Roscommon v Tyrone

Started by EC Unique, July 20, 2011, 12:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzz

Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2011, 07:08:49 PM
Excellent post Matt and not much I can add .
Maybe a bit of cop on from Deegan would have helped , he seemed to fall for plenty of oul Tyrone tricks (e.g booked Purcell despite McGuigan elbowing him for 5 minutes right in front of effin Duffy's eyse, giving a free against Micky Finn for winning a 50/50 ball , not giving us a free when a man was pushed ovr the line and generally favouring th the big names against the unknowns little lads.
Still the best team won but no way were they 11 points better than us.
We need bto believe and anything is possible e.g Mwr batin Cork.
Future is bright Future is Rros.

You really shouldnt comment if you werent watching what actually happened...Ive no doubt that you did not watch that same incident for 5 minutes.  And not wishing to get into a debate about one incident - McGuigan DID elbow him in the stomach.  However his marker was holding McGuigan every single time he went to make a run.  I was sitting where McGuigan was playing in the second half and there was a few rolling round on the ground sessions.  I have no doubt McGuigan can and is sneaky at times but this incident was not just a McGuigan elbow.  Much more leading to that.  McQuillan watched it on numerous occasions and was watching them both when McGuigan threw the elbow into the gut and still only highlighted to the ref the Roscommon defenders behaviour.  Wonder why?

As for the Micky Finneran's "challenge" on Swift you are right it was a 50/50 chance of winning.  Swift actually won it not Finneran...it was the case of a big man meets a wee man.  Finneran had the right to go for it but was just a split second too late.  The collision was always going to happen.  Dont know if the booking should be warranted but certainly nothing more.

On a side note and to other Tyrone fans...Are you ever embarassed by your fellow supporters?  i.e. the ones that accompany their husbands on a day out and shout random shite? or even the young buck or middle aged man that has clearly never played the game or watched much football until recent times and makes some ridiculous comments?  Some examples of this - Firstly woman shouting PENALTY when Colm Cavanagh was klobbered by the Roscommon goalkeeper in the second half when it was clearly a mile outside the box...on other occasions - "You better win that <Insert name here> you called for it"  and another one in the above mentioned incident of wee man meets big man - men/boy shouting that its a sending off.  Cringeworthy stuff at times.  Embarassment to themselves and their county.  Maybe we should bring in the segregated supporters sections so as they cant embarass county just themselves.

All in all - simple game to analyse Roscommon were great in first half - kick passing into FF line was accurate and quick, Gormley and Joe hadnt an answer to them.  Roscommon goal (Stupid Packy) was a god send for Roscommon and had me worried.  It was score for score at that point and I couldnt see Tyrone being able to score 3 or 4 points on the trot to come back into the game.  The fact Tyrone got a quick goal afterwards for me was the turning point.  From being 4 points down we went in 1 up.  Second half im not sure what Tyrone did different to ensure the Ros FF line didnt win as much clean ball.  Maybe Ros stopped doing what they had been doing.  Whichever Tyrone came out in second half and was able to extend the lead and whilst Roscommon were still in it with 6 or 7 minutes to go only 5 points behind I still think Tyrone were comfortable at that stage.  Scoreline does not suggest the contest the game was and I think it will have done the Tyrone team the world of good.

nrico2006

Quote from: oakleafgael on July 31, 2011, 10:45:08 PM
Quote from: maco on July 31, 2011, 05:45:28 PM
Unfortunately it is true. I don't want to release a name yet for obvious reasons. The story is that he was involved in some sort of altercation with Kildare supporters last night. Him and the brother were supposed to have been running away from them, both jumped a wall and he ended up in the water. Brother jumped in to save him but couldn't. Very sad - he's been married less than a year.

Heard the news this morning before Mass. It hit me like a sledge hammer. First wedding anniversary next week. A lovely fella who will be sorely missed. Not going to go into the circumstances as it wont change anything.

I see some sc**bag has posted a video on Youtube of the deceased man being taken from the river and having first aid performed on him.  Tragic stuff and surprised it hasn't been taken down.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

spectator

Quote from: ross matt on July 31, 2011, 04:21:41 PM

Whats important for us though is that we took them on in Croker and competed well for 3 quarters of the match and had them on the back foot for most of the 1st half. We have to learn from this. We have to mature physically and mentally. Above all we need to capitalise on our periods of dominace by coverting obvious scoring opportunities like all the top sides do. We need to bring in a few more players but as the minors showed yesterday they are on the way. Roscommon football is in a healthy state. Progress is slow and painful but it is progress.

Congrats Tyrone on a well deserved win & Good Luck against the Dubs next weekend.

You have things fairly well summed up from a primrose and blue perspective Ross Matt. Promotion from the upcoming league campaign should also be targeted imo. Playing the upper tier counties there regularly is the only avenue open to Ros, if we're to develop the ability to last the pace and maintain concentration for the full duration of games against better opposition. Steady progress is continuing in the overall set-up, lads are gaining experience and the seniors have developed a more solid look this year. While we're still well short of the top teams at senior the graph remains very much on the up. Saturday's final quarter drop in performance was disappointing, but with a few younger lads to come in and hopefully progression in the league, we can continue to improve and become more competitive at a higher level down the line.

Hardy

Just in passing, it brought a lump to my throat to see Seán Cavanagh revive the great Tyrone tradition of extravagant bandaging.

Rossfan

Quote from: Muzz on August 01, 2011, 09:37:39 AM
- McGuigan DID elbow him in the stomach.  However his marker was holding McGuigan every single time he went to make a run.  I was sitting where McGuigan was playing in the second half and there was a few rolling round on the ground sessions.  I have no doubt McGuigan can and is sneaky at times but this incident was not just a McGuigan elbow.  Much more leading to that. McQuillan watched it on numerous occasions and was watching them both when McGuigan threw the elbow into the gut and still only highlighted to the ref the Roscommon defenders behaviour.  Wonder why?

Because he's a biased Ulsterman perhaps  >:( except it was Duffy who was watching . McQ was linesman in the 3rd game.
Or more seriously either Duffy or Deegan don't know the rules .. strike = red card.
However a sensible ref not afraid of the big teams would normally yellow card the 2 boys and tell them to cut it out.

On a more sombre note .. My condolences to the relatives and friends of the Tyrone supporter who lost his life on Saturday.
Puts the football in perspective.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 30, 2011, 05:49:57 PM
Some afters with Gormley and the 14 there. Not sure if it was Shine or Kilbride. Good win for Tyrone though.

Maybe he just wanted to give him one last pat on the back http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/power-rankings-2-aug.aspx

Hard to take anything from the highlights, very enjoyable listening to it on newstalk though, the goals certainly distorted the scoreline. Looking forward to seeing how they get on against the Dubs on Sat.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Just watched the Sunday Game there on RTE player, have to say some of the Roscommon footpassing was top drawer stuff.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 04, 2011, 12:50:29 AM
Just watched the Sunday Game there on RTE player, have to say some of the Roscommon footpassing was top drawer stuff.

Particularly in the first half, when the Tyrone defence give them plenty of room to operate. Be interested to see if Ricey starts v the Dubs!