Meath's demise

Started by agorm, July 10, 2016, 11:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 29, 2016, 10:24:28 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 28, 2016, 01:57:11 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2016, 03:38:49 PM
Is this his first time going for it on his own? Comes across very well any time I hear him. What's his management background like apart from BSE?

He was the minor manager in 2012 when we lost to Dublin in the all-ireland final (after losing to them in Leinster).
He's the right man for the job, the only question I have is if it's the right time for him to take it.
I'd nearly rather he took over the minors AND the u-21s to be honest.
Until we start getting things right at those grades, there's only so much that can be done at senior level.

Interesting, why haven't we seen this already? The championships run back to back nearly so could be done. It would definitely help progression and communication between the panels.

Interesting idea especially if you want to establish a style of play and philosophy that all players are comfortable with when they graduate to senior. Currently in Kildare Bryan Murphy the junior footballer from Cork is a senior selector and current u21 manager. Bryan was instrumental in helping establish our current underage strucures and was minor manager 4 years ago when we won Leinster. I would like to see Brendan Hackett succeed him as u21 manager and join up with the seniors also as a selector.

#newbridgeornowhere

DuffleKing

How would any man manage the logistics of that and hold down a job?

Hound

Quote from: seafoid on July 19, 2016, 07:56:25 PM
the process whereby a team declines and becomes seriously mediocre is very interesting . There are no quick fixes . Why meath should be down longer than Galway is not clear.
Turns out that beating a Mayo team not bothered and a shite Roscommon team after 2 attempts, does not make Galway any further along the line than Meath!

mrhardyannual

There is a great tendency to look for success at U21 level as a precursor to Senior success. This may happen, but it sometimes hides a more important factor.... the strength of club football in a county. The success of Corofin has hidden the horrific decline in club football in Galway and more particularly in North Galway. Tuam, Milltown & Dunmore, the powerhouses of Galway football, havent been seen in years. Likewise  in Meath I think. When did we last hear of Navan O Mahony's, Summerhill etc. Mayo success in the 90s was built on the strengths of Ballina, Knockmore and Crossmolina and has been sustained by the emergence of Mitchels, Ballintubber and Breaffy. U21 successes are a reflection of this, not the cause.

thejuice

I read a rumour on Hoganstand.com (I know I know, I've little else to be doing to be honest) and its saying Andy has made the following demands:

1. county chairman and treasurer to step down - they fell out when he was Minor manager

2. wants to change the county championships to knock outs - something Sean Boylan was always in favour of and objected to the change to a league format.

3. has requested a trainer and a strength and conditioning coach with bigger fees than previous managers.

If this is true he might have put himself out of the running. That said, knowing what things are like at club level it could easily be bullshite based on begrudgery.

Other nominees to the county manager job are Barry Callaghan, Sean Barry Pete McGrath.

Andy has a proven track record and to be honest we should be hiring the best available, and I think that would be him. In all due respect to Pete McGrath, as Mick O'Dowd rightly pointed out is it in the interests of outside mangers to do whats best for the county in the long run. It might not be.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hound

Quote from: thejuice on July 31, 2016, 08:14:18 PM
I read a rumour on Hoganstand.com (I know I know, I've little else to be doing to be honest) and its saying Andy has made the following demands:

1. county chairman and treasurer to step down - they fell out when he was Minor manager

2. wants to change the county championships to knock outs - something Sean Boylan was always in favour of and objected to the change to a league format.

3. has requested a trainer and a strength and conditioning coach with bigger fees than previous managers.

If this is true he might have put himself out of the running. That said, knowing what things are like at club level it could easily be bullshite based on begrudgery.

Other nominees to the county manager job are Barry Callaghan, Sean Barry Pete McGrath.

Andy has a proven track record and to be honest we should be hiring the best available, and I think that would be him. In all due respect to Pete McGrath, as Mick O'Dowd rightly pointed out is it in the interests of outside mangers to do whats best for the county in the long run. It might not be.
number 1 is clearly a lie juice. Question is what objective would someone have to put that stuff on the internet. Someone in the anti-Mcentee camp for sure.

thejuice

Yeah it probably is.

All the same I have my doubts as to whether the county board will make the rational and right decision when the time comes.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

If it was posted on Hogan Stand you can take it to the bank.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

Andy McEntee appointed.

Back room includes Gerry McEntee, Finian Murtagh and Donal Curtis.

All I can say is I'm looking forward to next season but my expectations will be kept in check. Can he get more out of these lads than we've already seen.

LilySavage

If he can somehow get the GAA to get rid of the half time break, ur onto a winner.

Jinxy

Don't you worry, we're already working on the motion for congress.

joemamas

Quote from: Jinxy on July 31, 2016, 10:56:08 PM
If it was posted on Hogan Stand you can take it to the bank.

Yeah, Anglo Irish

seafoid

Meath's demise  bears itself  very nobly amongst all the whining about the Tyrone match
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Without honour we are nothing.

Rossfan

I see a Meath Club wants to break the world handpassing record :'(
Is it any wonder ye've fallen so low.
Bring back the oul' manliness and leave the girly stuff to us.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM