The Double

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 05, 2018, 03:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

Has there many examples of teams winning an all Ireland football and hurling in the same year? Or even being in both finals, and how longs it been?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

mrdeeds

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2018, 03:45:50 PM
Has there many examples of teams winning an all Ireland football and hurling in the same year? Or even being in both finals, and how longs it been?

Cork were in both finals in 1999. Won hurling. Also done double in 1990.

GalwayBayBoy

Cork did the double in 1990. Galway were in both finals in 2001. Won football. Narrowly lost hurling final to Tipp. Alan Kerins was on both panels.

Maiden1

Cork 1890,1990
Tipperary 1895, 1900
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Wildweasel74

Hurlers look good for it; footballers not so much!

LooseCannon

Offaly won the All-Ireland Hurling and NFL Division 1 in 1998.

didlyi

They will win neither

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: didlyi on August 05, 2018, 10:46:41 PM
They will win neither

Sure it's great to reach so many finals in both codes at all grades anyway. Think Sunday week will be my 12th senior All-Ireland to attend supporting the county (and I wasn't at any during the 80's). Can't buy the memories both good and bad.

thejuice

Galway are in a good spot to do the double at Minor level in both codes too though id say they're not favorite in football but at that level form isn't as consistent so it's very possible.

That said on form I expect Meath to beat them next weekend
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

An Watcher

Showing my age but there was a fella who played for the footballers and hurlers in 1990.  It's one of the other these days

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: An Watcher on August 06, 2018, 07:20:21 AM
Showing my age but there was a fella who played for the footballers and hurlers in 1990.  It's one of the other these days

The great Teddy Mc!

'Teddy McCarthy to Mick McCarthy, no relation, Mick McCarthy back to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation.'

Over the Bar

Roscommon win the AI gurning and AI whinging titles in the same year, every year.

Mayo4Sam14

If the Dublin hurlers get their act together it could happen
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Plain of the Herbs

Offaly reached both Senior All-Irelands in 1981.  Won the hurling, beating Galway, lost the football to Kerry's 4 in a row team.  Liam Currams played in both, at the time the first man to do so since a Goulding chap from Cork in 1956.

pbat

Would there be any of the Galway hurling team make the football team if the committed to it instead?