Prince Harry to Iraq????

Started by lurganblue, April 26, 2007, 01:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Saw this story and had some laugh at it. I mean in fairness, what's the point of a soldier who can in no circumstances can be put in harms way? Is that not the point of the job on some level? This would have to engender animosity in his fellow troops, they can be sent to Iraq to face possible death or maiming, but a guy getting paid to do the same job can't be? And if Iraq was completely pacified could he be sent? Unlikely, as he is still a kidnap target. In fact he isn't safe in any theatre of war, his regiment are in fact his bodyguards. He really has no place serving as a soldier in that case. But I guess we always knew it was really a sham anyway. Now doubt he'll be made an honoury general and commander of a regiment instead, promote him out of harms way. What a life.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

his holiness nb

If he went he would be protected round the clock and kept from harms way.
Then come back with tales and reports of heroism, then the British would have renewed pride in the Royal family.

Would be a masterstroke if they could pull it off.
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 26, 2007, 05:13:22 PM
If he went he would be protected round the clock and kept from harms way.
Then come back with tales and reports of heroism, then the British would have renewed pride in the Royal family.

Would be a masterstroke if they could pull it off.

I said "stroke" and "pull it off" in the one sentence about the Royal family.
Ironic eh  :o
Ask me holy bollix

thebandit

Prinnce Harry of Basra has a ring to it alright..

Fionntamhnach

Quote from: full back on April 26, 2007, 03:33:56 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 26, 2007, 03:31:46 PM
Could all the feckin Royals (no, not Meath folk) be sent out there.
Not all of them.
Is it Edward that is a good laugh & we would stick one into Zara 8)
Reminds me of an episode of Have I Got News For You a few years back during the odd one out round which featured a pic of the Nepalese prince that shot dead the King, Queen and seven others of his relatives  before turning the gun on himself - Paul Merton came out with the quip "does Prince Edward have a gun licence?"  ;D

Evil Genius

Quote from: Mentalman on April 26, 2007, 05:10:41 PM
But I guess we always knew it was really a sham anyway. Now doubt he'll be made an honoury general and commander of a regiment instead, promote him out of harms way. What a life.

I think you misunderstand. The problem is that Harry won't accept a desk job, or a posting to e.g. Cyprus, or even a stint in the safest bunker the army can find in Iraq.

Instead, he has insisted that if he can't go out there and serve like any other Officer in the Regiment, then he will leave the Army entirely.

The problem which the army faces is that whether the insurgents can get to him personally or not, they will at least know where his Regiment is based and throw everything they've got at them.

This is rather different from e.g. Prince Andrew when he served in the Falklands. All the Argentinians knew was that he was one of a number of helicopter pilots based on a number of ships anchored or manoeuvering off shore. Consequently, whilst he was at significant risk whilst actually flying on operations, this was no more than any other pilot i.e. they couldn't specifically target him or his unit. Plus, the Argies didn't deploy suicide bombers  :o

Whilst I have little time for many of the leeches who make up the Royal Family, I actually quite admire Harry for this. It's easy for the rest of us to make jokes or idly speculate about such matters, but if it were me, and I had any chance of avoiding being sent to that shithole, you wouldn't see my arse for smoke!
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

magickingdom

i'm just glad he got a job. wished the rest of them did the same....

Shamrock Shore

The thought alright of Harnan, Foley and Lyons in a front line in Eye-Rack would frecken a horrid lock of Fundementalists.

Shur freckened a horrid lot of Dubs  :D

Donagh

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 26, 2007, 07:42:21 PM
Instead, he has insisted that if he can't go out there and serve like any other Officer in the Regiment, then he will leave the Army entirely.

Balls

From the BBC

-------------------------------------------
Harry will not quit, say friends

Prince Harry
Prince Harry has long stated his desire to serve as an active officer

Harry training
Friends of Prince Harry have denied reports that he will quit the Army if he is not allowed to serve in Iraq.

But they admitted he would be "very disappointed" to miss out, the BBC's royal correspondent has been told.
---------------------------------------------

downredblack

It seems to be a case of "you can send your sons but I'm not sending mine " for queen and country me ballix . Pull them all out ffs , in the words of Billy Bragg

"You can fight for democracy at home but not in a foreign land "

magpie seanie

Pardon my ignorance Donagh but what does the white feather signify?

Mentalman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_feather

QuoteThe single White feather as a symbol of cowardice comes from cockfighting and the belief that a cockerel sporting a white feather in its tail is likely to be a poor fighter. Pure-breed gamecocks don't show white feathers, so its presence indicates that the cockerel is an inferior cross-breed.

The symbol is particularly recognised within the British army and in countries associated with the British Empire since the 18th century.

Looking at the where this phrase came from it's not one I'd use. Ideas of pure breeds etc. coming from so called aristocrats? If they mean inbreeding...

QuoteI think you misunderstand. The problem is that Harry won't accept a desk job, or a posting to e.g. Cyprus, or even a stint in the safest bunker the army can find in Iraq.

No I don't really EG, hence why I said what a life. Even if the guy genuinely wants to he can't go to Iraq, it simply wouldn't be tolerated that he be put in harms way, and in effect he actually would become a danger to his own men. Niether will it be tolerated that he resign his commission, for publicity reasons. So he will be convinvced to limp along for the period of his enlistment, and bow out gracefully I imagine? Later on he'll get the honoury generalship, like his old man and the rest of the clan.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Hardy

Passedit – that made me spit my coffee all over the screen. And Shamrock – you have a freckeningly accurate grasp of the Shakespearean English we speak by the Boyne.

Anyway, it seems to me the (cheap, English imitation version) Royals would be missing a chance to kill two birds with one suicide bomb here. If the wee fella is really the result of his ould wan's playing away, what better way to avoid the potential embarrassment (though it never bothered them before) of having a bastard on the throne than to make sure he gets in harm's way in Iraq? Hewitt problem solved and a real live (dead) royal hero to boot.