NFL Div 2 2020

Started by Laoiseabu, October 18, 2019, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Quote from: Laoiseabu on October 26, 2019, 04:22:07 PM
Quote from: les Antiques on October 26, 2019, 03:36:47 PM
The emergence of Murphy from Port last year on the inter county scene can lessen the damage of Donie s absence .
There's no one in Laois capable of filling the boots of an on form Donie. Was unplayable on his day .

Agree 100 %. He was the only player Cork struggled with. At his best, he is miles ahead of every other forward in Laois.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Hopefully a few of last year's older U-20's step up and prove they belong at this level. Robert Tyrell and Eoin Dunne will hopefully bring freshness to an area that Laois have struggled with in recent times, at midfield.

Diarmuid Whelan had a great year with the U-20's last year as well and has physically bulked up. A full-forward line of Whelan, O'Carroll and Murphy could be interesting to see in action.

Chrimtain

Quote from: High Fielder on October 26, 2019, 09:29:09 PM
The emergence of Murphy from Port last year on the inter county scene can lessen the damage of Donie s absence .
There's no one in Laois capable of filling the boots of an on form Donie. Was unplayable on his day .

Agree 100 %. He was the only player Cork struggled with. At his best, he is miles ahead of every other forward in Laois.

And, thre is no point having someone who is not fully committed.

The PRO

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on October 26, 2019, 10:42:19 PM
Hopefully a few of last year's older U-20's step up and prove they belong at this level. Robert Tyrell and Eoin Dunne will hopefully bring freshness to an area that Laois have struggled with in recent times, at midfield.

Diarmuid Whelan had a great year with the U-20's last year as well and has physically bulked up. A full-forward line of Whelan, O'Carroll and Murphy could be interesting to see in action.
No idea who will or won't commit but we need to find some decent defenders. Corner backs in particular. I can see Saunders and O'Flynn playing if committed. Maybe Lacey of Ballylinan too.
Up front Whelan looks the part and maybe Kinsella and Barry will figure too.

Joeythelips

Quote from: High Fielder on October 26, 2019, 09:29:09 PM

Donie reminds me of Paul Pogba for Man United, he occasionally shows glimpses that he can do things others cannot (very occasionally in Pogbas case) and we can see the talent is there but its demonstrated too fleetingly.  If he applied himself better he could easily be in the same bracket as Michael Murphy but until he does he will just be talked about on forums and on barstools of what he could have been imo.

Some of Laois best ever players were not necessarily the most skilful but the ones who applied themselves to being the best players they could be. Tom Kelly is a great example, he was not even the most skilful footballer in his own family and the year before Micko came along he was playing full back yet next year he wins an All star at centre back.

he also has an affect on the squad, everyone knows how talented he is but if he is not putting in the same shifts in training it can have a negative effect, something Sugrue seems to have tried to change.

Chrimtain

If Mark Timmons does go, who are his possible replacements?

High Fielder

Quote from: Chrimtain on October 31, 2019, 11:31:30 AM
[/quote

So far, nobody has stepped up to the mark. The same can be said of a number of positions on the field. People throw around names, mostly young lads, who have played in a position and did a good job on underage teams. But senior county football is worlds away from all that. Therefore, you either take the risk on the young lad you hope will develop, or, try and develop a player for a position like McNulty did with Meaney. Both options carry a fair amount of risk.

I have seen names being thrown around on here like they have already made it. Some are not doing enough for their club team to warrant the sort of praise being heaped on them. The exceptions tend to be instantly identifiable, but even O'Flynn had tough days with the Seniors last year. The potential was obvious though, and we haven't many like him.

The Boy Wonder

Re. views on Donie above - in my opinion his languid style can sometimes give the misleading impression that he's not going flat out.
Hopefully he will be available next year as his absence would be a massive loss.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Chrimtain on October 31, 2019, 11:31:30 AM
There's loads of potential lads that can be thrown in to replace Timmons . Sure we have well over a hundred lads taking part in the divisional matches. But how many are good enough to stand in with Number 3 on their back and hold their own at senior inter county division 2 standard ? I've seen no one anyway up to that mark . You might get away In division 4 and maybe 3 but all your weaknesses will be shown up against better teams and that's what potentially awaits us in division 2.

Jd

I think Young Nerney is a good chap who got thrown in at the deep end as a very young lad and struggled a bit but will develop as he gets older. Halloran from courtwood looked good during the championship this year and seems to be a big fit fella who might do a job too

Laoiseabu

Sean Byrne or Jason Moore might be worth a shot there if they were stuck for personnel.

High Fielder

Quote from: Jd on October 31, 2019, 08:59:51 PM
I think Young Nerney is a good chap who got thrown in at the deep end as a very young lad and struggled a bit but will develop as he gets older. Halloran from courtwood looked good during the championship this year and seems to be a big fit fella who might do a job too

Nerney is a good example of the mess created by Sugrue's departure. He looks like a half decent player, but he got destroyed in Croke Park against Louth, and I'm sure he was benefiting from being around the panel. We're back to square one now and who knows how the change will affect him.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: High Fielder on November 01, 2019, 10:27:28 AM
Quote from: Jd on October 31, 2019, 08:59:51 PM

Nerney is a good example of the mess created by Sugrue's departure. He looks like a half decent player, but he got destroyed in Croke Park against Louth, and I'm sure he was benefiting from being around the panel. We're back to square one now and who knows how the change will affect him.
Like I said before the cream should always rise to the top. If a player is good enough they should eventually come through ,if not well then tough luck. Sugrue going shouldn't have a huge effect on a young player . Players need to be able to take responsibility for their own lives and own dedication to football . You can't always be expecting a manager to spoon feed you.
Long story short , anyone that got a look in with Sugrue should be back again for another bite if they are interested enough and good enough . Just cause Sugrue goes dosent mean you should be at a disadvantage. It's just the start of a new chapter .

High Fielder

Bullshit. You can't just wash your hands of a very good man. New chapter me hole. This sort of talk is unrealistic and fanciful. We can't afford to sleepwalk out of a successful period, lose players and a good manager, and expect everything to go on as normal. I wouldn't want to be disrespectful to some players, but some of them are nowhere near good enough. It's hard to make that point without naming names, and I won't do that. But just because you're on a panel does not necessarily mean you can contribute to it.

Laoiseabu

All the guys that were tried under Sugrue but didn't nail down a place: Buggie , James Kelly, C Fennell, Crowley, Luttrell, Daly, Tyrell, S Byrne, Barry, D Whelan, Evan Lowry, Holland , C Finn, Aaron Dowling, Kinsella, M Keogh,A Farrell .That's only some of them. My point is Sugrue gave most of them their chance but were only on the fringes of the team . Sugrue going shouldnt mean they won't get another chance and there will be plenty of opportunities ahead for these lads . I don't agree Sugrues departure is a mess as regards younger players and any of these lads that are good enough will be back. It's up to themselves really to push on .