List your top 15 from 2001-17 -Survey closes on 28th April 2017

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 23, 2017, 04:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 27, 2017, 03:24:29 PM
Was it just because he was from the Moy and went to school in Armagh, a bit like why the Derry wans aren't too fond out Dooher.

No.

The Stallion

Probably more to do with the fact he was a serial cheat who came across as too cowardly to compete honestly with more talented opponents to be honest.

The Stallion

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 27, 2017, 03:24:29 PM
Was it just because he was from the Moy and went to school in Armagh, a bit like why the Derry wans aren't too fond out Dooher.

I wonder if the Armagh and Derry ones were to give us a top 5 of all time hated Tyrone players who would be in it.
Would PTG be No 1 though Mugsy must be well up there too.

Jordan certainly was Mr Consistency for a long time and he nearly always seem to get up for a point or two.

I didn't particularly like some of Dooher's cynical fouling, it was nothing to do with where he's from.

And I don't hate any Tyrone players. There's a difference between thinking a player is a pathetic cheat and hating them. 

Walter Cronc

Hate is a strong word. Can we say disliked Tyrone players??

Probably only Sean Cavanagh comes into that bracket. Maybe Davey Harte. Smug

I respected Canavan, Dooher, McGuigan, O'Neill, Gormley, Cavlan even Ricey. Great players.

You couldn't hate Mugsy either. Sure he's half Maghera himself!

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 27, 2017, 02:10:59 PM
Interesting how many people choose Jordan before Conor Gormley. Is it for his attacking skills as I think most Tyrone fans would say block was one of our best ever defenders.

I laughed at Champion The Wonder Horse's post as I totally agree Canavan was still a great player from 2001-2005 despite his injuries. He made his debut for the seniors in the league in 1989 and championship the following year but had to wait 5 years for his first win in Ulster.

Good to see none of your Derry bias though influenced you over players like S.Cavanagh, Stevie O'Neill and Peter.

I'd have Gormley every day of the week over Jordan. In fact I have to say, for me Gormley is the best defender in the past 20 odd year, he could do it all, played right across the back line wherever he was needed and was Harte's go to man for the big job that had to be done in our defence. Think his best position was definitely at 6.

I say this without bias but I'm shocked that he has only made a few teams in this , he must be the most underrated player of his generation, conversely I'm also shocked to see Marc O'Se in so many teams. If ever there was a case of a guy dining out on his family name then it's Marc O'Se, he was a decent player but no way was he a top 5 corner back of his generation. His two brothers were absolute class but Marc was a steady, reasonably dependable player but it was telling that most Kerry managers asked Tom O'Sullivan to do the big jobs for them.

Walter Cronc

Catch yourself on Bomber!!! Marc O'Se was a class act. Held that Kerry FB line together for years after Moynihan etc retired!

Throw ball

Armagh

Cluxton
Mark O'Shea
K Fitzgerald
Gormley
T  O'Shea
Canty
McCaffery
Cavanagh
D O'Shea
Connelly
Joyce
Ryan McHugh
Canavan
Donaghy
Cooper

GaillimhIarthair

I'm really surprised how little Brian McGuigan is featuring - I thought he was a top class play maker in that Tyrone half forward line when they were at their peak in the 00's

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 27, 2017, 05:36:50 PM
Catch yourself on Bomber!!! Marc O'Se was a class act. Held that Kerry FB line together for years after Moynihan etc retired!

He was in his f**k, anytime there was a big job to be done it was thrust on to Tom O'Sullivan.

Marc O'Se was a decent corner back but there's been far, far better in his own generation. If he had been Marc O'Leary he would be relatively unheralded.

randomusername

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 27, 2017, 04:21:04 PM
Hate is a strong word. Can we say disliked Tyrone players??

Probably only Sean Cavanagh comes into that bracket. Maybe Davey Harte. Smug

I respected Canavan, Dooher, McGuigan, O'Neill, Gormley, Cavlan even Ricey. Great players.

You couldn't hate Mugsy either. Sure he's half Maghera himself!

What the hell did Davy Harte ever do to annoy anyone?

randomusername

Quote from: The Stallion on April 27, 2017, 04:11:50 PM
Probably more to do with the fact he was a serial cheat who came across as too cowardly to compete honestly with more talented opponents to be honest.

Jordan? You sure? He had a great battle with Declan O'Sullivan in the 2008 final.

AZOffaly

Philly Jordan was a great player. I couldn't leave out Tomas O Se or Keegan, but I gave it consideration.

The Stallion

Quote from: randomusername on April 27, 2017, 08:26:34 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on April 27, 2017, 04:11:50 PM

Jordan? You sure? He had a great battle with Declan O'Sullivan in the 2008 final.

I'm quite sure Jordan was a cheat and indulge in some shameful antics on the pitch.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 27, 2017, 08:21:12 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 27, 2017, 05:36:50 PM

He was in his f**k, anytime there was a big job to be done it was thrust on to Tom O'Sullivan.

Marc O'Se was a decent corner back but there's been far, far better in his own generation. If he had been Marc O'Leary he would be relatively unheralded.

O'Sullivan was a good player but a spoiler. Christ Marc O'Se had everything in this locker. Some of his blocks. Unreal. The one against Tyrone in the SF two years ago springs to mind.