time that will tell us just how great Gavin was with Dublin.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Dubhaltach

Quote from: seafoid on December 01, 2019, 01:40:52 PM
The context is all wrong. He got a lot out of his panel. 5 in a row. 36 match unbeaten streak. But we are not in football as usual.

The Dubs won their first Sam of the decade in 2011 after a long period of mediocrity.  Mayo reached their first final in 2012.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/jim-gavin-leaves-dublin-with-history-made-and-gaelic-football-transformed-1.4100789?mode=amp

« Paul Flynn, Bernard Brogan and Diarmuid Connolly were pillars of his teams over the first three or four years. Didn't matter. Over time, they were replaced by Niall Scully, Con O'Callaghan and Brian Howard. Philly McMahon was the only Dublin defender to play every minute of every final under Gavin between 2013 and 2018. Didn't matter. This year he didn't feature in the drawn game at all and only saw the last 15 minutes of the replay. Davy Byrne and Eoin Murchan have both passed him. »

They can do this because they have the biggest production line in the sport. They can prime players to replace superstars without changing the performance levels of the team. That is what the funding allowed. This can go on indefinitely

Mayo were mortal

If that Mayo team are past it now, then surely 'that' Dublin team are also past it. The reality is both counties have 2 totally different teams playing at the moment.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on December 01, 2019, 02:01:32 PM
It will be interesting to see how Dublin get on.

Gavin has done a fantastic job with them but I do think people go overboard about him, time will tell whether I'm wrong here or not. Dublin GAA had got its grassroots and structures right from the bottom level when Gavin took over and with that in place it's extremely difficult to compete with Dublin given the superior natural advantages they have over all their competition in playing numbers and finances and also in terms of keeping their biggest talents both from the lurches of the AFL and emigration.

If his predecessor can keep the same level of domination for Dublin in the subsequent years it will more or less dampen a little bite of the adulation of Gavin. There's no doubt Gavin is a good manager and has done a great job with Dublin but it will be time that will tell us just how great Gavin was with Dublin.

I think you mean successor

HiMucker

Dublin wouldn't get out of the Tyrone senior championship

seafoid

Quote from: Dubhaltach on December 01, 2019, 02:34:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 01, 2019, 01:40:52 PM

« Paul Flynn, Bernard Brogan and Diarmuid Connolly were pillars of his teams over the first three or four years. Didn't matter. Over time, they were replaced by Niall Scully, Con O'Callaghan and Brian Howard. Philly McMahon was the only Dublin defender to play every minute of every final under Gavin between 2013 and 2018. Didn't matter. This year he didn't feature in the drawn game at all and only saw the last 15 minutes of the replay. Davy Byrne and Eoin Murchan have both passed him. »

Mayo were mortal

If that Mayo team are past it now, then surely 'that' Dublin team are also past it. The reality is both counties have 2 totally different teams playing at the moment.
Keegan and AOS will get old. Or pick 2 Limerick hurlers. It's not about Mayo. Mayo won't be able to replace the 2 with new players of equal talent. It would take time to develop. That is how it works for most teams. The Dubs can replace stars without impeding the performance of the team because of the machine they have in place.

That's why they are such a threat to the GAA. It's why Kerry now are focusing on the roll of honour.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lenny

Quote from: HiMucker on December 01, 2019, 06:43:44 PM
Dublin wouldn't get out of the Tyrone senior championship

lol 😂

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on December 01, 2019, 12:43:16 AM
For all his boring interviews etc. I think we can all agree he was a phenomenal manager and an even better man. Brolly's article about him basically says it all!

I'm telling you he will be very difficult to replace I think it leave this year wide open (obvs when I say wide open I mean Kerry have a slight chance).

Good luck to him he has had some managerial career... I wonder though was it his call or had something happened?? We'll see I guess!

His record as manager will be better judged in a few years time. For me he is the greatest manager of all time. A lot of people question his qualities as they say dublin had big advantages. I think Dublin will now struggle to dominate and I can see teams like Kerry in particular, Mayo, Galway and even Cork having opportunities to win all irelands over the next few years.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: lenny on December 01, 2019, 08:32:44 PM
Quote from: screenexile on December 01, 2019, 12:43:16 AM

His record as manager will be better judged in a few years time. For me he is the greatest manager of all time. A lot of people question his qualities as they say dublin had big advantages. I think Dublin will now struggle to dominate and I can see teams like Kerry in particular, Mayo, Galway and even Cork having opportunities to win all irelands over the next few years.

Cork have a lot of ground to make up and will be more than a few years before they are challenging for a senior All Ireland again.