Laois Senior Football Championship 2023

Started by Spiritof86, March 02, 2023, 08:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The PRO

Think Stradbally might have enough to get by a very inconsistent Graiguecullen team. Emo should have too much for Clonaslee. Bally Abbey also should be a bit stronger than Courtwood.
Killeen v Portlaoise could be a lot closer than expected. Portlaoise aren't really hammering anyone but they still should win coming down the home stretch.

Robbo

Portlaoise will win easy enough. 8+
Ballyroan after a bit of a fight. 5 pts

I like emo and clonslee and this could be closer than people think. EMO should have too much firepower but I could see this coming down to the wire. Emo by 2

Strad and graigue could go either way and draw must be a good bet. Think strad have been better this year but graigue might have a big performnace in them. Graigue by 1.

Laois Rising

Fair play Robbo for sitting on the bench calling the Graigue Stradbally game. You have predicted a draw, Stradbally are the better team and Graigue by 1 point. Lot of bases covered there. In all seriousness Graigue have given two very contrasting performances so hard to call how they will perform. Last few years they have played well in the early rounds of championship and then crashed out with an unexpectedly poor performance. They will be hoping that they have already got that poor performance out of the way and can kick on for rest of championship. Emo should have players capable of keeping tabs on Corbett. If they negate his influence you would expect that Emo should win convincingly enough. 

Spiritof86

Fancy 4 close enough encounters this weekend.

Portlaoise will beat Killeen but don't think it will be that comfortable for them .
Fancy ballyroan and Courtwood to be closer than people think . Ballyroan to shade it .
Emo and St Mans another close one but think Emo will have too much .
Stradbally to beat Graigue. Fancy Stradbally to go far this year . Have built up a bit depth to the panel this year . Can't work Graigue out .

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Saturday's Results:

Emo 2-8
Clonaslee-St Manman's 1-4

Graiguecullen 1-10
Stradbally 0-5

A downpour during the first half of the Clonaslee-St. Manman's game ruined the game and it never really got going for Clonaslee after that. Emo adapted to the conditions better and went on to win easily enough.

In the second game Graiguecullen dominated possession for the first 15 mins but found it hard to get scores and wasted a lot of possession with the wind and only led by 3 points at half time. Stradbally improved in the second half but some great defending by Graiguecullen kept them from putting scores on the board.
Stradbally were rightly awarded a penalty midway through the half when they were just 2 points behind but a brilliant save by Danny Bolger kept them out and Graiguecullen went down and scored two points which was the turning point of the game as Stradbally didn't score again after that. Graiguecullen finished off the game as a contest with a fabulous goal from Lee Walker who was the best player on view throughout the game.
Graiguecullen have added great pace to their game and have learned to control the game more and with a bit more consistency they could get to another final.
Strange to see that whoever produces the program have the Graiguecullen goalkeeper named as Danny Maher for the past few games even though he was the county goalkeeper 2 years ago. Very shoddy journalism and shows how much the Co. Board know about the players. Even Laois Today don't know his name is actually Danny Bolger which surprised me to be honest as they are doing great work covering sport within the county.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Jd

I think to be fair with regard to players names they just copy the list sent in by club secretaries and the fact that both the Co Board and LT did it twice suggests that the problem is at the Graigues end. Probably a copy and paste job

Jd

And I must add that for a small club, Courtwood are getting some return from a very small squad. Sean O Flynn was immense today

The PRO

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on August 27, 2023, 11:55:40 AM
Strange to see that whoever produces the program have the Graiguecullen goalkeeper named as Danny Maher for the past few games even though he was the county goalkeeper 2 years ago. Very shoddy journalism and shows how much the Co. Board know about the players. Even Laois Today don't know his name is actually Danny Bolger which surprised me to be honest as they are doing great work covering sport within the county.
Is it possible that the lad changed his surname? I know Ryan Giggs used to be Ryan Wilson!

Faugheen

;)
Quote from: The PRO on August 27, 2023, 06:05:11 PM
Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on August 27, 2023, 11:55:40 AM
Is it possible that the lad changed his surname? I know Ryan Giggs used to be Ryan Wilson!
He changed his name to his mother's side..

SCFC

Round three was fairly underwhelming. Good win for Emo in dreadful conditions. Graigue surprised me. They were very good and have a great chance to get to the semi final now.
Portlaoise still look to have another gear to reach but didn't need to find it against Killeen. Ballyroan Abbey have only themselves to blame. Didn't score for the last 20 minutes and caught with a sucker punch.

Laoiseabu

Anyone know why Flanagan and Saunders weren't involved with Portlaoise today ? Both made appearances the last day against Rosenallis

From the Terrace

At the 2 games today. 1st game was brutal imo - I hope killeen go down after setting up the way did today. Portlaoise will do well to beat ods the next day missed an awful lot. 2nd game was a good bit better - best team won was impressed with Courtwood without hogan & donoher, they hung in the game when it looked away from them. Sean O'Flynn was immense. Can Doyle & byron also very good. I thought Ballyroan might get to semi this year - there forward play was poor.

Blow-in

Dis Ballyroan keep the receipt? What a waste of money. An extremely talented team playing that way. Wall and Garrigan should be ran.

SCFC

Quote from: Batman!!! on August 28, 2023, 12:11:06 AM
Dis Ballyroan keep the receipt? What a waste of money. An extremely talented team playing that way. Wall and Garrigan should be ran.
I'd have to agree with that. They seem to have a lot of good young players who are being constrained by a dreadful system of defensive football.

Spiritof86

Portlaoise and Killeen match was soul destroying. If it had been a stand alone match I would left before half time .
Ballyroan got what they deserved . Bewildering tactics considering the talent at their disposal . Delighted for Courtwood . Some pride and passion in the whole set up complimented by a player like Sean O'Flynn who was mighty .

Laois Shopping Centre Senior A Quarter Finals
O'Dempseys vs Portlaoise
Portarlington vs Courtwood
Killeshin vs Graiguecullen
St Joseph's vs Emo

Laois Shopping Centre Senior B Quarter Finals
Clonaslee vs The Heath
Arles Killeen vs Ballyfin
Stradbally vs Park Ratheniska
Ballyroan vs Rosenallis