FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Syferus on January 22, 2016, 03:54:28 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 22, 2016, 03:45:17 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 22, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 22, 2016, 10:29:51 AM
Update on some of our injury problems, promotion not looking likely at all.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/walsh-voices-concern-over-tribesmens-rising-injury-list-34386407.html

Very little chance of promotion I'd say. Practically 8 or 9 first choice players from last year will miss most if not all of the league campaign. Staying up I'd say will be the bigger concern.

With their best days behind them I think it's time Galway start looking to replace Bradshaw,Hanley. Good news to have Shane Walsh back soon he is one of the best young footballers around when in top form.

..who'd only been starting in spot duty even before last year's tragedy. Ian Burke was to my eyes the most complete of the Walsh-Burke-Varley inside line at U21 yet he's no where to be seen under Walsh.

Apparently Ian Burke was told to go away and work on strength and conditioning, looking at the game against Castlebar there doesn't look to be much difference in him to 12 months ago. I've got no issues with him not been on the panel.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 22, 2016, 04:44:49 PM

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/walsh-voices-concern-over-tribesmens-rising-injury-list-34386407.html

Very little chance of promotion I'd say. Practically 8 or 9 first choice players from last year will miss most if not all of the league campaign. Staying up I'd say will be the bigger concern.

With their best days behind them I think it's time Galway start looking to replace Bradshaw,Hanley. Good news to have Shane Walsh back soon he is one of the best young footballers around when in top form.

..who'd only been starting in spot duty even before last year's tragedy. Ian Burke was to my eyes the most complete of the Walsh-Burke-Varley inside line at U21 yet he's no where to be seen under Walsh.

Apparently Ian Burke was told to go away and work on strength and conditioning, looking at the game against Castlebar there doesn't look to be much difference in him to 12 months ago. I've got no issues with him not been on the panel.

Looks no lighter than Jamie Clarke or Gooch. Shane Walsh or Varley are far removed from tanks too. Danny Cummins is a regular starter for Walsh. Much more likely it's a James Horan/Evan Regan situation where the manager just doesn't fancy the player. Don't know how anyone could look at Galway's panel and say they're better for the lack of Burke.

It's certainly not going to hurt our chances on Sunday or in Connacht to have him twiddling his thumbs for the next six months.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Syferus on January 22, 2016, 04:56:29 PM

Looks no lighter than Jamie Clarke or Gooch. Shane Walsh or Varley are far removed from tanks too. Danny Cummins is a regular starter for Walsh. Much more likely it's a James Horan/Evan Regan situation where the manager just doesn't fancy the player. Don't know how anyone could look at Galway's panel and say they're better for the lack of Burke.

It's certainly not going to hurt our chances on Sunday or in Connacht to have him twiddling his thumbs for the next six months.

You're comparing him to the Gooch and Jamie Clarke!! He's nowhere near as talented as either of them. I've not seen or heard anyone complain about his exclusion from the panel so its nothing like an Evan Regan situation. As for Danny Cummins he's very very quick and is considerably stronger than Burke. Burke isn't very quick either.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 22, 2016, 05:31:40 PM

You're comparing him to the Gooch and Jamie Clarke!! He's nowhere near as talented as either of them. I've not seen or heard anyone complain about his exclusion from the panel so its nothing like an Evan Regan situation. As for Danny Cummins he's very very quick and is considerably stronger than Burke. Burke isn't very quick either.

What exactly is incorrect about comparing the body types of Gooch and Clarke with Burke? Both probably significantly lighter than him.

Rossfan

Never mind all the blather..... Who's going to win the first biteen of silver in 2016?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Syferus on January 22, 2016, 05:34:01 PM

What exactly is incorrect about comparing the body types of Gooch and Clarke with Burke? Both probably significantly lighter than him.

If Ian Burke had as much talent as either of them than it would be relevant but he doesn't, their both special talents whilst Ian Burke isn't.

Cunny Funt

Ian Burke has played important roles in Galways 2013 U21 and Corofins 2015 All Ireland success and I think it's more than been a little light as to why he hasn't seen more game time with Galway seniors.

GalwayBayBoy

The thing with Ian Burke is he's fairly small but not that quick either. Often small players can compensate for their lack of heft with speed. He hasn't got either really. He is however a very skillful player but I do wonder how he'd hold up to the rigours of intercounty defending. He's not someone who is going to win much if any 50/50 ball. You really have to work him into space. Corofin are great at doing that at club level as they often overwhelm teams but intercounty is a different kettle of fish. I still wouldn't mind him being given a chance during the league though.

Gael85

Are any of the Farragher on Galway panel? Pity Ian Burke not involved. A class act anytime I seen him.

mouview

But Burke can finish, (see club championship last year), whereas Cummins misses a sitter a game (see Cavan league game last year, blazed a shot over the bar just before half-time, we'd be in Div. I now if it went under). I'd have Burke all week long ahead of Cummins.

Bit of a red herring for Walsh to be complaining about injuries; bar Shane Walsh, all of the others are much of a muchness. Big Kev should really be brave and throw in as much youth as he can, Enda Tierney, Michael Daly, Eoin Finnerty etc. Can do no worse than the panel that's been there since pre-Mulholland and achieved nothing.

Duine Eile

Ian Burke isn't on the panel because he doesn't want to be from what I heard, he was in New York for Galways opener last year and left the panel shortly after.

Syferus

Quote from: Duine Eile on January 22, 2016, 11:03:13 PM
Ian Burke isn't on the panel because he doesn't want to be from what I heard, he was in New York for Galways opener last year and left the panel shortly after.

And I'm sure the reason he doesn't want to be has nothing to do with Kevin Walsh..

larryin89

Mark, we will take young Burke off Ye no bother . I think he is classy
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Duine Eile

Ian was also dropped for a couple of Corofin championship matches this year, make of that what you like Syferus but the common denominator here is Burke himself.

Syferus

Quote from: Duine Eile on January 23, 2016, 12:37:21 AM
Ian was also dropped for a couple of Corofin championship matches this year, make of that what you like Syferus but the common denominator here is Burke himself.

Still one of there key forwards. What matches? Rested and dropped are two different things. But good work trying to bad mouth a young footballer. Walsh has a track record of alienating players. He's the common denominator and anyone looking at it honestly can see it.