The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

Yes, as Batman!!! says, 10 teams is a farce. Two groups of five, I assume? Are the leagues going to go back to 10 teams per division, as well? All these extra games, and seemingly we have no refs, either?

Zooming around

Have the management teams for the Laois minors and U21s for 2024 been sorted

SpeculativeEffort

I thought sense would prevail but no silly season is in full flow.

Clubs have decided to change the format at the top of the hurling tree before even considering how this will effect clubs lower down.

We now will be less competitive in Leinster and almost guarantees that no Laois team will gain experience at Leinster or All Ireland level at intermediate or junior level.

'Shur they don't matter'

We had a fair system. I shudder to think what patch up solution they will conjure up in January.

Clubs feathering their own nest.

Idiots.

Verbal

Poor poor decision.
We will look back on this with regret.

Downtheroad

The vote was tight but I take it some of the lower tier clubs must have voted for it. The likes of Colt/Shanahoe Rathdowney Errill and Borris/K all have 3 votes due to having nominal Gaelic football clubs which might be a factor. There is talk in Laois Today about cross over games to avoid byes. From watching the championship last summer we should have 6 rather than 10. Idiotic is the only word to describe the decision.     

Blow-in

Quote from: Laois man on November 29, 2023, 12:41:03 AMBut 16 football teams his OK?

No it's not okay but it seems that ship has sailed as clubs are afraid of the cut throat. Anyone who thinks the new SHC format is good needs to get themselves checked out quickly

georgedoylesrightleg

huge canvssing by some clubs in this,easy guesswho to. bad new for leix. very bad.

John1

Anybody know the proposed pro's in making people vote in a 10 team Championship at this Meeting or was it encouraged to be voted in.
As above stated more dead rubber games imaginable , games probably still played in O Moore Park with no atmosphere
& less competitiveness in Leinster at Lower tiers.
A Tweak to the 8 teams system could have worked perhaps as the standard is not there to make it 10,  & if not a success, 
then maybe look at it in 2 years with more creative ideas

The Boy Wonder

Interesting article in Leinster Express

" 'Proud' Laois can't compete in current hurling system" - Martin Fogarty's views on hurling in Laois and Offaly.

Zooming around

8 team championship with just one group.
7 League games.
Only the final in O'Moore Park.
Very few meaningless games as there is nearly always potential to get to the first two or be in the bottom two. Always something to aim for.
Some potentially cracking games at regional venues in the knockout stages.
One drawback is the calendar. Is there room for 10 weekends of senior hurling? (Maybe not)

Knockout
First and Second through to the semi final with home advantage in the semi final.

First Round Knockout
Third at home to Sixth
Fourth at home to Fifth

Relegation Playoff
Seventh v Eight at a neutral venue

Semi Final
First and Second in Pot 1 (Home venue guaranteed)
First Round Winners in Pot 2

Laois man

Any update on new managers with any of our club teams?

Spiritof1915

Mick mc evoy and willie Hyland taking over clough ballacolla I'm hearing.
Portlaoise the same
Harps the same
John Walsh leaving colt shanahoe to manage ballinakill apparently.

Quote from: Laois man on December 01, 2023, 06:43:43 PMAny update on new managers with any of our club teams?

Blow-in

John Walsh leaving colt shanahoe to manage ballinakill apparently. - I heard its Damien Walsh over Bkill with Sean Flynn as coach. He was an analyst with Tipperary. Don't know what his coaching experience is.

Camross on the hunt for a new manager. Richie Power was seemingly a done deal and pulled out.

Laois man

I don't think Richie Power was ever a done deal was contacted but wasn't interested.

Zooming around