Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Revolutionary Road - of the recent films watched (Slumdog/Wrestler/7 pounds) it was head and shoulders for me. I can see why MS reckons it would work better on stage, but still a movie that keeps you glued for the 115 mins. Winslet is getting the rave reviews but Di Caprio did a fine job as well, convincing. It worked for him that his character was immature as his 'boyish looks' just don't work with the man-of-the-house' roles. I thought the 37 shock treatments man (!) was great viewing. I've read some critic lambasting the score but I enjoyed it as it added to the time in was set in. If you liked the Great Gatsby/Death of a Salesman type American-Dream troubled/angst theme or the serious issues involved in American Beauty, you'll enjoy this.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Can anyone find a good torrent for Role Models...not a screener?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

I  have only seen cams of Role Models,
at a push I'd watch a screener.

screenexile

Revolutionary Road... boring drivel.

Very much the same as American Beauty only the couple are having a mid life crisis at 30... I don't like my life I want to change it. Oh I can't? That sucks too oh well then. Fcuk me I've never been so bored iin my life with a film that rumbled on with nothing ever really happening and no storyline either. NOTHING OF NOTE HAPPENS.

Yes I can appreciate it's a couple going through a hard time with difficult issues but it's nothing you wouldn't see on a storyline in Eastenders (With much better acting I will give you that).

If you didn't like American Beauty you will not like this. Not my cup of tea at all.

Capt Pat

I got up and left seven pounds after about seven minutes, did I miss something? It had the worst possible start to a movie for me with mention of suicide and judgemntalism and an IRS agent playing God. I did not want to know any more about it.

stiffler

Watched Gran Torino tonight- didnt live up to expectation, i thought it was very predictable although Eastwood (yet again) delivers.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

leenie

has anyone seen the curious life of Benjamin button ... any good ?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

pintsofguinness

Quote from: leenie on January 22, 2009, 12:02:12 AM
has anyone seen the curious life of Benjamin button ... any good ?
boorrriinnngggg
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

pintsofguinness

I fast forwarded, it didnt.

I tried 7 pounds this evening for about the fifth time, give up after 40 minutes.  Put on Criminal minds.

longrunsthefox

Went to 7 pounds at the wekend... awful. A load of unconvincing sentimental slush. After a while was hoping Will Smith would get shot in a drive-by shooting. Had to stay to the end as the foxy lady was with me. In the words of the late great Eric Morcambe, 'Rubbish!'  :-\   

screenexile

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 22, 2009, 12:17:27 AM
Went to 7 pounds at the wekend... awful. A load of unconvincing sentimental slush. After a while was hoping Will Smith would get shot in a drive-by shooting. Had to stay to the end as the foxy lady was with me. In the words of the late great Eric Morcambe, 'Rubbish!'  :-\   

Saw it tonight. Couldn't agree more. Fell asleep halfway through for about 20 minutes and apparently missed absolutely nothing.

leenie

Man i was looking forward to that ... think i will give it a miss now
which of the films now would you say is a must see?

screenexile

I'd say Slumdog Millionaire, Role Models and Yes Man are the three best I've seen recently although there is a lot of opposition to Slumdog.

Also a lot on here are touting Revolutionary Road and the Wrestler but they weren't my cup of tea. I'd say if you didn't like American Beauty you wont much care for those 2.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: leenie on January 22, 2009, 12:36:06 AM
Man i was looking forward to that ... think i will give it a miss now
which of the films now would you say is a must see?
Frost Nixon
Gran Torino
Che
Definance

leenie

if yes man is anything like liar liar that no chance i'd watch that

deffo going to watch slumdog

but i love american beauty..... so think i will watch revolutionary rd!