Started by Stan Laurel, June 18, 2018, 08:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Its a warm one lads. Barbecue weather.

armaghniac

The football is pretty tepid.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Captain Obvious

Sligo 1-13 Armagh 1-19. Sligo scored their goal in the 72nd minute. A comfortable win for Armagh as expected. Need to avoid Mayo and Tyrone on Mondays draw to have a decent chance of reaching round 4. Sligo so light on number that a player who played In Croke Park earlier for their hurlers was brought on 2nd half.

Aaron Boone

smelmoth

Comfortable win. Poor enough game but 1 team had no interest in playing football. We have to be honest - Sligo are shocking. Maybe we got dragged down to that level but we didn't really start to get away from then until the gift of the goal.

Grimley was superb when he came on and got confidence into the swing of that right boot. McShane as always gave 100% and there was plenty of product today. Actually thought Vernon had a poor game. I appreciate he is an outlet for the backward pass when we hit the massed defence but didn't see him do anything with it. He slows the game down and the driving runs are not breaking the tackle. Inevitably the run is sideways and the subsequent pass is backwards. He has the ability to dominate a team like Sligo. In general we beat what was in front of us, comfortably in the end but without looking close to the sort of performance that would trouble serious opposition. But we get another go at that. Onwards and upwards

magpie seanie

Quote from: smelmoth on June 23, 2018, 11:21:20 PM
Comfortable win. Poor enough game but 1 team had no interest in playing football. We have to be honest - Sligo are shocking. Maybe we got dragged down to that level but we didn't really start to get away from then until the gift of the goal.

Grimley was superb when he came on and got confidence into the swing of that right boot. McShane as always gave 100% and there was plenty of product today. Actually thought Vernon had a poor game. I appreciate he is an outlet for the backward pass when we hit the massed defence but didn't see him do anything with it. He slows the game down and the driving runs are not breaking the tackle. Inevitably the run is sideways and the subsequent pass is backwards. He has the ability to dominate a team like Sligo. In general we beat what was in front of us, comfortably in the end but without looking close to the sort of performance that would trouble serious opposition. But we get another go at that. Onwards and upwards

I'd disagree. I thought ye stopped the persistent fouling a few times and had some good moves. I wouldn't be that hard on yourselves.

smelmoth

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 24, 2018, 11:02:25 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 23, 2018, 11:21:20 PM

I'd disagree. I thought ye stopped the persistent fouling a few times and had some good moves. I wouldn't be that hard on yourselves.

One of the things that I thought we did improve on was our tackling. Admittedly we are starting from a low standard. So I can see how we might have differing views.

Sligo had the benefit of a wind blowing straight down the pitch in the first half. They hit a total of zero long kick outs in that period. That sounds crazy but you have to add the following factors into the mix. You had numerous turnovers and score concessions when sideways passing close to goal after short kick outs. You did quite well on our long kick outs in the first half so had the midfield to contest and our midfield were off the boil. You won 3 marks in the second half from accurate long kick outs so your keeper can hit them. And when he went short he got the shirt colours mixed up and gave us a goal.

There was an absolute determination to play short kick outs and sideways hand passing. Whatever that is it isn't football, it didn't work and ultimately was punished.

sligoman2

Good luck Armagh in the next round.

We are a young team that hopefully will come good in the next few years.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

illdecide

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 24, 2018, 11:58:47 PM
Good luck Armagh in the next round.

We are a young team that hopefully will come good in the next few years.

Good man... Cheers.
P. S. Hope you guys were happy with our good behaviour 😉
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch