Ciarraí V Corcaigh AISF 2008

Started by comethekingdom, August 10, 2008, 10:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: feetofflames on August 19, 2008, 11:42:56 AM
If Tyrone are lucky enough to beat Wexford I think most supporters would prefare playing Kerry to Cork.  Theres a touch of the unknown about Cork and they always held the upperhands in recent league meetings.  As for the Kerry 3 in a row - whats the thinking.  Is the 3 in a row a bigger motivating factor for the kingdom or their oppositions.   

Wouldn't it be great to spoil the party ?

SuperDooperCooper

I can never understand why people on this board constantly underestimate Cork.
The only side they have lost to in the championship since 2004 is Kerry – even if they have put in some shocking performances in those losses.
I see Sunday as a tight game. Usually in Cork v Kerry games the amount of ball won in midfield dictates the result.
If Kerry break even them we win the game, win midfield and we win with a bit to spare, lose midfield narrowly and it a draw.
Cork have been wiped out in midfield in Croke Park over the years after being competitive in Munster.
Cork have to stop Darragh bossing this area, he has bullied the cork players (especially Murphy) over the years in Dublin, will be interesting to see how Mr O'Neill fares.
No sure will Kerry start Bohane, he was lauded for his display against Galway but he could afford to take risks, as Bergin was way off the pace.
Bohane has been on the Kerry panel since 2004 (where he was the 31th man) and has yet to break through, if he starts I wish him well but it represents a gamble by the selectors.
The half back line is the best in the country, midfield unchanged with Tommy Griffin to come on with 20 to go, Half forward unchanged with Sheehan, Declan and Walsh (I would start Brozzie however).
Twin towers inside with Gooch reverting to his natural position in the corner now that Declan is up to speed. I expect Murphy to start for Cork with Canty on the bench. Us by 1 -3 points after a decent tussle.

Roashter

Hard to see anything but a victory here for the "Animals". Their full back line has been a bit shaky, but their half-backs & midfiled are very solid and they have a way more scoring forwards than Cork.
Declan O'Sullivan was badly missed in Munster final (so was Galvin), and I expect him to have a good game on Sunday. Dara O'Sé won't have been too happy with his battle with O'Neill the last day and I would expect him to at least break even this time around.
The fact Cork looked very pedestrian against Kildare will probably suit them, rather than winning by a big margin. They know they will need to improve and they are well capable of scoring points. For Cork to win they need to score at least 2 goals, but apart from Cussan, I'm not too sure if they have someone who can get them.
Should be a high scoring game

orangeman

Who will mark Cussen this time around ?

Tatler Jack

Quotecan never understand why people on this board constantly underestimate Cork

Dont think they are underestimated - just estimated accurately. Since the back door cam in Cork had performed poorly in Croke Park - - hammered by Kerry on 4 occassions and also lost to Fermanagh and Galway. Some very unimperssive wins including this years win over Kildare - last years win over Meath was the only half decent performance.

I am always inrtigued by the Kerry need to talk Cork up in public before the hammer them. In private most Kerry supporters do not rate Cork but they like to pretend that Cork are a footballliing force that that the might of the Kingdom will struggle to overcome. A few are honest though - met a Kerryman at the weekend who lives here in Cork and he told me straight out "he was wating for the final". I suggest the attendance on Sunday will show that most of Kerry are also "waiting for the final"

magickingdom

i have to say its set up for another fall for cork on sunday, i know a few cork lads that are dreading the day. each time they beat us in munster we've turned it around in the ai series. if cork win on sunday it'll be all they deserve if the lose it'll be the end of their world. thats why cork will fight like dogs for every scrap this time, the mf did not make up for last years ai but if they win this it just about will. if kerry continue to show the hunger they had against monaghan (dont think the galway game did much for them to be honest) and pat o shea has a plan that works for cussin and we get t walsh, donaghy and dara to performs (he will!) we win. if not the langers will have it. cant wait for this game!!!

Tyrone Dreamer

Dont think Cork will collapse like previous years. Usually when a team meets a team for the 2nd time in the championship in one season they struggle for motivation. I think after what has happened in previous years this will be the opposite this time. Cork are bound to be fired up (although you'd have thought the same for the past few Croke Park meetings) and should give Kerry a game. They look to be an improving team with greater options than in previous years. Id say long high balls will put in at every opportunity early on to see if Kerry can cope. It could turn into a very interesting match. Dont be suprised if people have written Cork off too soon this time.

Frank Casey

Bohane a doubt. Pity as he had a great steadying influence when he came on against Galway.

http://www.ireland.com/sport/gaa/hurling/Bohane_suffers_back_blow/maxiview.ie?pid=0&mx_fast_NEWS_gaasports_uuid=55641_irnewsgaa

Bohane suffers back blow
Kerry have been hit with a possible injury concern ahead of Sunday's All-Ireland SFC semi-final meeting with Cork at Croke Park.

Defender Daniel Bohane has emerged as a concern ahead of the clash against the side that conquered Kerry in the Munster final after limping out of a game at the weekend with a back injury.

The Austin Stacks clubman would be an unlikely starter against the Rebels after only making his Champinship debut as a substitute in the quarter-final win over Galway.

However, he had a very steadying influence when introduced on that rain-soaked day at Croke Park, quelling the influence that the Tribesmens' Joe Bergin was having as the Galway man threatened to run riot in the rain.

Bohane was part of the Kingdom side that claimed this year's All-Ireland U21 crown and will be a very useful option for Kingdom boss Pat O'Shea if he is passed fit in time for Sunday's clash.

KERRY 3:7

Mike Sheehy

Quotemet a Kerryman at the weekend who lives here in Cork and he told me straight out "he was wating for the final".

Like I said before, its amazing how many of these free-talking Kerrymen you lads seem to meet in the run up to our games...and they always seem to express the exact sentiments to support the point ye are trying to make about Kerry. Its truly amazing !

Tatler Jack

QuoteLike I said before, its amazing how many of these free-talking Kerrymen you lads seem to meet in the run up to our games...and they always seem to express the exact sentiments to support the point ye are trying to make about Kerry. Its truly amazing !

Not so amazing Mike. There are so many of them out there that we are bound to run into a few!!! ;)

Frank Casey

Cork team named.

from http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/gaa/2008/0819/1219158416464.html

Counihan names Cork team
Team News : Conor Counihan named his Cork starting line-up to take on Kerry in Sunday's All-Ireland SFC semi-final against Kerry with captain Graham Canty and Nicholas Murphy the notable absentees at this stage.

That said both players could still feature for the Rebels if they come through late fitness tests in time. Canty is struggling with knee ligament injury while Murphy has a hamstring strain.

Alan O'Connor and Pearse O'Neill will feature in midfield while Derek Kavanagh has the unenviable task of containing Kieran Donaghy. James McMasters starts at centre forward Michael Cussen at full forward.

Kerry are not due to name their starting line-up until tomorrow night.

Cork (v Kerry) : Alan Quirke, Diarmuid Duggan, Derek Kavanagh, Anthony Lynch, Brian O'Regan, Ger Spillane, Kieran O'Connor, Alan O'Connor, Pearse O'Neill, Donncha O'Connor, Seamus Mac Maistir, Sean O'Brien, Daniel Goulding, Michael Cussen, John Hayes

© 2008 The Irish Times

comethekingdom

Will be a very poor attendance on Sunday - some sayin that there is nobody from Cork goin. Croker with only 30,000 or so inside lacks atmosphere.

Kerry Mike

Cork v Kerry has always been a great football rivalry but never to the same degree as over the last decade. When they go head to head in next Sundays All-Ireland football semi-final in Croke Park (3.30pm) it will be the 17th time that they have met in the championship since the start of the 1998 season.

Kerry are bidding to reach their seventh final this decade (they missed out in 2001 and 2003) while Cork are attempting to reach the final for the second successive year.

Paths to the semi-final
Kerry
Kerry 1-14 Clare 0-5 (Munster semi-final)
Cork 1-16 Kerry 1-11 (Munster final)
Kerry 1-13 Monaghan 0-13 (R3 Qualifier)
Kerry 1-21 Galway 1-16 (All-Ireland quarter-final)
Average For: 1-15; Average Against: 0-14

Kerry scorers
B Sheehan...................0-20
C Cooper......................1-8
D Walsh.......................2-1
T Walsh.......................0-6
K Donaghy...................1-3
Declan O'Sullivan...........0-5
A O'Mahony.................0-4
D O Se........................0-3
Darren O'Sullivan...........0-2
S O'Sullivan..................0-2
T O Se........................0-2
P Galvin.......................0-1
E Brosnan....................0-1
S Scanlon....................0-1

Cork
Cork 2-9 Limerick 0-12 (Munster semi-final)
Cork 1-16 Kerry 1-11 (Munster final)
Cork 2-11 Kildare 1-11 (All-Ireland quarter-final)
Average For: 2-11; Average Against: 1-10

Cork scorers
D Goulding.........1-11
J Hayes..............1-7
M Cussen............2-3
D O'Connor.........0-6
G Canty..............1-0
P O'Neill..............0-3
N Murphy............0-2
P Kerrigan............0-1
J Masters.............0-2
F Goold................0-1

Cork v Kerry: 16 Championship Clashes (1998-2008)
2008 Cork 1-16 Kerry 1-11 (Munster final)
2007 Kerry 3-13 Cork 1-9 (All-Ireland final)
2007 Kerry 1-15 Cork 1-13 (Munster final)
2006 Kerry 0-16 Cork 0-10 (All-Ireland semi-final)
2006 Cork 1-12 Kerry 0-9 (Munster final replay)
2006 Cork 0-10 Kerry 0-10 (Munster final)
2005 Kerry 1-19 Cork 0-9 (All-Ireland semi-final)
2005 Kerry 1-11 Cork 0-11 (Munster final)
2004 Kerry 0-15 Cork 0-7 (Munster semi-final)
2002 Kerry 3-19 Cork 2-7 (All-Ireland semi-final)
2002 Cork 0-15 Kerry 1-9 (Munster semi-final replay)
2002 Cork 0-8 Kerry 0-8 (Munster semi-final)
2001 Kerry 0-19 Cork 0-13 (Munster final)
2000 Kerry 2-15 Cork 1-13 (Munster semi-final)
1999 Cork 2-10 Kerry 2-4 (Munster final)
1998 Kerry 1-14 Cork 1-11 (Munster semi-final)
Kerry 10, Cork 4, Draw 2.

LAST TEN SEMI-FINALS
Kerry
2007: Kerry 1-15 Dublin 0-16
2006: Kerry 0-16 Cork 0-10
2005: Kerry 1-19 Cork 0-9
2004: Kerry 1-17 Derry 1-11
2003: Tyrone 0-13 Kerry 0-6
2002: Kerry 3-19 Cork 2-7
2001: Meath 2-14 Kerry 0-5
2000: Kerry 2-15 Armagh 1-15 (replay ,after extra-time)
2000: Kerry 2-11 Armagh 2-11
1998: Kildare 0-13 Kerry 1-9
Won 6, Lost 3, Drew 1.

Cork
2007: Cork 1-16 Meath 0-9
2006: Kerry 0-16 Cork 0-10
2005: Kerry 1-19 Cork 0-9
2002: Kerry 3-19 Cork 2-7
1999: Cork 2-12 Mayo 0-12
1995: Dublin 1-12 Cork 0-12
1994: Down 1-13 Cork 0-11
1993: Cork 5-15 Mayo 0-10
1990: Cork 0-17 Roscommon 0-10
1989: Cork 2-10 Dublin 1-9
Won 5. Lost 5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time for Cork to stand up and be counted against Kerry in Crork Park, they have talked the talk over the years but nothing to show for it since 1990 and this year holding the GAA to ransom with their strike has created alot of resentment towards Cork and its pampered players, its now or never for the Cork footballers, they struggled against Limerick and should have lost that game but for 2 very late goals, though they did turn on the style in the second half against Kerry in the Munster final, but in a miserable day in Leeside Kerry's heart just did not seem to be in it in the end. Again against Kildare they started well but lost interest in the game and were lucky to avoid the late onslaught by the Lillies.

Cussen if he gets ball will be a threat though in the All Ireland final last year when he started well he faded as the game went on and the lack of quality ball from the middle was his hindrance, Tom OSullivan won their battle overall. Lets hope for the same next Sunday from Tom, even in the Munster final Tom broke lots of balls off the big man but these were picked up by a more intune Cork forward line.

Dinny Long the former Cork and Austin Stacks player was on Kerry radio last week stiring it by saying that Cork might play Nicholas Murphy up in the Full Forward line with Cussen. I wonder where we have seen that tactic before, and maybe Nicky Muprhy will avoid his nemephis Darragh O'Se in the midfield minefield.

Hard to know what Cork will turn up, when they are in the mood they are a good team, but unless they can produce a performance and more importantly a result against Kerry outside of Munster there will be a question about them. Counihan is a good manager and will instill his pride in Cork in them. I am fearful that the 3 in a row title hopes could come a cropper on Sunday, it will be an interesting game.

Would have thought that Shileds would be in the full back line to add a bit of strength or even Noel O'Leary to add a bit of grunt to the half back line.

With Daniel Bohane a possible doubt I dont see any change to the Kerry line up. Some interesting line up to look forward to.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Frank Casey

KM wouldn't be surprised if named 15 is for the programme only.

Kerry Mike

QuoteIs the 3 in a row a bigger motivating factor for the kingdom or their oppositions.

If we get to the final, winning will be the motivation. The 3-in-a-row is just an additional bonus that comes if we get that far.

QuoteKM wouldn't be surprised if named 15 is for the programme only.

I've heard many rumours around langerland this week. Cant see Masters playing on Aidan O'Mahony , a player who has never liked the hard slog for the ball will probably be closer to the goal. Can see either Canty or Murphy starting too and maybe Shields.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football