Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Tyrdub on July 10, 2017, 11:57:56 AM
can someone confirm or deny this for me please, and I hope its deny...
as an out and out U2 fan, complete nut, who was brought up in north Dublin city, lived beside friends who went to the same Mount Temple school that spawned U2, I was disturbed on hearing that Bono came out with a statement on stage in Twickenham thanking England for looking after the Irish.....first thing that popped into my head was the "no Irish or blacks" thing.
any truth he said this?

Jesus wept indeed.

No Bono fan but I spent a good portion of my college and working life in England. The English really looked after me too despite a few odd c***ts along the way. Get a grip and a bit of perspective would you.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2017, 02:42:44 PM
as an out and out U2 fan, complete nut, who was brought up in north Dublin city, lived beside friends who went to the same Mount Temple school that spawned U2, I was disturbed on hearing that Bono came out with a statement on stage in Twickenham thanking England for looking after the Irish.....first thing that popped into my head was the "no Irish or blacks" thing.
any truth he said this?

Jesus wept indeed.

No Bono fan but I spent a good portion of my college and working life in England. The English really looked after me too despite a few odd c***ts along the way. Get a grip and a bit of perspective would you.

Plenty of good English people no doubt
But considering the subject at hand and one of u2 most famous songs was
Sunday Bloody Sunday he must not be including the parachute regiment in his latest sentiment
I was all for the anti - war subject matter of u2 when I was younger and less cynical

But neutrality is easier when you where brought up on a nice peaceful Dublin suburb
Reality is the only show in town once the exuberant/optimistic haze clears and you realise Bono is just a rich twat in a bikers jacket and silly sunglasses selling escapism for couple of hours 
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Dougal Maguire

I'm not convinced my Da would share the Pint Sized little tosspot's views based on his experiences as a labourer working for Laing and Wimpy in the 1950s.
Careful now

punt kick

any truth he said this?

Jesus wept indeed.

When you say looked after you - did they bathe you, give you a few pounds to go out at the weekend, clean the snot from your nose - or did individuals in a town / city you resided in just treat you as a normal human being? More that one needs to catch a grip and get a bit of perspective!

BennyCake

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 10, 2017, 03:24:27 PM
any truth he said this?

Jesus wept indeed.

Plenty of good English people no doubt
But considering the subject at hand and one of u2 most famous songs was
Sunday Bloody Sunday he must not be including the parachute regiment in his latest sentiment
I was all for the anti - war subject matter of u2 when I was younger and less cynical

But neutrality is easier when you where brought up on a nice peaceful Dublin suburb
Reality is the only show in town once the exuberant/optimistic haze clears and you realise Bono is just a rich twat in a bikers jacket and silly sunglasses selling escapism for couple of hours

Not to me, he won't, the p***k.

thebigfella

Quote from: punt kick on July 10, 2017, 05:15:31 PM
any truth he said this?

Jesus wept indeed.

When you say looked after you - did they bathe you, give you a few pounds to go out at the weekend, clean the snot from your nose - or did individuals in a town / city you resided in just treat you as a normal human being? More that one needs to catch a grip and get a bit of perspective!

f**k up cold tea/no wides

red hander

As Mark E Smith famously said of Bongo.
"Bono? My window cleaner has got more to say than that cnut!"

punt kick

Quote from: punt kick on July 10, 2017, 05:15:31 PM
any truth he said this?

Jesus wept indeed.

So seriously how did they look after you, did they massage your ego, tell you you are better than the paddys that didn't receive an English education, tell you to return and look down your nose as the unworthy ones.  ::)

Eamonnca1

England has come a long way from "No blacks, no dogs, no Irish." I lived in Manchester for eight years and more often than not people reacted very positively to the sound of an Irish accent. Some complimented it, others were quick to claim Irish ancestry. Only on about three occasions did anyone have anything negative to say. Depending on where you are*, if you live in England these days it's cool to be Irish and you won't face the kind of discrimination that other groups face.

* I hear Aldershot's a bit different for obvious reasons, but in the North of England I found the people to be the salt of the Earth.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 12, 2017, 02:58:31 AM
England has come a long way from "No blacks, no dogs, no Irish." I lived in Manchester for eight years and more often than not people reacted very positively to the sound of an Irish accent. Some complimented it, others were quick to claim Irish ancestry. Only on about three occasions did anyone have anything negative to say. Depending on where you are*, if you live in England these days it's cool to be Irish and you won't face the kind of discrimination that other groups face.

* I hear Aldershot's a bit different for obvious reasons, but in the North of England I found the people to be the salt of the Earth.

As said before plenty of decent people in England
But the subject at hand isn't about them it's about Bonzo thanking the English for looking after the Irish which I find bemusing
I think the last English act I seen in Northen Ireland was Motörhead
Can't remember Lemy(rip) thanking all the good people of the north for looking after the English here
Then again Lemy was never full of it like that egotistical twat
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Over the Bar

Exceptional show.  The simplicity of the stage set added to the experience.  Hoped they would throw in Out of Control for a Dublin audience but it wasn't to be.

5 Sams

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 23, 2017, 03:55:34 PM
Exceptional show.  The simplicity of the stage set added to the experience.  Hoped they would throw in Out of Control for a Dublin audience but it wasn't to be.

Just for you OTB. Fcukin love that song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Ccp3xjc3Q
The Aristocrat Years