China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I think testing has become more aggressive yeah.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2020, 04:11:31 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 30, 2020, 04:05:48 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 30, 2020, 01:50:48 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 30, 2020, 01:48:07 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 30, 2020, 01:33:47 PM
why are the Brits saying its 6 months, prince Charles had it went into isolation 7 days and now hes out its a miracle
If everyone caught it today it would be all over in 2 weeks! The bodies would be piled up but the survivors would be immune to this particular strain.

If transmission is limited (flatten the curve) to a level that is manageable it might take a bit longer.

Where is your evidence for what is in bold? I have not read of any research that can claim that and its a pretty dangerous assumption to make.

Typically, once you develop the antibodies to any particular instance of a virus, your immune system holds that template and can recreate it quicker when you need - at least for several years. Example being the MMR vaccines.

Of course, the coronavirus we have today may mutate, so in 12 months time its an open question whether those antibodies are of any use as it could be essentially a new virus.

Does the flu mutate? And when people get the flu jab is it generally a different type to the year previous?

I know this isn't the flu!  I thinking then that when it comes, if it ever does, can they get a vaccine that can be readily adopted for the new mutation, if in fact it actually mutates in the first place?

I think the Flu jab can be differ each year as they try and predict which strain will be most prevalent.

johnnycool

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 30, 2020, 04:38:31 PM
why are the Brits saying its 6 months, prince Charles had it went into isolation 7 days and now hes out its a miracle
If everyone caught it today it would be all over in 2 weeks! The bodies would be piled up but the survivors would be immune to this particular strain.

If transmission is limited (flatten the curve) to a level that is manageable it might take a bit longer.

Where is your evidence for what is in bold? I have not read of any research that can claim that and its a pretty dangerous assumption to make.

Typically, once you develop the antibodies to any particular instance of a virus, your immune system holds that template and can recreate it quicker when you need - at least for several years. Example being the MMR vaccines.

Of course, the coronavirus we have today may mutate, so in 12 months time its an open question whether those antibodies are of any use as it could be essentially a new virus.

Does the flu mutate? And when people get the flu jab is it generally a different type to the year previous?

I know this isn't the flu!  I thinking then that when it comes, if it ever does, can they get a vaccine that can be readily adopted for the new mutation, if in fact it actually mutates in the first place?

I think the Flu jab can be differ each year as they try and predict which strain will be most prevalent.
Yip,
    my Dad got his annual flu jab in November but ended up in hospital with Flu in January as that flu strain wasn't covered in the flu jabs given

bannside

I have a business contact in the UK who has just purchased 250,000 test kits for self diagnosis. Pin p***k results in ten minutes. Sent me all the info as hes putting it out through his direct sale team. All properly certified by most stringent European standards.

Hes a businessman who isn't making money by his core business but has stepped in to assist supply chain (because he can) and make a small ( not extortionate by any means) that will help sustain his business in the short term.

Not sure whether or not to get involved in this because there are a few people profiteering...albeit not massively....but then again so the question is....is there any harm in it?

Just using here as a testing board for opinions on this thing. As caprice guide....I can buy these kits around £12 and have been advised to RRP at circa £15.

Should I get involved, ethically is it ok to make a few pounds by doing this? At the minute I'm seeing two sides of a same coin?

gallsman

Ethically, is it ok to profit from a pandemic? As a new business? Are you for real?

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: johnnycool on March 30, 2020, 04:43:08 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 30, 2020, 04:38:31 PM

Yip,
    my Dad got his annual flu jab in November but ended up in hospital with Flu in January as that flu strain wasn't covered in the flu jabs given

My other half got the flu this year (about 3-4 weeks ago) for the first time in years although always get the jab (I know its not a gaurantee).
So it will be interesting to see when these anti-body kits come up for public sale, whether or not this has been lurking behind the scenes for longer then they think.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: gallsman on March 30, 2020, 04:50:34 PM
Ethically, is it ok to profit from a pandemic? As a new business? Are you for real?

Whichever company comes up with the vaccination for this and someone will, they aren't going to give it to the world for free you can be sure. They'll be heralded as genius whilst they milk a Government, whom in turn will make us pay for it via taxation.

They reckon CureVac might not be too far away shortly, that's the fella everyone hates in German Football for reasons which I'm not entirely sure why.

On another note I am relatively optimistic they'll get the vaccination sorted, the whole of the worlds genius is now on it - the human body has proven it has the ability to beat the riddle. Now for the human mind to figure out. I think human testing has already started in Europe.

screenexile

Do you understand the concept of the pharmaceutical business??!!

If there's no profit in it why would anybody do it? They shouldn't be ripping people off of course but they need to make money as well!!

Armamike

Anyone on here with symptoms yet?
That's just, like your opinion man.

RedHand88

Is it reasonable for an employer to expect someone to go into a house where there was a coronavirus death in the last week, and another person showing symptoms? Without saying much, part of their job involves going from house to house and being in contact with the people inside. No proper ppe has been offered. On top of this, the employee is agency staff so won't get paid if they have to take a week off due to self isolation. Anyone know about the legality of this sort of stuff?

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on March 30, 2020, 05:08:04 PM

Do you understand the concept of the pharmaceutical business??!!

If there's no profit in it why would anybody do it? They shouldn't be ripping people off of course but they need to make money as well!!

Find the quote from me where I stated that pharmaceutical companies are renowned for their ethics. Clown.

I find it hilarious that bannside is complaining out of one side of his mouth about accusations being laid against a local company for their conduct through all of this while the other side is salivating over the prospect of a quick buck.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 30, 2020, 05:23:23 PM
Is it reasonable for an employer to expect someone to go into a house where there was a coronavirus death in the last week, and another person showing symptoms? Without saying much, part of their job involves going from house to house and being in contact with the people inside. No proper ppe has been offered. On top of this, the employee is agency staff so won't get paid if they have to take a week off due to self isolation. Anyone know about the legality of this sort of stuff?

If it doesn't sound legal, it rarely is.

It's completely unreasonable, for a multitude of reasons.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Armamike on March 30, 2020, 05:22:38 PM
Anyone on here with symptoms yet?

I have been diagnosed with this
`` uxoricide `` brought on by lock-down apparently.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

bannside

Ok Gallsman hardly salivating in fact I could give this a miss quite easily.... but I think the jury is out......a couple of people have PM'd me already to say they would take a dozen, one wants eight, just for either family members or staff for peace of mind. If I can help offer them that, should I not do this.

I'm a bit out of my depth here, good chance I'll not get involved.

J70

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 30, 2020, 05:23:23 PM

Er.. no!