The "PC Brigade" brigade

Started by Eamonnca1, August 15, 2017, 01:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: Main Street on August 15, 2017, 03:59:14 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on August 15, 2017, 03:55:37 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2017, 03:47:25 PM
Are you pulling the piss? A spring sphere hunt?
Nope - fact. Up in Seattle area. Apparently they were renamed back in 2011 in the school district. Seattle and San Fran are the most progressive thinkers in America. The rest of us are backward if we don't agree with all of their musings...
Fox News angst.
The world is going to pot because of welfare fraud, food stampsimmigrants, mexicans, muslims, the evil "pc brigade" are taking easter away from "us".
The PC brigade are out to get you, according to Fox news.
Deflecting Asal Mor.
I'm giving real examples.
Join the conversation instead of stirring the pot
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Eggs aren't even spherical!

Why not just call them "spring eggs"?  :P

But yes, some take things too far, as with anything.

Doesn't mean that we should go back to the days of calling black people "boy" or the n-word or it being acceptable to slap your young secretary on the ass.

The "spring sphere" crowd are idiots. So are the people who get their knickers in a twist over "happy holidays".

The Iceman

Quote from: J70 on August 15, 2017, 04:08:51 PM

Doesn't mean that we should go back to the days of calling black people "boy" or the n-word or it being acceptable to slap your young secretary on the ass.

The "spring sphere" crowd are idiots. So are the people who get their knickers in a twist over "happy holidays".
But J70 why does it mean going back to those days? Why can't we just go back to yesterday where it was ok to have an Easter Egg and a Christmas Tree? Why does going back to then have to be extrapolated out to racism and sexual abuse of women? Why are they even linked?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Main Street

Quote from: The Iceman on August 15, 2017, 04:02:38 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 15, 2017, 03:59:14 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on August 15, 2017, 03:55:37 PM
Nope - fact. Up in Seattle area. Apparently they were renamed back in 2011 in the school district. Seattle and San Fran are the most progressive thinkers in America. The rest of us are backward if we don't agree with all of their musings...
Fox News angst.
The world is going to pot because of welfare fraud, food stampsimmigrants, mexicans, muslims, the evil "pc brigade" are taking easter away from "us".
The PC brigade are out to get you, according to Fox news.
Deflecting Asal Mor.
I'm giving real examples.
Join the conversation instead of stirring the pot
Real example me hole, you have a reality bypass.
One example from an age ago and you're off on a pc brigade rant versus "us".

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on August 15, 2017, 04:18:26 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 15, 2017, 04:08:51 PM

But J70 why does it mean going back to those days? Why can't we just go back to yesterday where it was ok to have an Easter Egg and a Christmas Tree? Why does going back to then have to be extrapolated out to racism and sexual abuse of women? Why are they even linked?

Who says it's not ok to have an xmas tree or Easter eggs? No one is stopping you. Nor is anyone stopping you saying Merry Christmas.

My point was that a lot of this so-called PC stuff is valid e.g. the declining acceptability of racial epithets or sexual harassment. You can't seriously claim that the whining about political correctness doesn't include whining about the upright to use certain terms (we've had it on this board). Some pc stuff goes too far, almost into parody, for sure. School boards may verge into ridiculousness in trying to be inclusive, but ultimately, is that really that big a deal? Cultural diversity and public inclusiveness are not mutually exclusive.

The Iceman

Nobody is stopping us down in Florida no. But in Seattle honestly the kids were told it wasn't an easter egg hunt it was a spring sphere hunt.
PC stuff does go too far. I don't think its wrong or unacceptable of me to be upset about it. Especially when it infringes on my beliefs and way of life.
I agree that a lot of the PC stuff is valid and also that a lot of it is becoming a parody of itself.

Main street not sure where your aggression is coming from

gallsman

"Infringes on my beliefs and way of life"

f**k off. It doesn't infringe on anything. I suggest you look up the meaning of the word.

Is it ok to call someone (presumably you mean a somewhat random female, not your wife or daughter) "love" or "sweetheart"? No it clearly f**king isn't.

Are you backward if you use "he" or "she"? No. Tell me about the overwhelmingly large PC Brigade crusade to limit your ability to do so.

Is renaming it a spring sphere hunt completely over the top, daft nonsense? Yes. Are you backward that you get "upset" about this? Absolutely.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: gallsman on August 15, 2017, 06:51:04 PM
Is it ok to call someone (presumably you mean a somewhat random female, not your wife or daughter) "love" or "sweetheart"? No it clearly f**king isn't.

It's okay in the north of England.

Eamonnca1

It's like the "War on Christmas."  Right wingers have been scaremongering about this sort of thing for years. They find some obscure corner of the country where one person said something overly sensitive and they blow that up to make it sound like it's part of a massive nationwide campaign to ban Easter/Christmas/any other popular holiday.

Orior

The rebel flag at the hurling semi appears to have upset some idiots. I am sure they will be calling for the Druids Glen to be renamed too.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 15, 2017, 06:58:03 PM

It's like the "War on Christmas."  Right wingers have been scaremongering about this sort of thing for years. They find some obscure corner of the country where one person said something overly sensitive and they blow that up to make it sound like it's part of a massive nationwide campaign to ban Easter/Christmas/any other popular holiday.

Don't forget the PTA in suburban Boston who cancelled the annual kids trip to the Nutcracker in case someone got triggered by seeing a Christmas Tree/Holiday Tree

The Iceman

f**k off. It doesn't infringe on anything. I suggest you look up the meaning of the word.
Infringe - definition - to encroach on, to limit...
not sure why you think it's a wrong use of the word. We celebrate Easter in my house, we celebrate Christmas in my house. When we lived in Seattle the kids couldn't talk about it. They were told it wasn't for school. School had spring spheres and winter celebrations. Being told differently had an impact on my family. I'm not sure why you are so upset?

Why is it not ok to use terms of endearment to refer to someone? I use them all the time? Are you an Antrim man? you've never called anyone mate or mucker? Love? I struggle to believe your stance on this one is genuine and thought out...

Are you backward if you use "he" or "she"? No. Tell me about the overwhelmingly large PC Brigade crusade to limit your ability to do so.
Why are you not backward if you use he or she but backward if you use love or sweetheart? I never mentioned an overwhelmingly large PC brigade crusade - I just pointed out examples

Is renaming it a spring sphere hunt completely over the top, daft nonsense? Yes. Are you backward that you get "upset" about this? Absolutely.
Why am I backward because I am upset?
Are you backward because you are upset at me and cursing me out?...

Lar Naparka

Quote from: J70 on August 15, 2017, 04:02:05 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 15, 2017, 03:32:21 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 15, 2017, 02:42:45 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 15, 2017, 01:52:32 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2017, 11:56:52 AM
I was having an argument with someone about this at the weekend.

1 - Is forcing people to say 'Happy Holidays' rather than 'Happy Christmas' PC gone mad, or is it correct?
2 - Does that actually happen?

Someone was going on about this PC gone mad stuff, and he used this as a reference. I know some American's do that, but to be honest I think that's to reflect the Jewish Hannukah rather than anything else, and I don't think they are 'forced' to do it. In Ireland, I have never noticed anyone saying, or proposing we say, 'Happy Holidays'.

IS this PC gone mad, or  is it paranoia?
Well, it's both since basically they are the same. There are those who feel upset if anyone criticises the Traveller community in any way.

Some years ago a Fine Gael senator, Anne Devlin, produced a report that was highly critical of certain aspects of Traveller culture. That was 10+ years ago and I can't recall the reason for her conducting this report and I was waiting for the politically correct mouth pieces to have a field day.
Instead, it was comical to see the likes of Kevin Myers and other self-important journalists and their fellow travellers making tits of themselves as they were caught like a dog with one pee and two lamposts.

Y' see, Anne stated in unequivocal terms that women in Traveller circles are treated as second class by the males. No parity of esteem there. So the PC brigade were in a fix. There were two proverbial sacred cows there and both couldn't be milked at the same time.
Last year there was outrage for the PC faction when the French government banned the wearing of burkhas on public beaches. (I think I got that right.)Few if any of the loolas realised that the wearing of burkhas and veils and that sort of craic was because the women in question were regarded as sex chattels and nothing more. They were and are treated in much the same way as the Traveller women mentioned by Anne Devlin.
"Happy Holidays" gives me a pain in the butt. From what my lawyer nephew tells me its used because its not connected in any way to the religious beliefs of any sept or church.
It's quite safe to say that the langers and their Confederate regalia know about as much about Robert E. Lee as they do about Henry VIII; Beauregard Nelson or Horatio Nelson. "Who gives a phuck, boy?" is the most likely answer to any query on the subject from any Leesider..

Just using the latter to highlight a point: If the people of Cork felt sympathy for the white supremacists in Virginia or flew their Stars and Bars as an act of solidarity for the KKK's cause, it would be a different matter entirely.
I tend not to go around rising rows that I have no hope of winning.

I'd take issue with your points above. Firstly, ignorance is no defence. Some symbols cannot be separated from their meaning - for instance, there is red and white in the Nazi swastika - but none of them are used on GAA terraces. So, whilst we can ignorantly look at confederate flags and wax nostalgic about watching "the Dukes of Hazzard", it doesn't change the fact that they represent a huge and potent evil - slavery.

Secondly, even if we were to accept ignorance as an excuse back in the day, it is inconceivable now for anyone attempting to fly that flag in this country without being aware of the overtones, whether they agree that it represents it or not. And if they had any empathy they wouldn't fly it because of the distress or discomfort it could cause to people of colour, whether American, African or from other backgrounds.

That's just manners, which is all PC is - manners and concern for other people.
The salient point I was trying to make is in my last sentence ie "I tend not to go around rising rows that I have no hope of winning." I don't support the white supremacists in any way but am I entitled to force someone else to do as say as I do?
Okay, ignorance is no defence all right but defence of what?
Your definition of what's indefensible may not tally with that of someone else who looks at things from a different perspective.
I sincerely wish the Corkonians would put their confederate flags and general regalia away and find another way of expressing their feelings but I certainly can't or wouldn't insist that I am right and they are wrong so they should do as I say. Political correctness taken too excess is a form of intolerance and illiberalism that in its own way is just as insidioius as the antics of the white is right brigade in Charlottesville.

How can it be PC-excess to point out to Cork people that the flag they are using is a symbol of racism and slavery? That's a simple fact. If they have an argument defending its use, I'd love to hear it and how they rationalize its use. Not everything in life is defensible. I can't imagine their "argument" having much validity.
On a personal note I disagree with the display of Confederate flags and banners at Cork matches. I'd be happy to point this out to any langer I speak to, if and when the topic arose. However, telling anyone to stop doing something because I say so could provoke a backlash.
Like your good self, I personally don't think any such action is morally defensible but the decision is not mine to make.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

The Iceman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 15, 2017, 06:58:03 PM

I would hardly call Seattle an obscure corner of the country. It's hardly obscure and it's 3 hours from the coast... ;)
But you can't have it both ways Eamonn - either it's progressive or its not? and for the record I am not a rightwinger - I don't align with either party or side. It doesn't define my life. You've spent too much time in SFO lad (is it still ok to call people "lad" Gallsman?) oops...

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on August 15, 2017, 07:18:23 PM

Infringe - definition - to encroach on, to limit...
not sure why you think it's a wrong use of the word. We celebrate Easter in my house, we celebrate Christmas in my house. When we lived in Seattle the kids couldn't talk about it. They were told it wasn't for school. School had spring spheres and winter celebrations. Being told differently had an impact on my family. I'm not sure why you are so upset?

You celebrate Easter and Christmas in your house? Well done. Did anyone forcibly enter your home and demand you refer to a holiday tree or a spring sphere hunt at home? I know America is fucked but I highly doubt it. How did the school policy affect your family life? If your kids are unable to use the words "Christmas" or "Easter" within the confines of the family, I suggest you look closer to home for the blame.