Cookstown Incident

Started by oakleaflad, March 18, 2019, 12:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Looks like a combination of errors/shortfalls have led to this. Terrible.

And if there was 400 outside the place thats shocking numbers....but how do ye control this if bus loads just turn up? Ticket only?

NAG1

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 19, 2019, 03:43:37 PM

And if there was 400 outside the place thats shocking numbers....but how do ye control this if bus loads just turn up? Ticket only?

The buses are ticket only with prepaid entry to the Disco with the bus coordinator/ operator.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: TabClear on March 19, 2019, 10:24:23 AM
Terrible tragedy. Cannot even begin to imagine what the families are going through.

Like a lot of people on here Cookstown would have been a regular location for me back in the late nineties although strangely enough never to the Greenvale. Glenavon/Clubland were the normal destinations.

The Pink Pussycat. Those were the days.

There used to be buses to good venues back in my day. The Arena used to be a regular haunt of ours thanks to the two buses they ran from Lurgan. I used to bump into people I worked with in Belfast, they'd get a bus down from the Donegal Rd. And there were times when some of us would take matters into their own hands and organise buses to the likes of the Carrickdale. I'd rather have young ones getting buses to these places than ripping and tearing around the country in cars, plus the bus was always good crack and was as much a part of the night as the club itself.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: NAG1 on March 19, 2019, 03:46:44 PM

The buses are ticket only with prepaid entry to the Disco with the bus coordinator/ operator.

Makes sense. 400odd outside is some crowd to be chancin  their arms

Maiden1

2 at a time and having a pull cord type thing that left a space to one side that someone could duck under and turn back for any reason. It's easy to be wise after the event but I'm sure every nightclub in Ireland will be reviewing how they manage crowds.

http://www.workingwithcrowds.com/
There are no proofs, only opinions.

general_lee

Two men arrested on suspicion of corporate manslaughter

Square Ball

What is corporate manslaughter?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

David McKeown

Quote from: Square Ball on March 19, 2019, 06:03:10 PM

Is the offence when an organisation has grossly breached their duty of care resulting in the death of an individual or individuals.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Tony Baloney

Not surprised. Didn't think it would happen as quickly, so I would assume the cctv is fairly damning on top of witness accounts.

David McKeown

I'm surprised it was necessary to arrest anyone I would have thought these matters could have been handled by voluntary interviews. Particularly given the charge.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: David McKeown on March 19, 2019, 07:25:33 PM
I'm surprised it was necessary to arrest anyone I would have thought these matters could have been handled by voluntary interviews. Particularly given the charge.

Political and social pressure to be seen to be doing something.  Surely a better way would be to allow the families to have their time and carry out a thorough investigation and then make the arrests.  Only my opinion of course but an arrest seems a wee bit like a knee-jerk reaction.

quit yo jibbajabba

cornerback

Heard on the radio earlier that it was corporate manslaughter but anything I've read since says manslaughter.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: David McKeown on March 19, 2019, 06:35:25 PM

Is the offence when an organisation has grossly breached their duty of care resulting in the death of an individual or individuals.

Does this mean the organisation gets the penalty rather that the individuals/corporate officers?

David McKeown

Quote from: Ball Hopper on March 19, 2019, 07:47:42 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 19, 2019, 06:35:25 PM

Does this mean the organisation gets the penalty rather that the individuals/corporate officers?

It's a little complicated and I'm not on expert on the subject but under that charge yes however it's often charged alongside breaches of health and safety regulations and depending on the corporate structure and the nature of the charge it's not impossible for individuals to be prosecuted although I understand it is rare.