Top 3 Matches since 1983

Started by Lady GAA GAA, October 30, 2009, 12:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

G estimator i was at both and even though we lost the 94 game is by far the best i attended, though i was present at Galway v Kerry in the final and replay and Kildare v Galway 98, those very very good games, Cavan v Derry in the ulster final 97 was another great game

Sidney

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 07, 2013, 09:22:01 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 07, 2013, 09:10:22 PM
Why?
Different manager that concentrates more on attacking football played at high pace. Gilroy had Dublin physically prepared and the strength of their team started in defence.
Under Gilroy Dublin showed glimpses of the type of free flowing attacking football they've now become renowned for, particularly when they ripped Tyrone apart in the 2011 quarter-final.

Gavin looked at the players he had and decided he had the tools to go with that relentless high pace attacking game. That game takes more out of players than a defensive game plan, So far Dublin have looked perfectly prepared to play it for 70 minutes. Gavin has been more than justified in changing the team's style.

Syferus

Quote from: Sidney on September 07, 2013, 10:24:45 PM
Why?
Different manager that concentrates more on attacking football played at high pace. Gilroy had Dublin physically prepared and the strength of their team started in defence.
Under Gilroy Dublin showed glimpses of the type of free flowing attacking football they've now become renowned for, particularly when they ripped Tyrone apart in the 2011 quarter-final.

Gavin looked at the players he had and decided he had the tools to go with that relentless high pace attacking game. That game takes more out of players than a defensive game plan, So far Dublin have looked perfectly prepared to play it for 70 minutes. Gavin has been more than justified in changing the team's style.

Defending wears players down in all sports far more than attacking does.

Defensive football in gaelic means forwards streaming back almost to a man, whereas a team primarily focused on dictating play rather than countering it will leave those same players up nearer the 'key' ( to borrow K-Mac's borrowed term) and if they do track back it will be in a far more limited capacity.

Running fast for the few seconds you're in possession is far less of a drag than having to jog endlessly up and down the field.

Dublin are plenty fit enough but this year they've just picked a team with more pace and youth than in previous years.

Estimator

The MacRory final of 1989
St Pat's Maghera: 4-10 St Colman's Newry 4-09
Ulster League Champions 2009

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on September 07, 2013, 10:31:05 PM
Quote from: Sidney on September 07, 2013, 10:24:45 PM
Why?

Defending wears players down in all sports far more than attacking does.

Defensive football in gaelic means forwards streaming back almost to a man, whereas a team primarily focused on dictating play rather than countering it will leave those same players up nearer the 'key' ( to borrow K-Mac's borrowed term) and if they do track back it will be in a far more limited capacity.

Running fast for the few seconds you're in possession is far less of a drag than having to jog endlessly up and down the field.

Dublin are plenty fit enough but this year they've just picked a team with more pace and youth than in previous years.

That's incorrect. Dublin are as fit, if not fitter, I would suspect than they were in 2011. Mind you I don't know how anyone who is not involved in a team can proclaim them to be fitter/less fit than previously as you have no data to compare. Bottom line is none of us know for sure how teams fitness compares to previous years and you can't state "Defending wears players down in all sports far more than attacking does." as there are far too many variables to make that statement.

Wildweasel74

that schools game was the best game ever at that level

No Soloing

Quote from: Estimator on September 08, 2013, 11:10:54 AM
The MacRory final of 1989
St Pat's Maghera: 4-10 St Colman's Newry 4-09

This was the game I had in mind when reading this thread. I was trying to remember what year it was. I was there with mates from St Pats, though I didnt go there myself. It was intense from the throw in until the final whistle.

On a personal level - Lavey v Tir Chonaill Gaels in 1991 when Anthony McGurk scored a goal with the last kick to force extra time. That was as excited as I ever got throughout a game 

Zulu

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 08, 2013, 11:30:28 AM

I think St. Jarlaths against Coláiste na Sceilge (2002?) is regarded as the best schools game ever.

muppet

Quote from: Zulu on September 08, 2013, 11:59:21 AM

I think St. Jarlaths against Coláiste na Sceilge (2002?) is regarded as the best schools game ever.

Declan O'Sullivan versus Michael Meehan?
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

Yep, in Limerick I think and widely regarded as one of the best games, at any level, ever played.

oneoftheseyears

Interesting how few people are choosing Dublin v Kerry 2013 in their top 3.. Best game EVER according to Colm O Rourke!

Syferus

Quote from: oneoftheseyears on September 08, 2013, 12:57:03 PM
Interesting how few people are choosing Dublin v Kerry 2013 in their top 3.. Best game EVER according to Colm O Rourke!

Easily one of the best. People just being coy because they don't want to look like they're part of the rush to lionise it. Give it a couple years.

Sidney

Quote from: oneoftheseyears on September 08, 2013, 12:57:03 PM
Is he wrong?   ;)

Estimator

Quote from: muppet on September 08, 2013, 12:14:22 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 08, 2013, 11:59:21 AM

Declan O'Sullivan versus Michael Meehan?
Was the the semi final? As I think Jarlaths hammered Enniskillen in the final
Ulster League Champions 2009

Zulu