I think the game is dying in front of us - Manus Boyle

Started by sligoman2, October 19, 2017, 01:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=277137

Very interesting and depressing Article by Manus Boyle.  2 points scored in the second half of last weeks Donegal SFC Final.  Happening all over the country.

I hope the game evolves to eliminate the effectiveness of the blanket, if it doesn't people will stop going to games or some rule changes will be required.

I know this area has been covered before, but Manus is bang on I'm my opinion except I don't think he could play as well as he thinks he could.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Tubberman

Quote from: sligoman2 on October 19, 2017, 01:08:20 PM
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=277137

Very interesting and depressing Article by Manus Boyle.  2 points scored in the second half of last weeks Donegal SFC Final.  Happening all over the country Ulster.

I hope the game evolves to eliminate the effectiveness of the blanket, if it doesn't people will stop going to games or some rule changes will be required.

I know this area has been covered before, but Manus is bang on I'm my opinion except I don't think he could play as well as he thinks he could.

Fixed that for you  :P
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mouview

Couldn't we just send a Terminator back in time to take out Jim McGuinness?

bennydorano

Manus night think he is talking about football in general but he's really talking about the shite he has to endure in Donegal club & to a lesser extent county football.

Armagh club football is quite open and entertaining, our County team has abanded the ultra defensive football. Even for some of the unwatchable County football that Tyrone can produce, their club scene is not similarly afflicted.

sligoman2

It happened in my own club 2 weeks ago in a drawn game v Tubbercurry.  Thankfully we decided that the best form of defense is attack for the replay and won handily..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

magpie seanie

It wasn't a one off. the 0-10 to 0-2 game against Coolaney/Mullinabreena too. Preparing for the Mayo champions I understand.

BennyCake

Take 4 players off each team. 11 a side. You'll see a totally different game (and no, I don't mean soccer!)

It's the obvious answer.

The Hill is Blue

I think Manus is too focused on the game in Donegal. In the two Dublin semi-finals last weekend there was a total of eight goals and fifty two points scored. Also the blanket defence was well and truly found out in the hammering of Tyrone in the AI semi-final this year.

The abomination that was Donegal football is on it's last legs.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

lenny

Quote from: mouview on October 19, 2017, 01:15:47 PM
Couldn't we just send a Terminator back in time to take out Jim McGuinness?

Mcguinness only slightly refined what harte had brought in with 13 or 14 players back in defence. I blame harte 100% for the rotten and unwatchable football that is played nowadays.

stew

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on October 19, 2017, 02:06:53 PM
I think Manus is too focused on the game in Donegal. In the two Dublin semi-finals last weekend there was a total of eight goals and fifty two points scored. Also the blanket defence was well and truly found out in the hammering of Tyrone in the AI semi-final this year.

Great post but Tyrone must bear some of the blame for the dirge spewed forth by both teams and others.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Shamrock Shore

I do think that if there was a Nuremberg type-trial on the Modern Ills of Gaelic Football then in the dock would certainly be Mickey Harte and Jim McGuinness.

However, before we hang and draw them, may I remind ye some of the football played in the 70s and 80s from my memory was God awful.

Catch, fumble, pick off the ground, root it as far as you can, hit your opponent a belt.....

Syferus

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 19, 2017, 02:27:42 PM
I do think that if there was a Nuremberg type-trial on the Modern Ills of Gaelic Football then in the dock would certainly be Mickey Harte and Jim McGuinness.

However, before we hang and draw them, may I remind ye some of the football played in the 70s and 80s from my memory was God awful.

Catch, fumble, pick off the ground, root it as far as you can, hit your opponent a belt.....

The difference is fitness and perepation is on an entirely different level at IC now. If these teams wanted to play football it would be far better as a spectacle than the 70s.

ck

Quote from: stew on October 19, 2017, 02:15:03 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on October 19, 2017, 02:06:53 PM

Great post but Tyrone must bear some of the blame for the dirge spewed forth by both teams and others.

"Slightly refined"? Are you serious?? McGuinness brought it to the extreme. Every man back, camped inside 45m line. Tyrone never did that in fairness. McGuinness did it, and the reason he walked after 3 years is because he had no other ideas apart from the extreme form of the blanket. His own county now are bottom of the pile as a result.