Ryle Nugent leaves RTE

Started by AZOffaly, February 26, 2018, 01:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I've always had an irrational dislike of Ryle Nugent, probably unfairly so. He's leaving his post as head of RTE Sport. RTE Sport has seen a fairly dramatic change in recent years losing a lot of the Rugby that Nugent obviously loves. TV3 doing the 6 nations must melt his head. I hope the next guy/girl in is  bit of an innovator.

Easytiger, are you applying ? :)

Ryle Nugent announces departure from RTÉ

RTÉ Group Head of Sport, Ryle Nugent, today announced that he is to leave RTÉ on 1st June after 24 years with the broadcaster.

Ryle Nugent said, "After eight years as Group Head of RTÉ Sport, I've decided that it's time for me to move on to take up new challenges. The last eight years as Group Head have been a genuine privilege and the most rewarding of my career, but as we head into what would be my ninth season at the helm, ninth GAA Championships and third World Cup, I feel its time to hand the baton on".

Jim Jennings, Director of Content said, "Ryle has made an enormous contribution to RTÉ both in front of and behind the scenes, particularly in the last eight years as Group Head of RTÉ Sport. The fact that RTÉ has maintained such a significant portfolio of sports rights is a tribute to Ryle and all of the team in RTÉ Sport who are dedicated to bringing our national teams and national games to Irish audiences. We will continue on that mission, but today is about marking Ryle's contribution. I wish Ryle the very best in all that does and thank him for his commitment and the significant contribution he has made".

The RTÉ Group Head of Sport position will be advertised within RTÉ in the coming days.

laoislad

He should have been fired the minute he decided to put women's rugby on TV.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on February 26, 2018, 01:54:57 PM

To be fair, it's probably all he could afford. What's wrong with it though? Sure camogie and ladies football are shown a bit.

seafoid

It's a tough job given the budget constraints.  And viewers who think everything should be available. And no hurling on before the division 3 matches with full analysis.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

easytiger95

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2018, 01:00:02 PM
I've always had an irrational dislike of Ryle Nugent, probably unfairly so. He's leaving his post as head of RTE Sport. RTE Sport has seen a fairly dramatic change in recent years losing a lot of the Rugby that Nugent obviously loves. TV3 doing the 6 nations must melt his head. I hope the next guy/girl in is  bit of an innovator.

Easytiger, are you applying ? :)

Ryle Nugent announces departure from RTÉ

RTÉ Group Head of Sport, Ryle Nugent, today announced that he is to leave RTÉ on 1st June after 24 years with the broadcaster.

Ryle Nugent said, "After eight years as Group Head of RTÉ Sport, I've decided that it's time for me to move on to take up new challenges. The last eight years as Group Head have been a genuine privilege and the most rewarding of my career, but as we head into what would be my ninth season at the helm, ninth GAA Championships and third World Cup, I feel its time to hand the baton on".

Jim Jennings, Director of Content said, "Ryle has made an enormous contribution to RTÉ both in front of and behind the scenes, particularly in the last eight years as Group Head of RTÉ Sport. The fact that RTÉ has maintained such a significant portfolio of sports rights is a tribute to Ryle and all of the team in RTÉ Sport who are dedicated to bringing our national teams and national games to Irish audiences. We will continue on that mission, but today is about marking Ryle's contribution. I wish Ryle the very best in all that does and thank him for his commitment and the significant contribution he has made".

The RTÉ Group Head of Sport position will be advertised within RTÉ in the coming days.

Jaysis, stop AZ!! My current position is as good as I've ever had, so no, I think I'll keep the CV in the top drawer on this one.

But it is a sad reflection on where RTE is at that this is not the plum job it once was. I can only see hardship in it for the next occupant - a long, managed decline.

Bord na Mona man

Ryle Nugent and Jamie Heaslip on the one day!
Three days of mourning announced for the Southside.

Hardy

These things happen in threes. Suggestions please for the next D4 icon to topple today.

Dinny Breen

Pair of blow-ins though. Ryle is from Ballyfermot and Jamie is from K4.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on February 26, 2018, 02:26:04 PM
These things happen in threes. Suggestions please for the next D4 icon to topple today.

Maybe all of D4 given the weather forecast!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 26, 2018, 02:27:09 PM

Ryle went to school in Blackrock though didn't he?

Dinny Breen

He did but he didn't play sport in school and I vaguely remember him presenting the grip or some sort of show for young adults where he hadn't a clue about sport in general. Was a strange choice for head of sport I thought. He did play the gender card very well though and had no problems promoting women's sport and women presenters.
#newbridgeornowhere

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2018, 02:28:08 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 26, 2018, 02:27:09 PM

Ryle went to school in Blackrock though didn't he?

Dunno but he certainly lives around Blackrock somewhere. I doubt if he's originally from Ballyer

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2018, 01:56:43 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 26, 2018, 01:54:57 PM

To be fair, it's probably all he could afford. What's wrong with it though? Sure camogie and ladies football are shown a bit.

Promoting womens' sport in this day and age should be a requirement for a public broadcaster. Such a shortsighted thing to say.

Nugent did nothing to improve GAA coverage so I'm glad to see the back of him.

Rossfan

I'd imagine Nugent would have got rid of "Gah" altogether if he'd had his way.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

I hope the new head of RTE Sport brings in proper analysis for their live sports and less of the gimmicks such as the likes of Dunphy,Brolly and Hook. Better commentators than Ger Canning around surely? no more Tommy Carr or very much so Martin Carney would also improve the GAA RTE coverage.