Tyrone v Monaghan, Sun 20th May, Healy Park

Started by tyroneman, April 04, 2018, 06:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 10, 2018, 04:01:01 PM
Finished from what?
What have they achieved?

Yes they've improved under Malachy but they've yet to win a game in Croker I think in the last 8.
Getting to the Super 8s (same as last 8 in my eyes) will probably be their main aim and I think with their more attacking style they should achieve that but I dont think they have enough to trouble this Tyrone team who are striving to break into the top 3 themselves and showed last year they have put some distance between them and the chasing pack.

Whilst I somewhat agree with most of the above I am struggling with the statement highlighted in bold. Can you please define 'this Tyonre team', comparing and contrasting perhaps with the excellent team of the 00's (whom I followed throughout that period as most of my friends are hardcore Tyrone folk)?

Arrogance/cockiness etc. is being leveled at some Monaghan posters on here, for getting ahead of themselves and thinking that they're world beaters. The past is one thing and certainly counts for something, but as has been rightly said by a few Tyrone posters on here, there's not that much between the two teams, at this present time.

To be honest, and as a life long Monaghan supporter I find it quite flattering that folk are even talking about us, never mind accusing us of being arrogant. There were many years where we wouldn't have even got a mention. Now, as one of the smaller counties we have been consistently performing reasonably well... whilst unfortunately not breaking through the top 4 glass ceiling.

I have watched Monaghan throughout the league this year and the most encouraging aspects for me is their economy of effort and the depth in the squad. Any man coming off the bench is expected to contribute, and not just make up the numbers. I also know that they have done much less training this year than in previous years. As has been said, in previous years they would be in 'top gear' at this stage and then would go on to 'drop a valve' in the summer.. They are no doubt planning towards the Super-8s, and why wouldn't they..

Main Street

Only a week to go before we chase them crazy baldheads out of town.

BennyCake

Quote from: Main Street on May 13, 2018, 02:15:26 PM
Only a week to go before we chase them crazy baldheads out of town.

Is it time for the Hare Krishna convention already?

GrandMasterFlash

Let's hope it's a bit tighter than yesterdays training session in Ballybofey. Can't see it being as high-scoring anyhow..

RedHand88

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 14, 2018, 02:01:02 PM
Let's hope it's a bit tighter than yesterdays training session in Ballybofey. Can't see it being as high-scoring anyhow..

I disagree.

timmyot501

Any word on the Monaghan injuries for this game.  Should we have a full hand I would go with

R Beggan
C Walsh
C Boyle
R Wylie
F Kelly
D Wylie
K O'Connell
N Kierans
D Hughes
D Ward
K Hughes
R McAnsepie
C McCarthy
J McCarron
C McManus

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 14, 2018, 02:30:46 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 14, 2018, 02:01:02 PM

I disagree.

adda boy, yeeeeoooooooowwwwwww!

Fuzzman

can ye see it being more open that recent years?

skeog

The only open part will be the gates on Sunday.

Main Street

Quote from: timmyot501 on May 14, 2018, 04:09:15 PM
Any word on the Monaghan injuries for this game.  Should we have a full hand I would go with

R Beggan
C Walsh
C Boyle
R Wylie
F Kelly
D Wylie
K O'Connell
N Kierans
D Hughes
D Ward
K Hughes
R McAnsepie
C McCarthy
J McCarron
C McManus
That's as good a team as have ever represented Monaghan but is there no place in the starting line up for the invincible Vinny Corey?
Against the Tyrone horde, the artisan element would need to be beefed up a few notches.

However, I suppose it doesn't matters that much, as Tyrone are already destined to be doomed.

GrandMasterFlash

R Beggan

C Walsh
C Boyle
R Wylie

F Kelly
D Wylie
K O'Connell

N Kierans
D Hughes

D Ward
K Hughes
R McAnsepie

C McCarthy
J McCarron
C McManus

Perhaps Corey in for Boyle, if the rumors are right re his injury. I'm not sure if at FB though. Solid looking spine to the team and mobile looking. The forwards will no doubt struggle for space and will not be afforded the ball being played in in front of them, so they'll have to be extremely patient and work as a unit. Likewise, Kelly and O'Connell will need their defensive heads on to shore up the channels at the back that no doubt Harte/Donnelly/McCann will exploit.

A team on paper is one thing however, how they turn up mentally is all important..

Looking forward to it..

BennyHarp

Quote from: Main Street on May 15, 2018, 01:32:50 AM

R Beggan
C Walsh
C Boyle
R Wylie
F Kelly
D Wylie
K O'Connell
N Kierans
D Hughes
D Ward
K Hughes
R McAnsepie
C McCarthy
J McCarron
C McManus
That's as good a team as have ever represented Monaghan but is there no place in the starting line up for the invincible Vinny Corey?
Against the Tyrone horde, the artisan element would need to be beefed up a few notches.

However, I suppose it doesn't matters that much, as Tyrone are already destined to be doomed.

Tyrone very much up against it facing the golden generation of Monaghan footballers. The best ever Monaghan team v a Tyrone team trying to re-establish itself. It would be exceptionally embarrassing for Monaghan to lose this one. Huge pressure on them!!
That was never a square ball!!

Redhand Santa

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 15, 2018, 10:28:28 AM
Quote from: Main Street on May 15, 2018, 01:32:50 AM

R Beggan
C Walsh
C Boyle
R Wylie
F Kelly
D Wylie
K O'Connell
N Kierans
D Hughes
D Ward
K Hughes
R McAnsepie
C McCarthy
J McCarron
C McManus

Tyrone very much up against it facing the golden generation of Monaghan footballers. The best ever Monaghan team v a Tyrone team trying to re-establish itself. It would be exceptionally embarrassing for Monaghan to lose this one. Huge pressure on them!!

Best team ever and that's before the invincible Vinny Corey gets added in. Hard not to be a little concerned from a Tyrone point of view.

Schkite

R Beggan
C Walsh
C Boyle
R Wylie
F Kelly
D Wylie
K O'Connell
N Kierans
D Hughes
D Ward
K Hughes
R McAnsepie
C McCarthy
J McCarron
C McManus

I wouldn't be surprised if one of McCarron or McCarthy were held in reserve and someone like Malone started instead.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Schkite on May 15, 2018, 10:51:27 AM

R Beggan
C Walsh
C Boyle
R Wylie
F Kelly
D Wylie
K O'Connell
N Kierans
D Hughes
D Ward
K Hughes
R McAnsepie
C McCarthy
J McCarron
C McManus

I wouldn't be surprised if one of McCarron or McCarthy were held in reserve and someone like Malone started instead.

Good point, forgot about Malone.. he'd definitely be more suited to this kind of fare..

O Duffy an option at HF too but can't see him starting.
K Duffy could well be drafted into defense too..

Sure who knows a f*%K...