NFL Division 2 2019

Started by Horse Box, November 22, 2018, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Niall Kelly has gone but there's a good chance Dan Flynn will be around for a while yet.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hound

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 28, 2018, 05:18:35 PM
Niall Kelly has gone but there's a good chance Dan Flynn will be around for a while yet.
Feck, hadn't heard about Kelly. Just giving it up or is he leaving the country?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on November 29, 2018, 09:29:07 AM

Back for the championship, 6 months traveling. A deserved break for Niall.
#newbridgeornowhere

spuds

Heard on Wolly FM that Eoin Flaherty back in with Kildare, 29 so should have plenty still to offer.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 29, 2018, 10:31:57 AM
Quote from: Hound on November 29, 2018, 09:29:07 AM

Back for the championship, 6 months traveling. A deserved break for Niall.

Agreed. After a poorish 18 months for a player of his ability he was beginning to hit form during the Super 8s and he was very good in the club championship. Break should do him good. His absence will give plenty of opportunities for the likes of McCormack and Hyland to step up.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

thejuice

Apart from Cork and Donegal away I think the rest are all reasonably winnable if we play to our potential or close to it. There's a few players whose names are doing the hokey pokey on the panel this time of year as usual but by the looks of it Michael Newman is definitely back and hitting good form so adds a bit more to our attack and free tacking options.

We might once again have another year without anyone from Simonstown on the panel which is a shame but it seems bridges have been burned during Andy's first year and no sign of them being mended.

Anyway, all eyes focused on retaining the O'Byrne Cup and seeing what sort of panel emerges from that.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

tippabu

Quote from: thejuice on December 02, 2018, 01:56:37 PM
Apart from Cork and Donegal away I think the rest are all reasonably winnable if we play to our potential or close to it. There's a few players whose names are doing the hokey pokey on the panel this time of year as usual but by the looks of it Michael Newman is definitely back and hitting good form so adds a bit more to our attack and free tacking options.

We might once again have another year without anyone from Simonstown on the panel which is a shame but it seems bridges have been burned during Andy's first year and no sign of them being mended.

Anyway, all eyes focused on retaining the O'Byrne Cup and seeing what sort of panel emerges from that.

Why do you fear cork away? What exactly have cork done to have you writing this off....on form they are no better or worse than most in the division.

Gweedore winning today will mean Donegal are down some very big players now.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: tippabu on December 02, 2018, 04:13:16 PM

Why do you fear cork away? What exactly have cork done to have you writing this off....on form they are no better or worse than most in the division.

Yes Cork are not to be feared. They are unable to defend however that's the same for most in this Division. I think Donegal will manage without them as they have better strength in depth than any other team in Division two. Gweedore players will be back by round 4 of the NFL as its hard to see them beat Corofin.

thejuice

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 02, 2018, 05:05:32 PM
Quote from: tippabu on December 02, 2018, 04:13:16 PM

Yes Cork are not to be feared. They are unable to defend however that's the same for most in this Division. I think Donegal will manage without them as they have better strength in depth than any other team in Division two. Gweedore players will be back by round 4 of the NFL as its hard to see them beat Corofin.

We don't have a great record away from home in the league and Cork have made us look poor a couple of times as well. I know they were poor in the championship this year but you can't say we're great either.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

armaghniac

Quote from: thejuice on December 02, 2018, 10:39:32 PM
We don't have a great record away from home in the league and Cork have made us look poor a couple of times as well. I know they were poor in the championship this year but you can't say we're great either.

If you win the mighty O'Byrne cup, this will intimidate the other teams.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thejuice

Hah, if only.  ;D

Did nothing for us last year. No one fears us now. The aura surrounding Meath football has finally shifted in the last 3 or 4 years but it was gone long ago. Only certain people in the media who weren't paying any attention kept painting a particular image of us in the run up to a game. But the lads from 2006-2010 were talented enough to win some silverware but not cut from the same cloth as the teams from the 1980's or 1990's. Since then there's hardly a household name you could mention from the panel with the exception of Graham Reilly perhaps.

illdecide

Armagh will have a bit more fire power this year, Jamie Clarke, Stefan Campbell and the two O'Neills from Cross will add another string to the bow. Not sure how Jamie Clarke will fare out, haven't seen him play in a while and the defensive play teams have not certainly won't suit him but its definitely something else's to give the opposition something to think about.
I would also hope James Morgan is on board for next season, a tough hard corner back who you wouldn't want marking you (can giveaway a fewer frees but is def better on your team)

McGeeney will expect a big year from Armagh and so will the fans...looking forward to it tbh...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Maroon Manc

Thats a huge blow for Kildare with Daniel Flynn not around next year.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 03, 2018, 12:22:01 PM

Just shows you how realistic the intercounty footballers are about their counties chances in the current climate.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 03, 2018, 12:30:34 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 03, 2018, 12:22:01 PM

Just shows you how realistic the intercounty footballers are about their counties chances in the current climate.

I think it shows studying for a masters comes before amateur game and this summer is probably the only time to go traveling for a few months as he gets himself a full time job.