Best thing heard at a GAA match.

Started by mhacadoir, April 26, 2008, 02:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie linkbox

Back in 2005 there was a double header on in Clones. Monaghan were playing London in a qualifier and Armagh were playing Donegal in an Ulster semi final replay. A few of us went along to support Monaghan and we obviously stayed on for the second game.

Standing behind us on the Hill was this idiot from Armagh who spent his time slabbering abuse at anyone within earshot throughout the Armagh vs. Donegal game.

There was about 5 or 10 minutes to go and Armagh were winning well so we decided to head for the exit and get away before the traffic. As we walked across the front of the Hill yer man roared after us: "Aye, go way and fcuk off Monaghan. Sure who the fcuk are London anyway?" to which one of my mates, without a second's hesitation, roared back "You should know. They're from the same country as yourself".

That retort got the biggest cheer of the day (from Donegal and Armagh people alike). I still laugh when I think of it  :D

timmyot501

An U-16 league game and the home team were up by 8 or 9 points with time almost up. The manager tells one of the less gifted subs to warm up. (This normally meant run down along the sideline to the endline and back to mid-field and the slip would be ready for the sub to run on). The manager fills in the slip and looks up to send on his man when in the distance he sees him headin for the dressing room.  Sometimes actions speak louder than words

When confronted after the game the young lad reckoned it wasn't worth his while going on for just a few seconds so he decided to head on home.

On another occasion a veteran forward got into some strife and looked to the linesman for assistance but when none was forthcoming he barked at the linesman - "Take the hair out of your eyes ya baldy ba*@ard"

Fíor Gael

Overheard at a club match recently in Down, a rather vocal and somewhat nasty Ardglass supporter(they are all the same) shouted at the ref who's first name is gabriel,
'who the f**k names their son Gabriel ye poofy bastard ye?'

moysider

Some years ago at a championship match between Knockmore and North Nayo divisional side. A North lad got lamped off the ball by a Knockmore player [ completely out of character for Knockmore at that time ;D] The referee saw nothing and called on attention for the young fella. I was with a few lads including  a couple of Knockmore lads. I saw the strike but was nt sure who was responsible so i whispered to M*** beside me ''was it ***** ****** that levelled him''? He confirmed in a loud voice, that could be heard 10 yards away, that it was indeed the fella i suspected.
'' It was ******. Is nt he a cushin of me own. Gave to to him straight in the kisser fair play to him''.
The Crossmolina linesman M*** H*** was doin the line and heard this as he inside the wire just in front of us. His ears pricked up and although he had seen nothing, a minute after the incident he put up his flag ran in, pointed out the fella he overheard M*** say was responsible and the culprit was duly redcarded.
In effect my friend had got his clubman and 'cushin' the line. We gave him some stick.

At the same game a lad I know was doin a veteran tigerish marking job on a very young Knockmore player, who would have been in his first year playin senior and had just come on as a sub. ***** says to him.

'' Christ you must have been on an awful tear last night entirely. You did nt get home at all''

Young fella says ''what de fcuk you on about I was nt drinkin last night''

**** says '' Dont be tellin lies, you were out all night''

''How the Fcok would you know what I was doin last night''?

''Well I was with your mother all night and you never came home''

downredblack

There's always the Poc Fada lads .

Don't start fighting lads for f**ks sake yiz will only lose that as well .

The Rosary , two aul ones  from Donegal . Beads out and all .

screenexile

I think someone told this one before but it's still a classic about playing in America against a team with a few yanks.

Anyway the yank was marking some Irish fella and a bit of pushing and verbals ensued. The yank duly said he had fcuked the young Irishman's mother to which the Irishman said there was no way! The Yank was very adamant that he did so the lad shouted up to his team mate up front... "Here Mick, this dickhead says he rid me Ma last night!" to which Mick replied "He's a lying bastard! Sure she didn't leave my house til 9 this morning!!!"

Feckitt

Replay between Armagh and Donegal a few years back, the only game they could get for a warm up was Cavan v Donegal in the Ulster hurling shield.  It was puke hurling of the worst order.  No one was watching it, not even the Donegal ones would cheer for their own county. 

A big Donegal man stood up and shouted,

Get them useless eejits off the pitch !!.  Put the band back on and play a few tunes!!

dec

Best thing heard at a GAA match?

The final whistle on September 22nd, 2002.

corn02

Why was it a fancy blast, did he get the timing right of the whistle. Was it a beep beep beep or beeeeeeeep beep beep?

ExiledGael

Was in Parnell at the weekend and a bit of a scuffle went up infront of us and the ref called the Kerry man over with the Derry man (can't recall who) lying on the ground, the crowd close by started chanting off off off in true mob style with the hands up pointing to the sideline. Some quite drunk fella beside me started shouting 'crucify him, crucify him'. Assume he wasn't being literal but thought it was hilarious.

themanwhowasntthere

Apologies for another of the "I said it myself" ones.

I was at the Down SHC final about 2-3 years ago at Portaferry. Unusually, my better half agreed to accompany me, on promise of lunch / few bevvies in the Portaferry Hotel beforehand.

During game, Ballygalget right half back clears the ball out of play & over the fence. Saw it coming & avoided aforesaid sliotar. But, wife gets the ball right on the nose, no real damage done, but eyes watering.

All I said to her was "only 1 prod in the entire ground & he got ya". 

ziggysego

After the Ulster Final Replay in 2006.

"They shot the wrong Michael Collins".
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

BennyHarp

"Get your hair out of your eyes Canavan"
That was never a square ball!!

ziggysego

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 28, 2008, 09:36:18 PM
"Get your hair out of your eyes Canavan"

Was that at the 2005 AI Final? A Kerry man shouted that out near me.
Testing Accessibility