Falls from Grace

Started by general_lee, September 18, 2023, 03:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleater

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 19, 2023, 08:39:31 AMCastleblayney Faughs,  record Monaghan title holders, had the highest number of county titles in the country till we surpassed them, haven't won a senior in 20 years and relegated to Intermediate last year for first time in their history.

Blayney were in the brink of relegation for about 4/5 years before last years relegation. They were the beneficiaries  of a fortuitous fixture list a couple of times in avoiding relegation e.g. meeting championship winners Clontibret a week after Clontibret had won the championship and they fielded a B team and getting the points from some walk overs too. Blayney really ought to have been relegated a few years ago but were very, very lucky to beat the drop.

Blayney have won a couple of D1 county minor titles (including this years) so talent is coming through for them but that will take a few years to make an impact at adult level. They'll be intermediate for a few years more I'd say. It was bad news for them that Truagh got relegated from Senior this year.

Armagh18

Quote from: Feckitt on October 24, 2023, 01:30:12 PMCompare Newry to Lurgan. Similar size towns about 25 miles apart. Newry would be a bit bigger with an almost entirely nationalist population,  whereas Lurgan is famously split and would historically have more social problems. Newry is surrounded by GAA heartland where Lurgan is surrounded by very mixed countryside.
This year playing for Armagh in the Championship were Lurgan men Conor Turbitt, Tiernan Kelly & Barry McCambridge from Clann Eireann, Soupy Campbell & Shane McPartland from Clan na Gael and Andrew Murnin from St Pauls.
Down have no Newry men, and haven't had for years!!
Armagh clubs similar, Harps and Ogs haven't provided much to the county for a while for the size/tradition in both clubs. McElroy from Harps is the only one at the minute I can think of and he's only back.

seafoid

Quote from: Feckitt on October 24, 2023, 01:30:12 PMCompare Newry to Lurgan. Similar size towns about 25 miles apart. Newry would be a bit bigger with an almost entirely nationalist population,  whereas Lurgan is famously split and would historically have more social problems. Newry is surrounded by GAA heartland where Lurgan is surrounded by very mixed countryside.
This year playing for Armagh in the Championship were Lurgan men Conor Turbitt, Tiernan Kelly & Barry McCambridge from Clann Eireann, Soupy Campbell & Shane McPartland from Clan na Gael and Andrew Murnin from St Pauls.
Ballinasloe in Galway would be similar to Newry. Hasn't been on the GAA radar for a few decades even though in the roll of honour of county titles it is 3rd. last title 1980

Tuam Stars 1st on the list but also down on their luck. Last title 1994.

Both teams always had players on the big county teams.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galway_Senior_Football_Championship

statto

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 24, 2023, 02:29:56 PM
Armagh clubs similar, Harps and Ogs haven't provided much to the county for a while for the size/tradition in both clubs. McElroy from Harps is the only one at the minute I can think of and he's only back.
And gone for this year I am told along with Vinny Brady which means zero players from Armagh City currently on panel. 

marty34

That's a good comparsion.

Newry seems a bit like Derry City.  Big potential and population etc. but needs investment.

I think there's an Armagh club in outskirts of Newry?

Somebody told me that the two schools in Newry, Colman's and Abbey now haven't got as many of the south Armagh boys as they all head to the big school St. Paul's in Bressbrook. To the detriment of school's football in Newry. 

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on October 24, 2023, 06:03:12 PM

Newry seems a bit like Derry City.  Big potential and population etc. but needs investment.

Somebody told me that the two schools in Newry, Colman's and Abbey now haven't got as many of the south Armagh boys as they all head to the big school St. Paul's in Bressbrook. To the detriment of school's football in Newry. 
You've Thomas Davis Corrinshego just off the motorway there with a brand new club house and pitch but they haven't really got the players to match the facilities yet.

Yeah St Pauls would probably pick up a fair few that might have went to Newry in days gone by.

clonian

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 25, 2023, 07:35:44 AM
Quote from: marty34 on October 24, 2023, 06:03:12 PM

You've Thomas Davis Corrinshego just off the motorway there with a brand new club house and pitch but they haven't really got the players to match the facilities yet.

Yeah St Pauls would probably pick up a fair few that might have went to Newry in days gone by.

And St Ronan's - there always was a few Lurgan lads on those McCrory winning teams.

ONeill

Has to be The Windmill. Once the scourge of the elite in Tyrone football. Now playing friendlies against Carnan Accordion Band.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

marty34

Quote from: statto on October 24, 2023, 04:25:58 PM
And gone for this year I am told along with Vinny Brady which means zero players from Armagh City currently on panel. 

Lurgan would be stronger than Armagh for GAA?

You'd think Armagh City would be a lot stronger.

general_lee

Quote from: marty34 on October 27, 2023, 11:33:02 PM

Not really. Lurgan has near twice the population of Armagh city (31k and 16k).
Armagh is approx 67% fenian, Lurgan around 62%...

Armagh18

Quote from: general_lee on October 28, 2023, 12:19:54 AM
Quote from: marty34 on October 27, 2023, 11:33:02 PM

Not really. Lurgan has near twice the population of Armagh city (31k and 16k).

Wouldn't have thought it be as high tbh.

armaghniac

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 28, 2023, 07:11:15 AM
Quote from: general_lee on October 28, 2023, 12:19:54 AMNot really. Lurgan has near twice the population of Armagh city (31k and 16k).

Wouldn't have thought it be as high tbh.

On Census day (21 March 2021) there were 16,310 people living in Armagh.[5] Of these: 67.3% (10,977) belong to or were brought up in the Catholic Christian faith and 23.76% (3,875) belong to or were brought up in a 'Protestant and Other Christian (including Christian related)' religion. 1.35% belong to other religions and 7.59% have no religious background.

The two Armagh city clubs have twice the pick of Armagh clubs generally.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

befair

Quote from: DownFanatic on October 24, 2023, 10:04:25 AMNewry Mitchels, winners of four Down SFC titles in the 60's and the home club of the great Sean O'Neill are now defunct and out of being. Similarly, Ballykinlar, a team who reached Down SFC finals in the 60's and won a few JFC titles in the 90's are now folded too. Again, the club of Paddy 'Mo' Doherty as well.
One of my earliest memories is being at the Down championship final between Newry Mitchels and Ballykinlar in 1963 (I think). Mitchels won 4-2 to 1-10. I met Paddy Doherty after the game and he was such a legend it was like meeting Santa Claus.
The decline of both clubs since then has been very sad to watch

Rossfan

Kerins ORahillys from Tralee relegated to Intermediate in Kerry last night.
Senior since 1927.
The 3 Tralee Clubs all Inter now!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: Rossfan on October 29, 2023, 08:46:10 AMKerins ORahillys from Tralee relegated to Intermediate in Kerry last night.
Senior since 1927.
The 3 Tralee Clubs all Inter now!!

That's deadly.