Row in Mayo LGFA

Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on September 18, 2018, 10:29:00 AM
The beauty of the 'mental health' angle in this instance is that it's entirely subjective.
You can't question the veracity of such a claim or you will be torn asunder in the court of public opinion.
I can see how this will develop from here.
The majority of people discussing sport online are men.
A lot of the discussion surrounding this will be along the lines of, 'Are they for real?'
'FEMINIST' (as opposed to feminist) types, who only take an interest in ladies gaelic football once a year to lament the fact that it's still called 'ladies' football, will accuse them of misogyny, bullying etc. and before long we have a perfect storm where actual facts simply will not matter.

It brings to mind a recent article by friend of the board Ewan Mackenna, regarding the Serena Williams affair.
His opinion was (correctly in my view) that it wasn't equal treatment Serena wanted, it was special treatment.
This feels the same to me, but no male journalist (other than Ewan probably) will want to touch this story with a barge-pole.
At least not in any serious way which challenges the reasons for leaving given in the players' statement.

This is a weirdly preemptively defensive post, Jinxy. Cora and company have not found much support in their own county or own panel, nevermind in the general population. This whole episode is now pretty much done unless the appeal to ban Carnacon is successful.

iorras

Quote from: pbat on September 18, 2018, 09:59:03 AM
Is Serena Williams managing the PR for the 12.
but the problem is, the likes of OTB (who I have now lost total respect for) will no more do proper research into this than jimmy sloyan does into his theories
The soundbites will win and matterafuck about doing some research.

ballinaman

The beauty of the 'mental health' angle in this instance is that it's entirely subjective.
You can't question the veracity of such a claim or you will be torn asunder in the court of public opinion.
A lot of the discussion surrounding this will be along the lines of, 'Are they for real?'
'FEMINIST' (as opposed to feminist) types, who only take an interest in ladies gaelic football once a year to lament the fact that it's still called 'ladies' football, will accuse them of misogyny, bullying etc. and before long we have a perfect storm where actual facts simply will not matter.

It brings to mind a recent article by friend of the board Ewan Mackenna, regarding the Serena Williams affair.
His opinion was (correctly in my view) that it wasn't equal treatment Serena wanted, it was special treatment.
This feels the same to me, but no male journalist (other than Ewan probably) will want to touch this story with a barge-pole.
At least not in any serious way which challenges the reasons for leaving given in the players' statement.
Jacqui Hurley and Sinead Kissane were the only two journalists at the press conference it seems ::)

Maroon Manc

Quote from: ballinaman on September 18, 2018, 10:48:25 AM

Jacqui Hurley and Sinead Kissane were the only two journalists at the press conference it seems ::)

Their some craic, likely the only two who even knew about it.

ballinaman

Quote from: iorras on September 18, 2018, 10:45:36 AM
Quote from: pbat on September 18, 2018, 09:59:03 AM
Is Serena Williams managing the PR for the 12.
but the problem is, the likes of OTB (who I have now lost total respect for) will no more do proper research into this than jimmy sloyan does into his theories
The soundbites will win and matterafuck about doing some research.
Stopped listening to OTB when they  started having a bookie from boylesports do segements. Get up the yard.

Jinxy

https://twitter.com/OfftheBenchOTB/status/1041971644984635392

'Awful to see players talk of toll this, and esp reaction to it , has taken on mental health. They're amateurs & play/not play is their decision. Shouldn't be judged for it & defo one club shouldn't be thrown out of local SFC for it. Carnacon appealing 4 reinstatement again 2nite'

Here's how I think this will go down.
The narrative will be 'the female players were being badly treated by a male management team, so opted to walk away. To punish them, their club was thrown out of the championship'.
The thing you're underestimating Syferus, is that this has been confined to the sports pages until now.
Now that the players have released a statement citing 'mental health' and 'intimidation', watch it grow legs.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

I would strongly advise the Mayo management team to let the Mayo players handle this altogether.
Very different optics in that case.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

The Mayo players released a statement at the time, Jinxy. This isn't a rock many will die on given the sentiment towards Carnacon in Mayo.

TomDoodle

Part of the problem is that the Carnacon gang are now conflating what has happened since they abandoned ship with their initial reasons for going. Any alleged abuse on social media for example is completely irrelevant because it happened after they acted and can not be cited as a reason for leaving. I don't doubt that it's tough on the players who walked but they have brought that on themselves and management can hardly be blamed. Did Sarah Tierney break down in tears because of what was happening at training? No, she broke down because of the pressure that has built up since they jumped and the terrible mess they are now in. But Joe Public only see the tears and reckon she must have been terribly hard done by.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 18, 2018, 10:50:40 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 18, 2018, 10:48:25 AM

Their some craic, likely the only two who even knew about it.
If that's the case and MWR and the Mayo papers were left out then that really is something.

Halfquarter

Quote from: Jinxy on September 18, 2018, 10:55:21 AM
I would strongly advise the Mayo management team to let the Mayo players handle this altogether.

According to RTE sports News at 11:00 this morning, Peter Leahy is going to make a statement later on this morning.
Looks like this issue is going to be battled out over the National airwaves, not the ideal way to go.

iorras

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2018, 10:43:38 AM

This is a weirdly preemptively defensive post, Jinxy. Cora and company have not found much support in their own county or own panel, nevermind in the general population. This whole episode is now pretty much done unless the appeal to ban Carnacon is successful.
I don't agree, if you listen to any of the casual commentary on it on the likes of OTB evening show (I don't listen to the morning one), as late as last week it was still very much along the lines of management should have handled this better, the poor players. The general population will just skim this, and will take the following from it: "young women walked away citing player welfare issues and an unsafe environment. Manager denied it. Group of high profile players came out and said aforementioned manager damaged their mental health." Who is the court of public appeal going to come out on the side of with when those are the soundbites they are focusing on? Its only about 10% of sports fans will really study this, and probably much less than that in the general population who will just get the main headlines that I've outlined above and look no further.
Put it this way, if nothing else happens from here on and your average punter meets Peter Leahy at some seminar or something what are the things they are going to associate him with?

Captain Scarlet

This is a joke now and are you telling me that this hasn't been anything other than calculated by the Carnacon women.
Use of the words unsafe and unhealthy. then they are talking about mental health, fully aware no-one can ever question that without being blacklisted.

Then the only two journos who go to the press conference are Kissane (who wrote a piece in their favour when it first broke) and Jacqui who can't exactly go all out when she has worked with Cora on RTE Radio all summer...

OTB are too afraid to be critical too in case they are called sexist. Ger is really choosing his words carefully in all this.

So what if a manager calls a player lazy?! Am I missing something here. Are you honestly telling me Mick Bohan hasn't had choice words for those Dub women in the last two years??
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

iorras

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 18, 2018, 11:08:13 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 18, 2018, 10:55:21 AM

According to RTE sports News at 11:00 this morning, Peter Leahy is going to make a statement later on this morning.
Looks like this issue is going to be battled out over the National airwaves, not the ideal way to go.
Hes going to go legal I bet ya. I'm no solicitor so I don't know the technicalities of it, but if I were he and its played out to date the way it seems to have then I'd certainly be taking advice in that area.

haranguerer

Peter Leahy should hold his counsel. The girls are f**king themselves up enough as it is without him needing to get dragged into a he said she said situation.