Classic Irish advertisements

Started by armaghniac, July 19, 2017, 06:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Tony Baloney

None more Irish than the old ones with Joe Cooney dosing a calf.

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on July 20, 2017, 06:40:30 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 20, 2017, 11:54:01 AM
In the 1970s the Irish Army (the official one) had some corny ones which stood out. There was one for the "elite" rangers, where a fully uniformed troop were out running on a country track, singing a  call response, "we are rangers" "jolly jolly rangers"  :D

Here's one from the '70s for the regular troop.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=582_1498850405

It was corny, but it wasn't "jolly jolly rangers", it was "mighty mighty rangers".
Ok, I'll give you that one. Your memory is good.
Can you remember the name of the sportsperson, capped regularly at intl level, who led the troop?

Hardy

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on July 21, 2017, 09:36:59 PM
Didn't know that. Who?
I don't remember the name, he was a young sportsman and known to some extent, hardly would be a rugby player as any rugby toff would not be an army foot soldier, probably one of the top amateur boxers, a sport which had a popular profile then.

AZOffaly

It wasn't that lad Loftus was it ? I remember him as an Army man I think, and he had a high enough profile. Was on superstars etc.

stew

Guinness had some mighty ads back in the day, i am away to try and figure how to pidt them on here via youtube.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 23, 2017, 09:53:43 AM
It wasn't that lad Loftus was it ? I remember him as an Army man I think, and he had a high enough profile. Was on superstars etc.
He would have been too young at the time and not in the public eye. He was even an unknown (to most folk) when competing in the superstars in the early 1980s.

rosnarun

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Franko

Not strictly an advertisement, but this piece on RTE around the time of the 2013 hurling championship was top class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcGZ8_1ua0I