'World Class Players'

Started by AZOffaly, February 02, 2016, 01:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

OK, this is inspired by a sidebar conversation on the Man Utd thread, but in fairness to the lads there, it really is a different topic. It is spawned by this phrase 'World Class', and what exactly that means. Is world class really just two or three players, who are basically the Ballon D'Or winners every year? Is it mainly confined to strikers and attacking midfielders? What constitutes 'World Class'.

So I want to see if we can arrive at a consensus of sorts. Imagine there is an Inter Galactic tournament in soccer, and we have to pick (after trials in Thurles) a squad of 23 that would compete in this. We have to select at least 2 goalies, and then fill the remaining 21 slots with a viable 'World Class' squad that can kick the Uranus off Mars. When you are nominating a player, indicate whether he is a Goalie, Defender, Defensive Midfielder, Midfielder, Attacking Midfielder, Attacker.

Enough of the loose talk, lets define world class. And then when Liverpool sign 4 of them, we can all say, Liverpool have World Class players :)

AZOffaly

Some nominations off the top of my head.

Goalies:
Manuel Neuer, Bayern & Germany
David De Gea, Man United and Spain

Forwards :
Luis Suarez, Barcelona & Uruguay
Lionel Messi, Barcelona & Argentina
Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid & Portugal

Clov

It really doesn't matter what 'world class' means as long as people are using the term to mean the same thing.

It seems like 99% of the debates on here are due to miscommunication and people talking at cross purposes.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Clov on February 02, 2016, 01:57:54 PM
It really doesn't matter what 'world class' means as long as people are using the term to mean the same thing.

It seems like 99% of the debates on here are due to miscommunication and people talking at cross purposes.

Not just here, everywhere. You often hear people saying such and such is 'World Class', but by what measure?

Walter Cronc

In the Premiership:

De Gea
Kompany
Silva
Augero
Courtois
Costa
Cech
Ozil
Sanchez

Thats it for me!

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 02, 2016, 02:04:53 PM
In the Premiership:

De Gea
Kompany
Silva
Augero
Courtois
Costa
Cech
Ozil
Sanchez

Thats it for me!

Pretty much agree with most of these...

Arsenal would want to win something of merit (other than the FA cup) and soon...

Clov

To answer your question, I think a workable definition is players that are among the very best* at their position globally.

* i.e. in the top half-dozen.

Apart from the odd Liverpool game I don't watch enough football to make an informed judgment on it, but i would have thought there is probably no one at Liverpool who qualify and may be only De Gea at united.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

blewuporstuffed

http://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2015/dec/21/the-100-best-footballers-in-the-world-2015-interactive

This is an interesting list.

To me I have always though of world class as a player who would get on most teams in the world.
Liverpool have no one at the moment, the most recent one being Suarez, and the Liverpool side of a few years ago you could make the case for Gerrard, Torres, Masharano & Alonso all from that team.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Boycey

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 02, 2016, 02:04:53 PM
In the Premiership:

De Gea
Kompany
Silva
Augero
Courtois
Costa
Cech
Ozil
Sanchez

Thats it for me!

We won't get concensus because we all will have different views.... For me I wouldn't have Costa on that list and while still a really good keeper I don't think Cech ever hit the same heights post the Stephen Hunt incident. Hazard would have been on everyones list last year but one indifferent year and he's not there

Walter Cronc

Funny Boycey those 3 players you listed all were is he/isn't he.

Cant think of any others in the PL at that level.

Personally I would rate Augero as the best in the league.

No wides

Peter Crouch 22 other millionaires who don't give a flying f**k about "their" club or "their" fans, all chasing the green.

Walter Cronc

AZOffaly

Yeah, but World Class, by my definition, would have to be rated alongside the best players from La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc etc. Like is Paul Pogba World Class? Some people say yes, some say no. So would he get in this putative World Squad? If not, who would keep him out?

If I take my list, and the others so far, our contenders so far are
Goalies
De Gea  Man United/Spain
Neuer     Bayern Munich/Germany
Courtois  Chelsea/Belgium
Cech  Arsenal/Czech REpublic

Full Backs
Jordi Alba Barcelona/Spain

Centre Halves
Kompany  Man City/Belgium
Thiago Silva PSG/Brazil

Defensive Midfielders
Phillip Lahm  Bayern/Germany *** Put him in here rather than full back, could be either.

Midfielders

Attacking Midfielders
Ozil ARsenal/Germany

Attackers
Silva Man City/Spain
Augero Man City/Argentina
Suarez Barcelona/Uruguay
Messi Barcelona/Argentina
Ronaldo Real Madrid/Portugal
Costa Chelsea/Spain
Sanchez Arsenal/Chile

Any others? I think the variance in what is considered is world class is interesting (I note Clov's definition). But in my hypothetical scenario, even in the above list, I couldn't see Silva or Costa making it, and I think Sanchez would be on the bubble. What about Lewendowski? Robben?  Then where are all the world class Defenders and Defensive Midfielders? I know Kompany is there, but to be honest, if he is in the top 4 centre halves (assume we'll take 4 centre halves and 4 full backs), then I think that points to a relatively low standard of centre halves.

blewuporstuffed

Thiago Silva
Philip Lahm
Jordi Alba
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Maroon Manc

Is Kompany really world class? He's a brilliant captain and leader but his performances for City & Belgium haven't been world class since City's 1st league title in 2012. Diego Costa is a very good player but he's not world class, the likes of Benzema & Cavani are better players then him and even Harry Kane.

There's certainly a dearth of world class central defenders the last 5 years. Look back 5 years when the league had Terry, Rio, Kompany & Vidic. There's not a defender in the Premier league at this level and very few around the world either.