Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

When I took music seriously in the 80s and 90s bands toured to promote album sales whereas now they produce albums to promote tours. 

thebigfella

Quote from: ashman on September 11, 2015, 01:42:27 AM
When I took music seriously in the 80s and 90s bands toured to promote album sales whereas now they produce albums to promote tours.

Your point being?

JoG2

Quote from: thebigfella on September 11, 2015, 10:47:12 AM

Your point being?

I think ashman unintentionally pointed out how the music business model has turned on its arse in the last 20 years, flipping how bands now make money to keep her lit

My question is, how seriously did he take music back in the day? We talking walking up to the till at Tower Records with Now That's What I call Music vol 3 with a scowl face on him?

BennyCake

Quote from: Gaffer on September 10, 2015, 11:33:19 PM
These boys haven't had a hit in years

Just touring the world singing the same old songs

I m staying at home!!!!

I'm with you, Gaffer.

I wouldn't watch them now if they were in the back garden. It's not just the music though. The main problem I have with them is Bono is an absolute tool.

thebigfella

Quote from: JoG2 on September 11, 2015, 10:58:00 AM

Your point being?

I think ashman unintentionally pointed out how the music business model has turned on its arse in the last 20 years, flipping how bands now make money to keep her lit

My question is, how seriously did he take music back in the day? We talking walking up to the till at Tower Records with Now That's What I call Music vol 3 with a scowl face on him?

Unintentionally pointed out the obvious or was there another point......

Franko

Quote from: thebigfella on September 11, 2015, 12:50:19 PM

Your point being?

Your point being...?

muppet

Quote from: Gaffer on September 10, 2015, 11:33:19 PM
These boys haven't had a hit in years

Just touring the world singing the same old songs

I m staying at home!!!!

I just checked the setlist for MSG. 7 of the 21 songs (excluding encore) were new.

MWWSI 2017

thebigfella

Quote from: Franko on September 11, 2015, 03:55:51 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on September 11, 2015, 12:50:19 PM

Your point being?

My point being

Your point being...?

That the obvious is being pointed out and you don't need to be serious about music to recognise how business model has changed. So is there another point?

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Franko

Just that you felt the need to point out the obvious by pointing out that he was pointing out the obvious... Seems a bit silly IMO... :-X

charlieTully

Tony Baloney

Quote from: charlieTully on September 11, 2015, 11:25:21 PM
will this be a sell out in Belfast?
Easily. Odyssey is tiny compared to their usual stadium tours.

Eamonnca1

Other than the fact that he's successful (and we all know the Irish attitude to one of their own who succeeded at anything) what exactly have people got against Bono? It's not like his tax arrangements have any direct effect on your day-to-day lives.

Maguire01

Quote from: charlieTully on September 11, 2015, 11:25:21 PM
will this be a sell out in Belfast?
In less that 5 minutes. I'd expect more dates to be added for both cities, but they'll all disappear very soon too. We'll be at the mercy of the ticketmaster system.

Only positive thing is they've really clamped down on potential for touts, so don't be buying tickets thinking you can sell them on.

•    Fans buying floor sections will not receive a physical ticket. Think of the card used to make the purchase as your ticket. When you arrive at the venue, the venue staff will swipe your card at the doors and admit you to the standing section.
•    Students must also present their student ID for each ticket purchased.
•    Regular ticket holders must also present a valid govt issued photo ID for the purchaser only.
•    Paperless tickets are not transferrable. You cannot buy a Paperless ticket as a gift for someone else. You can only buy a paperless ticket if you (the card holder) will be attending the event in person. If you buy 2 paperless tickets, your companion must enter at the same time as you.
•    There are NO EXCEPTIONS to these rules.