Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 23, 2017, 08:11:06 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on July 23, 2017, 03:55:34 PM
Exceptional show.  The simplicity of the stage set added to the experience.  Hoped they would throw in Out of Control for a Dublin audience but it wasn't to be.

Just for you OTB. Fcukin love that song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Ccp3xjc3Q
Brilliant.  One of my favs

magpie seanie

It was a sensational show. Absolutely loved every minute of it. Only picked up a ticket on Friday afternoon. Just tremendous stuff altogether. To hell with the begrudgers. Four lads from the northside form a band and look where we are 40 odd years later. An absolutely incredible story and body of work. The number of Americans in attendance was interesting but I suppose not surprising in the context of the album and it's continued relevance. Met a guy from Pittsburgh who also picked up tickets on Friday for himself and his wife and he booked a flight straight after that!

Leaving the ground was very slow.......why was it so different to leaving GAA matches? I've been to loads of AI Finals and it was never anything like as slow.

BennyCake

Who was Bonzo trying to save this time? Which politican did he "phone" halfway through?  ::)

straightred

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2017, 07:52:23 AM
It was a sensational show. Absolutely loved every minute of it. Only picked up a ticket on Friday afternoon. Just tremendous stuff altogether. To hell with the begrudgers. Four lads from the northside form a band and look where we are 40 odd years later. An absolutely incredible story and body of work. The number of Americans in attendance was interesting but I suppose not surprising in the context of the album and it's continued relevance. Met a guy from Pittsburgh who also picked up tickets on Friday for himself and his wife and he booked a flight straight after that!

Leaving the ground was very slow.......why was it so different to leaving GAA matches? I've been to loads of AI Finals and it was never anything like as slow.

I'll second this. The set, the performance, everything about it was top notch. I didn't think he had it in him any more but it was as good if not better as any of their previous gigs that i've seen. Hope they do it all again soon (and maybe frame it around Achtung Baby next time).

Didn't really notice that it was slow coming out to be honest. I met a few people and we stood around talking for maybe 20 mins so the crowd was probably gone by then. I did notice lots of people leaving early - I don't get that.

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on July 24, 2017, 10:06:24 AM
Who was Bonzo trying to save this time? Which politican did he "phone" halfway through?  ::)

He has done an awful lot more than most.

BennyCake

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2017, 02:17:02 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 24, 2017, 10:06:24 AM

He has done an awful lot more than most.

...for his ego.

Dougal Maguire

I understand there was a fly past of Air Corps jets with green, white and orange smoke trails. Did he signal to them to go their separate ways as he used to do in his 'tricolour ripping up' era?
Careful now

north_antrim_hound

Did he thank the Irish for looking after the English
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

BennyCake

I'd say 99% of people at U2 concerts would do anything Bonzo told them to. Holding up posters, or echoing his political crap. People cheering when he "phones" the president or criticising Sinn Fein/politicans.

In hiding

Quote from: BennyCake on July 24, 2017, 06:06:59 PM
I'd say 99% of people at U2 concerts would do anything Bonzo told them to. Holding up posters, or echoing his political crap. People cheering when he "phones" the president or criticising Sinn Fein/politicans.

Bono has his platform and loads of times does and says stuff which would annoy people if you took him serious. I don't really bother a huge pile about what he does outside of the music and truthfully I can say that I enjoyed the concert on saturday night more than any concert I was ever at. The first 15 mins was incredibly good. Bono has his faults but for a bunch of 50 somethings u2 are still some outfit

BennyCake

Quote from: In hiding on July 24, 2017, 08:49:15 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 24, 2017, 06:06:59 PM

Bono has his platform and loads of times does and says stuff which would annoy people if you took him serious. I don't really bother a huge pile about what he does outside of the music and truthfully I can say that I enjoyed the concert on saturday night more than any concert I was ever at. The first 15 mins was incredibly good. Bono has his faults but for a bunch of 50 somethings u2 are still some outfit

Outside of music, yes. You can ignore him when he's on the news or in the papers, but when you pay to see a gig, who wants to listen to Bonzo pontificate and rant about political issues? Just shut up and sing, ya dick!

magpie seanie

In the US people see a guy with a big car and a big house on a hill and they say - one day I'm going to get that. In Ireland when people see  a guy with a big car and a big house on a hill and they say - one day I'm going to get that bastard.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2017, 08:41:48 AM
In the US people see a guy with a big car and a big house on a hill and they say - one day I'm going to get that. In Ireland when people see  a guy with a big car and a big house on a hill and they say - one day I'm going to get that b**tard.
[/quote/]

Still a knob though.

Franko

In the US it's acceptable to dislike a person who is also from the US.  In Ireland it's OK to dislike a normal Irish person but if that person is exceptionally successful, it's automatically "begrudgery".   ::)

PS. He's a tit.

Seany

The show was just awesome. From the moment they walked onto the stage and sang those first five iconic songs with no lighting, or backdrop or gimmicks. Just four lads belting out incredible tunes. Then the Joshua Tree from start to finish. And despite the fact that they have changed some of the songs over the 30 years, they sang them as they were on the album. They put everything they had into that album and the tribute to women was very special also. The final song was from their new album. A lovely tune which demonstrates that they are not their own tribute band, but a working band with outstanding songs from every album. In fact, the fact that the best crowd response was for some of their later classics demonstrates that.