Portrush gets the Open

Started by stew, October 21, 2015, 12:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Primarily associated with the ROI footie team, many of who's fans actively dislike the NI football team and want to see them lose.

gallsman

Hahaha, the absolute state of anyone who'd let themselves get upset by that.

Nice try btw on the suggestion that the thinking would be "I associate that chant with the RoI team, and loads of the RoI fans really dislike the NI football team, so f**k them and f**k Lowry" rather than just "I associate that chant with the RoI team, so these lads are obviously Irish. f**k these Irish bastards".

nrico2006

Hopefully for some on here Lowry wins tomorrow because if he loses a lead like this he must be a major choker.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

michaelg

Quote from: gallsman on July 20, 2019, 10:05:04 PM

Nice try btw on the suggestion that the thinking would be "I associate that chant with the RoI team, and loads of the RoI fans really dislike the NI football team, so f**k them and f**k Lowry" rather than just "I associate that chant with the RoI team, so these lads are obviously Irish. f**k these Irish b**tards".
Have you been watching the tele today?

JimStynes

Only a matter of time before this thread descended into that sort of shite. Like most other threads on here ffs.

gallsman

Quote from: michaelg on July 20, 2019, 10:12:58 PM

Nice try btw on the suggestion that the thinking would be "I associate that chant with the RoI team, and loads of the RoI fans really dislike the NI football team, so f**k them and f**k Lowry" rather than just "I associate that chant with the RoI team, so these lads are obviously Irish. f**k these Irish b**tards".

No, I haven't. I pulled the below out of my f**king hole.  ::)

Quote from: gallsman on July 20, 2019, 09:44:07 PM
Sure you've lads on this board who wouldn't say anything good about McIlroy because he doesn't conform to their idea of what he should be. Vast majority of crowd have been absolutely roaring Lowry on. There'll always be a couple of gobshites wherever you go.

You're the one bringing up the laughable suggestion that it might be in some way understandable for people up there to be getting upset by chants of olé olé olé.

My point is that the idea of anyone up in Portrush's thought process goes football chant > Irish football team > Irish football fans > they hate NI > I'm upset rather than simply begrudging the Irishman is nonsense.

michaelg

Quote from: gallsman on July 20, 2019, 10:21:55 PM

Sure you've lads on this board who wouldn't say anything good about McIlroy because he doesn't conform to their idea of what he should be. Vast majority of crowd have been absolutely roaring Lowry on. There'll always be a couple of gobshites wherever you go.

You're the one bringing up the laughable suggestion that it might be in some way understandable for people up there to be getting upset by chants of olé olé olé.

My point is that the idea of anyone up in Portrush's thought process goes football chant > Irish football team > Irish football fans > they hate NI > I'm upset rather than simply begrudging the Irishman is nonsense.
As you said, the vast majority of fans are roaring Lowry on.  Was simply suggesting why one or two might be non-plussed.  Doesn't look like there are too many who are "simply begrudging the Irishman".

BennyCake

What odds Lowry before play started?

Rois

It was a tiny minority, but I watched two separate groups of fellas around me. They clapped Westwood, Rose (as did I) but kept quiet with their hands in their pockets when Lowry birdied. There were no "ole"s being sung so can't use that excuse. Those came later. I don't usually comment on this stuff, but the insecurity of these specific people saddened me.

Anyway, a super day, and many of the visitors really seem to be enjoying it. A guy from NZ told me he wanted to move here!

Milltown Row2

Lowry was minimum 40/1

Backed him the other day at 10's, my initial picks are still hanging about
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Balls. Was going to put money on him

mrdeeds

An Watcher

Have £1 on lowry at 66/1 on wed

red hander

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 20, 2019, 11:02:46 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 20, 2019, 07:42:32 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 20, 2019, 07:23:25 PM
Shane shooting the lights out here with the crowd pulling him along hopefully he can do it the weather being bad tomorrow should make it a great watch.

Followed him yesterday and the atmosphere was fantastic.

Great days craic yesterday a phenomenal event organised with military precision hopefully it comes back again!
Get a few more in before the UI?
The Open Championship as far as I known is not limited by rule that it can only be held in the UK, more that it is just a convention. The tournament organisers have even been insistent on discouraging journalists and broadcasters from calling it "The British Open", preferring just "The Open".

Well, Portrush isn't in Britain. That's a factual, inarguable reality

red hander

Quote from: michaelg on July 20, 2019, 10:31:34 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 20, 2019, 10:21:55 PM

As you said, the vast majority of fans are roaring Lowry on.  Was simply suggesting why one or two might be non-plussed.  Doesn't look like there are too many who are "simply begrudging the Irishman".

Look up the dictionary definition of words before using them 're.. Non-plussed