New McDonald's burger "partitionist"

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, September 04, 2015, 01:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Probably could also go in the "what the f**k" thread

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/mcdonalds-launches-irish-mcmr-burger-and-sinn-fein-mla-brands-it-partitionist-31499646.html

QuoteA disgruntled Sinn Fein MLA has branded McDonald's "partitionist" for launching a limited edition "Irish" burger in the Republic that won't be available in Northern Ireland.

The fast food chain is promoting the McMór (which its marketing as Gaelic for Big Mac) as a "tribute to the best produce and the finest flavours from across Ireland".

The beef is 100% Irish, the bun is "potato-flaked", and it comes topped with bacon, shredded cabbage, kale, Ballymaloe Relish and Charleville Cheddar.

But West Tyrone MLA Barry McElduff told the Irish News: "It is not 'mór go leor' (big enough) because it does not incorporate the six counties. If it's available in Letterkenny then it should be available in Omagh," he said.

"There is a popular McDonald's in Omagh and I know the patrons in the county of Tyrone would fully expect to have the choice of a McMór.

"McDonald's is a global firm and some people have concerns about its ethics, but we can now add the sin of partitionism to the list."

The McMór was created by the McDonald's Ireland Chefs Council, which held its first meeting last year aiming to create a burger with real Irish flavours.

A McDonald's spokesman responded to Mr McElduff's complaint: "The McMór was developed by the McDonald's business in the Republic of Ireland for customers in this market specifically.

"McDonald's Northern Ireland is part of the McDonald's UK business."

gallsman

You read about a lot of really pathetic things on this board. This is right up there.

general_lee

I just find it odd a global heavyweight like McDonald's would run two separate operations in Ireland.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: general_lee on September 04, 2015, 01:47:48 PM
I just find it odd a global heavyweight like McDonald's would run two separate operations in Ireland.
Really?! I'm sure most companies do the same because like it or not they have separate tax rates etc.

McElduff is a donkey.

general_lee

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 04, 2015, 01:50:02 PM
Really?! I'm sure most companies do the same because like it or not they have separate tax rates etc.

McElduff is a donkey.
I mean in terms of suppliers, marketing etc surely would make more sense? Yes obviously two different economies but that can be cirucmvented easily enough I would have thought. 

The burger sounds rotten anyway.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: general_lee on September 04, 2015, 01:53:40 PM

McElduff is a donkey.
I mean in terms of suppliers, marketing etc surely would make more sense? Yes obviously two different economies but that can be cirucmvented easily enough I would have thought. 

Aye a bacon and cabbage burger is like something you'd see on those "Oirish" episodes of the Simpsons.

Pub Bore

Quote from: general_lee on September 04, 2015, 01:53:40 PM

McElduff is a donkey.

Well it is made by McDonald's. 

Should it not be MacMor anyway??

AZOffaly

deiseach

You should be apologising - for trying to rhyme blaa with lá.

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on September 04, 2015, 02:35:52 PM
You should be apologising - for trying to rhyme blaa with lá.

Béal na blaa?
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

omaghjoe

A microcosm of the wider campaign attempting to stamp out the Irish language in the 6 counties.

Further evidence of the incessant discrimination that the Nationalist community faces in the North by grinding away their culture and identity.

Minder

When I saw the headline I knew it would be McElduff, an absolute halfwit.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.