Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

The Wire is some show, just seen the first two seasons so far. Barely even heard of it til the whole thing was finished in the US, very badly advertised on Irish and UK telly and on crappy channels too. Must try and catch the third season soon, though I've heard the second is the best, still that won't stop me!

Minder

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 24, 2009, 11:14:53 AM
The Wire started from scratch (series 1, episode 1) on FX last night, if that's any help.

Is it on weekly? I was gonna start buying the boxsets. Heard its the best TV ever made.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Billys Boots

Monday nights at 11 - it's the best tv I've ever seen, including the Sopranos.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Minder

I will maybe try and download last nights then get the rest on Sky + Series link.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Billys Boots

Fancy Dan

Have seen both Australia and Benji Button recently and wasnt overly impressed by either. Oz is very long, cliched and cheesy while Benji seems like an attempt at Forrest Gump in reverse but falls short comprehensively. Both are to be avoided IMO

pintsofguinness

Quote from: new devil on February 24, 2009, 05:19:03 AM
Quote from: new devil on February 21, 2009, 01:02:25 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 20, 2009, 09:33:27 PM
QuoteI downl Criminal Minds after Pints said he liked it.
It´s well done but they are dead keen to wrap up a crime of the century investigations in 20 or 30 minutes.
That's the way I like it, one of the criticisms I'd have of it though is they nearly always manage to get there in time to save another victim. 

It's a great show though.

I downloaded a couple of episodes of the wire last night so will try it over the weekend.

Watching Bones since I came home, have to say I'm loving it. 
Who knew they used flesh eating beetles to clean the bones of burn victims!!!  I didnt!

Newdevil - this is one I downloaded the wire from and it's playing fine
http://www.mininova.org/tor/622418

Cheers pints ive started to DL it....

Pints DL the wire but when i went to watch it,it says codec aquired...i typed codec into google and DL them but its still doing the same...its playing on windows media player ifs thats any help  :-[

You mustnt have the right codecs, mine is playing on media player classic, VLC, Windows media player no problems.
Try downloading that VLC player.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Bogball XV

Quote from: Minder on February 24, 2009, 01:29:12 PM
The Wire started from scratch (series 1, episode 1) on FX last night, if that's any help.

Is it on weekly? I was gonna start buying the boxsets. Heard its the best TV ever made.
It's good and I watch it, but I think a lot of the praise goes way over the top - why do people think it's so stunningly brilliant??

new devil

Yea VLC working great  :) thanks

AFS

Quote from: Bogball XV on February 24, 2009, 09:54:32 PM

It's good and I watch it, but I think a lot of the praise goes way over the top - why do people think it's so stunningly brilliant??

For me its because I've never seen anything made as well as it before.

There are so many brilliant characters. There's so much grey, you're not told these are the bad guys and these are the good guys like in so many TV dramas - you're allowed to make up your own mind. The storylines are great and move along at a perfect pace. Its doesn't wrap things up in lovely little packages for you like most shows, there are loose ends, which is more realistic. Scene setting is perfect too, you really feel like you know Baltimore after watching enough episodes.

I suppose, in short - its a TV show made for smart people that doesn't dumb things down to make sure everyone gets it. The more you get into it, the more you get out of it.

The Corporal

I thought this was a movie recommendation thread

nrico2006

Where is the Forrest Gump comparisons coming from regarding Benjamin Button - so in the future if a period drama is made and the lead character(s) has a southern (American) accent then it is an attempt to replicate Forrest Gump?  Would the same be said of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe if it had been made after Gump?

Gran Torino - was expecting it to be better than it was although Eastwood was brilliant (Clint, not his son).
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Go to your local Council library ......some classic oldies there on DVD .....can get 3 for a week for free. Watched The Maltese Falcon, Hight of the Hunter and The Battle of Algiers  (all taken out and enjoyed) last week. Hope to get 3 more tonight.
Beats imo the current crop of junk in Chartbusters.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 25, 2009, 09:39:33 AM
Where is the Forrest Gump comparisons coming from regarding Benjamin Button - so in the future if a period drama is made and the lead character(s) has a southern (American) accent then it is an attempt to replicate Forrest Gump?  Would the same be said of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe if it had been made after Gump?

Same as that Rico-could see no similarity to Forrest Gump at all.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AFS on February 25, 2009, 01:58:24 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on February 24, 2009, 09:54:32 PM

For me its because I've never seen anything made as well as it before.

There are so many brilliant characters. There's so much grey, you're not told these are the bad guys and these are the good guys like in so many TV dramas - you're allowed to make up your own mind. The storylines are great and move along at a perfect pace. Its doesn't wrap things up in lovely little packages for you like most shows, there are loose ends, which is more realistic. Scene setting is perfect too, you really feel like you know Baltimore after watching enough episodes.

I suppose, in short - its a TV show made for smart people that doesn't dumb things down to make sure everyone gets it. The more you get into it, the more you get out of it.

Yeah, I'd agree with AFS, it's not presented as good or bad, just what's there.  The cops and governors are not necessarily the ones serving the people, and the criminals are not necessarily doing their communities a wholly rotten disservice.  The characters are not wholly good or bad (on all sides), and it's often hard to predict what they'll do (though they rarely do things that are 'out of character', if you catch my drift).  It's believable, and both cynical and idealistic, and it presents situations that really make you think about life, the world and everything.