Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I was disappointed when Bono failed to make poverty history.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J OGorman

as a wise man once said...is it not better, when in a position to able to maybe help influence change for the better, is it not better to say something than say buck all?

Keyser soze

Quote from: ardal on March 11, 2014, 07:44:50 AM
I too liked U2 at an adolescent stage of my life but there is one thing that Paul Hewson said that still forces me to examine the physique of Irishness.

It goes a little like this:

"If an Irish person is driving through the country and sees a bit beautiful house, they think, fecking b**tard. let's destroy him."

But:

"If an American is doing the same thing, they think, I want that"

Dunno what having a beer belly has to do with coveting your neighbour's goods  tho!! ;D

seafoid

Quote from: J OGorman on March 11, 2014, 09:34:45 AM
as a wise man once said...is it not better, when in a position to able to maybe help influence change for the better, is it not better to say something than say buck all?
A lot of the problems Bono involves himself with are systematic and won't change even if people donate money. 
Aid is one. How effective is it ? Are there better ways of doing things ? Might have to hurt vested interests.
And he has been on the go a long time and he's not open about tax.

He really does remind me of the people Geldof moaned about in his first biography, his Dad's friends.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

I too liked U2 at an adolescent stage of my life but there is one thing that Paul Hewson said that still forces me to examine the physique of Irishness.

"If an Irish person is driving through the country and sees a bit beautiful house, they think, fecking b**tard. let's destroy him."

But:

That's horseshit. Let's destroy him. What hyperbole.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: dec on March 10, 2014, 04:27:16 PM
The Best of 1980–1990 is a fantastic collection of songs
The Best of 1990–2000 is a good collection of songs
The Best of 2000–2010 is unlikely to ever be released

Am I the only one who thinks they have some great songs since 2000

A best of would have:

Beautiful day
Stuck in a moment
Elevation
Peace on earth
Vertigo
City of blinding lights
Original of the species
No line on the horizon
Magnificent
Ordinary love

Not too bad, any other band would be happy to have that
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Bingo

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 11, 2014, 12:31:52 PM
Quote from: dec on March 10, 2014, 04:27:16 PM
The Best of 1980–1990 is a fantastic collection of songs
The Best of 1990–2000 is a good collection of songs
The Best of 2000–2010 is unlikely to ever be released

Am I the only one who thinks they have some great songs since 2000

A best of would have:

Beautiful day
Stuck in a moment
Elevation
Peace on earth
Vertigo
City of blinding lights
Original of the species
No line on the horizon
Magnificent
Ordinary love

Not too bad, any other band would be happy to have that

Moment of Surrender is a brillant song as well.

Eamonnca1

I'm not a fan of Garth Brooks. My solution? Don't listen to his music.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 11, 2014, 11:19:20 AM

But:

The version I heard was that someone sees a big house in America and says "I want to be that guy" - in Ireland they say "I want to get that guy". Same message I suppose.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

AZOffaly

Really. You think that when you drive by a nice house in Ireland, you say 'I want to get that guy'? Do you do that? I don't. What I normally say is 'Jaysus, thats a lovely house' and then forget about it. What you're talking about I think is the notion of Irish begrudgery. I think that's over played to be honest. I don't many people that genuinely resent others success. People do resent it when apparently successful people act in a superior way, but I don't know if that's begrudgery or healthy skepticism.

And in America, I think you'll find plenty of begrudgery. Listen to any sports talk show, and talk of what Athletes earn and all that sort of stuff.

I'm sure there's a grain of truth in what you say, but I don't like those sweeping generalisations.

NAG1

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 11, 2014, 10:55:38 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 11, 2014, 11:19:20 AM

But:

The version I heard was that someone sees a big house in America and says "I want to be that guy" - in Ireland they say "I want to get that guy". Same message I suppose.

I think this is a handy misconception, it seems to be a real notion lately of accusing ourselves of being begruders.

There is a difference from someone working hard and building themselves a nice house and paying for it, that to me gains respect from everyone regardless of what country you are in. Obviously there are those who have made their money in other ways illegally or through the misfortune of others which can attract this sort of attitude but this is not a uniquely Irish thing.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 12, 2014, 09:14:55 AM
Really. You think that when you drive by a nice house in Ireland, you say 'I want to get that guy'? Do you do that? I don't. What I normally say is 'Jaysus, thats a lovely house' and then forget about it. What you're talking about I think is the notion of Irish begrudgery. I think that's over played to be honest. I don't many people that genuinely resent others success. People do resent it when apparently successful people act in a superior way, but I don't know if that's begrudgery or healthy skepticism.

And in America, I think you'll find plenty of begrudgery. Listen to any sports talk show, and talk of what Athletes earn and all that sort of stuff.

I'm sure there's a grain of truth in what you say, but I don't like those sweeping generalisations.

What if it was a girl saying 'I want to get that guy'?
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Agent Orange

U2 have released their first album in five years as a free release on iTunes as Apple unveiled its latest smartphones.

At a launch event in California, U2 played a single from the new album, 'Songs of Innocence,' which Apple announced it had sent out for free to half a billion iTunes customers worldwide.

Frontman Bono described the album, the band's first since 'No Line on the Horizon' in 2009, as deeply personal and called the release "instant gratification."

"From the very beginning U2 have always wanted our music to reach as many people as possible, the clue is in our name I suppose - so today is kind of mind-blowing to us," Bono said.

"The most personal album we've written could be shared with half a billion people - by hitting send.

"If only songwriting was that easy."

Apple - which unveiled its first smartwatch as well as the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus - said that it would gift the album for free to customers who set up iTunes accounts in the next five weeks.

U2 - who released some of the most acclaimed albums in the 1980s including 'The Joshua Tree' and 'Rattle and Hum' - could have expected major sales for a new album.

While Apple did not disclose financial arrangements for the free release, U2 has collaborated for years on products with the iPod and iPhone company.

U2 is also hardly hurting for money, with Bono's net worth estimated at €465m.

Bono has long advocated for greater spending to help the world's poor, although the band has also come under criticism for moving part of its business from Ireland to the Netherlands, which has lower taxation.

In a world exclusive, Dave Fanning played the new album in full on RTÉ 2fm.

Dave Fanning always has the exclusive first radio play of new U2 albums.

iTunes experienced technical difficulties this evening due to the number of people attempting to download the album.

Mayo4Sam

Anyone know how to download it on the iPhone?
I can see it in itunes and play it but cant transfer it to my music on the phone
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me