Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In hiding

Quote from: trailer on January 28, 2019, 01:23:52 PM
Was disappointed when I heard the result. Thought Tyrone would have gave it more of a rattle. Early doors I know, but they looked good in McKenna Cup and with Kerry under new management thought they would've laid down an early marker.

A new manager seems to help things alright

Fuzzman

Yeah we were at the game and were amazed he brought on DC rather than LB but someone beside me said maybe it was cos LB had been playing Sigerson recently. I would say it's just Mickey hoping Canavan can learn quickly.

Kerry were  very well organised and snuffed out all our attempts and going forward. We looked very lethargic and almost not interested in trying to work hard to break them down. They maybe underestimated how much Kerry would be up for it and they worked harder and more defensively than usual.

twenty one yard free

Made the long journey to Killarney and the even longer journey home , Kyle the  only stand out player on the tyrone team when he was eventually brought on

Will MH start him against Mayo or is Kyle destined to be an mpact sub this year

southtyronegael

Scoring Zone

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 28, 2019, 03:19:43 PM
Yeah we were at the game and were amazed he brought on DC rather than LB but someone beside me said maybe it was cos LB had been playing Sigerson recently. I would say it's just Mickey hoping Canavan can learn quickly.

Kerry were  very well organised and snuffed out all our attempts and going forward. We looked very lethargic and almost not interested in trying to work hard to break them down. They maybe underestimated how much Kerry would be up for it and they worked harder and more defensively than usual.

It seemed abit of a shit show in general, but our record in Killarney is woeful and with the sigerson and lack of continuity in the squad general, this should be ironed out after the sigerson and I would bet tyrone taking this Kerry team in Croker later on in the summer. But it is the simple execution of skills and concentration absent - the line balls going back, the kickout not being taken from the right spot - which has happened v Donegal, v Monaghan and Dublin now so Morgan needs to concentrate on being a Keeper first and stay behind the 21 as he is a liability at present with more reasonability.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Scoring Zone on January 29, 2019, 08:54:29 AM

It seemed abit of a shit show in general, but our record in Killarney is woeful and with the sigerson and lack of continuity in the squad general, this should be ironed out after the sigerson and I would bet tyrone taking this Kerry team in Croker later on in the summer. But it is the simple execution of skills and concentration absent - the line balls going back, the kickout not being taken from the right spot - which has happened v Donegal, v Monaghan and Dublin now so Morgan needs to concentrate on being a Keeper first and stay behind the 21 as he is a liability at present with more reasonability.

It would seem slightly presumptuous to blame / name a goalkeeper for a loss in a game which your basically saying you didn't see, in a game that same goalkeeper did not concede any goals.

Tyrone were beat because they scored 7 pts. You won't ever win a game of Gaelic Football with a score of 0-7 pts. There is also the fact that Kerry are quite good at Gaelic Football under their new manager, at home, against a team they have had a modern dislike for. Maybe they just wanted it more than Tyrone?

deadman

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 29, 2019, 09:56:35 AM

It would seem slightly presumptuous to blame / name a goalkeeper for a loss in a game which your basically saying you didn't see, in a game that same goalkeeper did not concede any goals.

Tyrone were beat because they scored 7 pts. You won't ever win a game of Gaelic Football with a score of 0-7 pts. There is also the fact that Kerry are quite good at Gaelic Football under their new manager, at home, against a team they have had a modern dislike for. Maybe they just wanted it more than Tyrone?

Yes there was a marked difference in Kerry's hunger compared to ours, but they hardly blew us out of the water. Our defence coped with them fairly well for the majority of the game, and in essence it was a poor match in terms of standard of play. Kerry supporters were bemoaning much their own play, but such self-scrutiny from the Kingdom crowd is to be expected.
Seven points, two from play, is a really poor tally for 70+ minutes at this level. We never looked like getting so much as a sniff of goal, there has to be a real moulding process of the attacking department throughout the league campaign because we looked fresh out of ideas going forward on Sunday.

GetOverTheBar

It was first 'real' game of the season - I wouldn't be getting too worried about a loss in Kerry, it can happen any team this time of year, with the new rules etc....Look at Dublin and then the weather was crap at weekend too all over ireland. The Mayo / Roscommon game was a shocker for example.

Maybe if Tyrone don't get the win on Sunday v Mayo you can start to be critical because they'll be in Championship mode to survive D1 straight away but it's all very early.

The low scores is a worry, but again, reserve judgement until after this weekend. That will be two games against teams I'd consider on the same level.

Eastie

in other news, the hurlers got off to a good start! if anyone cares..

trailer

Hold on. We need a bogey man and Morgan has fulfilled this role excellently in the past. There is no need to overlook him this time.

southtyronegael

I prefer Mickey harte as bogeyman, really looks the part too.

TyroneOnlooker

was just wondering when I seen Ronan McNamee wheeled out yesterday morning for the media engagements, does he work or what's the story? Is he one of our 'full time athletes' or does he farm or do something flexible like that where he can get away? Wouldn't be too many jobs you could be away all weekend and then not work monday morning either.

I know he was playing for UUJ a season or two ago and even at that stage he would have been an old enough student, he must be 27/28 at this stage. Anyone any idea what he does?

Interesting interview in Irish News last week with Caroline O'Hanlon the Armagh ladies player and international netballer. She's a doctor and works 3 days a week allowing her to keep up her sport commitments. We're bound to have a few like that as well. they couldn't all be students!

Scoring Zone

Thought I blamed defeat on the lack of continuity of the sigerson season and the lack of basic skills execution etc.

But highlighted Morgan, because it is a number of times against top opposition that he has made the same error over and over again and would prefer him to concentrate on the basics like all the best keepers - not soloing out round the 45 or taking frees

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Scoring Zone on January 29, 2019, 02:34:50 PM

Thought I blamed defeat on the lack of continuity of the sigerson season and the lack of basic skills execution etc.

But highlighted Morgan, because it is a number of times against top opposition that he has made the same error over and over again and would prefer him to concentrate on the basics like all the best keepers - not soloing out round the 45 or taking frees

You can blame the man for the solo'ing out, if that's not for you, that's fine - it's your opinion but sooner or later a GAA team will essentially adopt a 'last man back' approach (provided the inside mark does not come in fully). I like a goalkeeper coming out, creating overlaps and moving the play on if he's both physically and mentally able. Morgan is an outfield player at club level, indeed was extremely impressive in the Club Championship. Why not? If it gives Tyrone something over an opposition team in the summer why not continue the experiment.

The free kick thing, blame Mickey Harte. It's not like Morgan calls the shots. Why can Tyrone not produce forward/midfielder/defender able to hit a 45? I'm not keen on him taking 45s myself but sure what can he do, it's the manager sends him up to take them. Can one of the outfield players not take it upon themselves to work a quick 45 or even have a go at it themselves? Hardly worth blaming a man who's being sent up to fail by the manager for missing kicks.