Semple Stadium closed for the year

Started by AZOffaly, April 01, 2016, 09:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

This is what we are up against in Tipp, how are we supposed to work like this? From examiner.ie

QuoteSemple Stadium Closed for 2016 Due to Playing Surface Concerns

Tipperary GAA chiefs have confirmed that the famed Semple Stadium, Thurles, will not be available to host any further league or championship games this year due to concerns over long term damage to the playing surface. As a result of the poor weather over the winter, and a heavy fixtures list, including several football games, there is a major worry that the pitch would not recover if it were subjected to further games over the summer period, and has thus been closed.

Tim Floyd, secretary of Tipperary GAA, has indicated that a major factor was the use of Thurles by the football team. "Unfortunately we have had to make this decision with regards to Semple Stadium, as we consider the long term implications for the pitch, which has always been one of the premier surfaces in the country. To be honest, at this stage it is hardly fit for the senior hurlers to train on, which they currently do 3 nights a week, and we just have to close it to protect it, and move the hurlers training sessions over to Dr. Morris Park. We will also not be in a position to host any games in 2016, while we allow the pitch to regenerate and recover itself, and we will spend approximately €100,000 to help in this process. Until then we are in talks with Limerick to host any Tipperary home games in hurling in Pairc na nGaeil".

On the football issue, Floyd added, "There's no doubt that the Football games that took place in Thurles earlier in the year had a negative effect on the pitch, the hurlers found it very difficult to train the following Tuesday. As a result we moved the Offaly game to Sean Treacy Park in Tipp Town, and the Kildare game to Ardfinnan or somewhere like that, I think. Anyway, we couldn't allow further damage to the surface, but unfortunately it was already gone too far to allow any more games this year."

Floyd added that he was confident the surface would be back to it's pristine self for the start of the Munster Hurling League in 2017.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians