Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 10, 2014, 09:50:09 AM
Anyone know how to download it on the iPhone?
I can see it in itunes and play it but cant transfer it to my music on the phone

Don't bother it's terrible.

laoislad

I can see it in itunes and play it but cant transfer it to my music on the phone
Do you need to sync your phone with itunes maybe?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: thebigfella on September 10, 2014, 10:28:31 AM

Did you listen to it?

muppet

It is a pretty harmless and safe album.

U2 fans will like it.

But it doesn't try anything new or reinvent everything like some of their earlier stuff. So it won't generate any new followers imho.

But I quite like some of it.
MWWSI 2017

thebigfella

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 10, 2014, 02:10:51 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on September 10, 2014, 10:28:31 AM

Did you listen to it?

Yep, Dave Fanning was polluting the radio waves with it yesterday and listened to it this morning. Dare I say Coldplay's last album is better and that's saying something. Still better than Garth Brooks though  ;)

Muppet summed it up but I do think fans will be disappointed.

Mayo4Sam

It doesnt seem like theres any huge hit on it like beautiful day or that but a lot of songs are good/very good.
First listen and I like it

But then I am a U2 fan

Puckoon

First pass as a non U2 fan - album has some solid, if not groundbreaking tracks.

Shamrock Shore

Dave Fanning must have the sorest hands in Ireland with the constant pulling off of U2.

I will download and give it marks out of 10.
Word on the street is  that it's 'average'.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2014, 03:02:58 PM

U2 fans will like it.

But it doesn't try anything new or reinvent everything like some of their earlier stuff. So it won't generate any new followers imho.

So what you seem to be saying ,without turning yourself in 2 again, is that it is not bad.

I imagine that some day U2 will be as cool as the showbands. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on September 10, 2014, 06:12:04 PM

U2 fans will like it.

So what you seem to be saying ,without turning yourself in 2 again, is that it is not bad.

It seems to be influenced by the likes of Coldplay & Snow Patrol in that it is safe and slickly packaged modern crooning.

All nice and grand and yes it is not bad, in the same way Coldplay & Snow Patrol are not bad. But I preferred when U2 were influenced by anything that forced The Edge to be brave and Bono to sound like he was in pain. The world was a better place when Larry vetoed any release because it did (or didn't) sound like U2.

Sometimes I wish they would go on a Radiohead like tangent for half a decade to see what comes out, instead of showing Stadium Rock bands, REM, INXS, Manchester Scene, Brit Pop and now Coldplay that U2 can match them all.

6/10
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2014, 06:22:49 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 10, 2014, 06:12:04 PM

U2 fans will like it.

It seems to be influenced by the likes of Coldplay & Snow Patrol in that it is safe and slickly packaged modern crooning.

All nice and grand and yes it is not bad, in the same way Coldplay & Snow Patrol are not bad. But I preferred when U2 were influenced by anything that forced The Edge to be brave and Bono to sound like he was in pain. The world was a better place when Larry vetoed any release because it did (or didn't) sound like U2.

Sometimes I wish they would go on a Radiohead like tangent for half a decade to see what comes out, instead of showing Stadium Rock bands, REM, INXS, Manchester Scene, Brit Pop and now Coldplay that U2 can match them all.

6/10
It's hard to be creative continuously. PJ Harvey does it but not many others. And the middle of the road stuff will always sell .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

foxcommander

Sometimes I wish they would go on a Radiohead like tangent

Very few if any bands can do that. They are on a different level.
In Rainbows. What an album.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: foxcommander on September 10, 2014, 06:31:12 PM
Sometimes I wish they would go on a Radiohead like tangent

Very few if any bands can do that. They are on a different level.
In Rainbows. What an album.

And very few if any bands can serve up some of the dross that Radiohead produce and get away with it. The only concert I have ever left early - used to love them.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Nigel White

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 10, 2014, 05:51:58 PM
Dave Fanning must have the sorest hands in Ireland with the constant pulling off of U2.

I will download and give it marks out of 10.
Word on the street is  that it's 'average'.
Fanning s a complete tosser. The cnut must be the oldest DJ in the world.  His style is straight from the Smashey and Nicey manual