county championships 2013

Started by waterfordlad, September 19, 2013, 08:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterfordlad

Quote from: johnneycool on November 11, 2013, 09:25:17 AM
Quote from: waterfordlad on November 10, 2013, 07:23:39 PM
Downes was excellent and I think better team won but as you said Passage did well to keep in it as were under a lot of pressure at times. Na Piarsaigh's forwards were better. Good game for the time of year.

Pretty good game the bits I seen off it.

Was it Downes who popped over the point at the end on his left side and under a good bit of pressure?

IIRC he's a left hander anyway.

I see sixmilebridge won the Clare championship, with Niall Gilligan still on the go, he must be touching 40 by now.

Yeah that was some score by Downes. Gilligan is 37 I think and still looks a great player at club level. The conditions were bad for the Clare hurling final looking at Tg4 last night. Hurling at this time of year is different than in the summer with heavy pitches and suits more physical teams.

CitySlicker11

It's not just about stopping Lehane (bit strange saying that giving how impressive his individual display was the last time) however Luke O'Farrell chipped in with 3 or 4 points in the county final at very important times. They also have Cork panelist Brian Hartnett who is capable of causing damage. I think they should get past Sixmilebridge (maybe not) but I think overall Na Piarsaigh should come out of Munster.

This would leave them against Portumna with Loughgiel v OTB, KK or B'Boden. Will be four very good teams at the semi final stages.

imtommygunn

Would portuma be as good as they were a few years ago? Suppose time will tell.

Would like to see otb make the breakthrough from leinster but think b'boden will go through. Munster and leinster very competitive.

Minder

Ballyboden beaten by Mount Leinster Rangers in Leinster semi final.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 12, 2013, 09:47:51 PM

No. Team is probably a bit past it's best now. Obviously Joe Canning is still young but a fair few of the rest are the wrong side of 30 now. Will still be dangerous enough though.

Reckon they will be playing Na Piarsaigh in the semis and they have a young enough team I think so they may have the legs on Portumna at this stage but if it stays tight then Portumna have the experience to win games like that.

belleaqua

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 12, 2013, 09:47:51 PM

Would like to see otb make the breakthrough from leinster but think b'boden will go through. Munster and leinster very competitive.

No - by no means at the standard of their 2 in a row team but still a crafty and experienced side. Lack the pace they had but have put in one huge push this year for a County Title and more. Probably see a couple of retirements after this irrespective of the the All Ireland series results. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they win it but expecting the hunger and ability of other sides left will see them through.

johnneycool

Quote from: Minder on November 17, 2013, 03:54:46 PM

That's some win for the Carlow champions, Boden were expecting to do big things in Leinster and beyond, but fell at the first hurdle.

Oulart the Ballagh will surely fancy their chances now, but shouldn't take the Rangers for granted as Boden can testify to..

Lehane wasn't enough for Sixmilebridge who during the bit I was able to watch were susceptible to the odd goal with the No15 for Midleton causing problems for the bridge defence and set up a good chance for Lehane who hit the side netting with it. If the umpire hadn't have been on his toes there could have been a bit of consternation as the ball ended up inside the net because the side netting hadn't been tied down. He rightly stood his ground and gave it as wide.

Why can simple things like this not be sorted and fixed before the game starts and this was no club ground somewhere, it was Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on November 18, 2013, 09:20:08 AM

That's some win for the Carlow champions, Boden were expecting to do big things in Leinster and beyond, but fell at the first hurdle.

Oulart the Ballagh will surely fancy their chances now, but shouldn't take the Rangers for granted as Boden can testify to..

Lehane wasn't enough for Sixmilebridge who during the bit I was able to watch were susceptible to the odd goal with the No15 for Midleton causing problems for the bridge defence and set up a good chance for Lehane who hit the side netting with it. If the umpire hadn't have been on his toes there could have been a bit of consternation as the ball ended up inside the net because the side netting hadn't been tied down. He rightly stood his ground and gave it as wide.

Why can simple things like this not be sorted and fixed before the game starts and this was no club ground somewhere, it was Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Mount Leinster Rangers won the All Ireland Intermediate final and have made a massive step up in class, Ken Hogan was saying yesterday that they were hosting the feile last year and they came with a very strong team and wiped away most of the clubs including his own club, all the kids have hurling bags with at least 3 hurls in it. Stuck between all the big hurling counties is paying big dividends I'd say
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2013, 10:21:59 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 18, 2013, 09:20:08 AM

Mount Leinster Rangers won the All Ireland Intermediate final and have made a massive step up in class, Ken Hogan was saying yesterday that they were hosting the feile last year and they came with a very strong team and wiped away most of the clubs including his own club, all the kids have hurling bags with at least 3 hurls in it. Stuck between all the big hurling counties is paying big dividends I'd say

Plus club hurling in Kilkenny giving them regular competitive games at a high level.

deiseach

It really has been a banner (pun unintended) year for hurling. Well done to Mount Leinster Rangers on reinforcing that.

Minder

Na Piarsaigh look like they will be hard to work in All Ireland Semi
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

CitySlicker11

3 of the 4 All Ireland semi finalists now know, with the 4th TBC next weekend, what way are the odds fixed now?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on November 24, 2013, 08:00:52 PM
3 of the 4 All Ireland semi finalists now know, with the 4th TBC next weekend, what way are the odds fixed now?

Portumna favs 11/10 Loughgiel 10/3 OTB 4/1 as is Na Piarsaigh with Mount Rangers sitting on 20/1!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bord na Mona man

Loughgiel are the best team still in it, but they've been going at it for a few years now and may come unstuck against a fresher team.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 25, 2013, 11:41:49 AM
Loughgiel are the best team still in it, but they've been going at it for a few years now and may come unstuck against a fresher team.

Na Piarsaigh @ 4/1 are a big price.  Serious outfit and will give Portumna their fill of it.