Jim McGuiness - 10 Years On

Started by GetOverTheBar, January 15, 2021, 01:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 10, 2021, 09:03:30 PM
I am not sure you are correct there. He had a knee injury from what I can find on google.I don't recall him being taken out and don't remember any outcry about it.

Lacey was taken out in the first half.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

reillycavan

Quote from: Angelo on February 10, 2021, 09:26:21 PM
I am not sure you are correct there. He had a knee injury from what I can find on google.I don't recall him being taken out and don't remember any outcry about it.

Was in second half just after half time

J70

Quote from: reillycavan on February 10, 2021, 08:54:33 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2021, 08:43:58 PM
Quote from: reillycavan on February 10, 2021, 06:38:46 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on January 15, 2021, 07:00:33 PM
If I remember correctly Joe McMahon was having a great game that day. Think he was marking Murphy. His loss was the losing of that game for tyrone. Everything Jimmy did seemed to come off in those days

John Doyle v Kildare 2011 and Bryan Sheehan v Kerry 2012 were taken out of game. Both prominent freetaker though the Dubs taking out Karl Lacey was game changer in 2011.

That's strange given that Johnny Doyle was booked late in extra time that day for grabbing Ryan Bradley by the ankles to stop a Donegal break.

Also strange that, if I remember correctly, the man who had collided with Doyle early in the game was Michael Hegarty, about as far from a dirty player as I've ever seen play.

Doyle didnt score in game. Was taken off and came back in extra time.  McGuinness spoke in the media prior saying Donegal players were been targeted 🤣🤣🤣

The collision between Hegarty and Doyle happened three seconds into the game. Doyle played the entire normal time and was reintroduced in extra time. He took two frees within three minutes of the collision.

"Taken out of the game" me arse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWlABqUppF0

Angelo

Quote from: reillycavan on February 10, 2021, 10:30:05 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 10, 2021, 09:26:21 PM

Was in second half just after half time

Possibly I vaguely recall that came but Lacey being deliberately taken out was something I remember from it as it swung the game. Lacey is probably the best defender of the past 20 years for me and his influence on that Donegal team was enormous.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

reillycavan

Quote from: J70 on February 11, 2021, 01:52:51 PM
If I remember correctly Joe McMahon was having a great game that day. Think he was marking Murphy. His loss was the losing of that game for tyrone. Everything Jimmy did seemed to come off in those days

John Doyle v Kildare 2011 and Bryan Sheehan v Kerry 2012 were taken out of game. Both prominent freetaker though the Dubs taking out Karl Lacey was game changer in 2011.

That's strange given that Johnny Doyle was booked late in extra time that day for grabbing Ryan Bradley by the ankles to stop a Donegal break.

Also strange that, if I remember correctly, the man who had collided with Doyle early in the game was Michael Hegarty, about as far from a dirty player as I've ever seen play.

Doyle didnt score in game. Was taken off and came back in extra time.  McGuinness spoke in the media prior saying Donegal players were been targeted 🤣🤣🤣

The collision between Hegarty and Doyle happened three seconds into the game. Doyle played the entire normal time and was reintroduced in extra time. He took two frees within three minutes of the collision.

Kicked both wide too which he kick in his sleep. Eoghan Flaherty took over the frees. Doyle got dead leg.

J70

Quote from: reillycavan on February 11, 2021, 03:32:12 PM

Kicked both wide too which he kick in his sleep. Eoghan Flaherty took over the frees. Doyle got dead leg.

All right, I'm convinced.

Precision-targeting of thigh muscles by McGuinness using deep-cover players who've never been booked in their lives.

StephenC

Quote from: J70 on February 11, 2021, 04:13:02 PM
Quote from: reillycavan on February 11, 2021, 03:32:12 PM

All right, I'm convinced.

Precision-targeting of thigh muscles by McGuinness using deep-cover players who've never been booked in their lives.

;D ;D ;D Brilliant

From the Bunker

Charlotte Independence was a major disaster for McGuinness. 1 win 6 draws and 7 losses in 14 matches.

In the next 20 matches Charlotte finished with 6 wins 3 draws and 7 losses.

You'd have to imagine that stint shattered his confidence and destroyed his Association football CV.

Is Jim still living in the States?

JimStynes

What's Jim at now? On reflection he totally lost the run of himself. Did well to get that role with Celtic but then wanted to get more into a coaching role for ground ball. Some ego on him to think he could go in at professional level soccer coaching having never played himself. He'd have been safer taking on a county role or sticking with the line of work he was employed for at Celtic.

From the Bunker

Quote from: JimStynes on February 27, 2021, 10:38:10 AM
What's Jim at now? On reflection he totally lost the run of himself. Did well to get that role with Celtic but then wanted to get more into a coaching role for ground ball. Some ego on him to think he could go in at professional level soccer coaching having never played himself. He'd have been safer taking on a county role or sticking with the line of work he was employed for at Celtic.

Trying is the first step to failure. You don't try you don't fail. And you have to admire McGunness he has always tried. Always took on a new challenge. Had success, had failure. Not easy to do as you are heading toward your 50's and have a wife and young family.  Try it some time.

macker15

Probably waiting on Ollie Horgan to retire from Finn Harps job.  Was one dimensional with his tactics.  Out thought  by worse Kerry manager Eamon Fitzmaurice in 2014.

JimStynes

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 27, 2021, 12:54:46 PM

Trying is the first step to failure. You don't try you don't fail. And you have to admire McGunness he has always tried. Always took on a new challenge. Had success, had failure. Not easy to do as you are heading toward your 50's and have a wife and young family.  Try it some time.

I do admire him for giving it a go. But he's ruined his legacy a little by doing that. Great life experiences all the same. Not too many can say they've managed in Ireland, Scotland,  China and USA. I hope he comes back to GAA and sticks to what he knows and what he is good at.

skeog

Jim has a good few bob from his travels large family can see him back in Gaa management in the future.

GetOverTheBar

He struck when the iron was hot, made some money, had some life experiences (possibly denied by his GAA playing days?).

I think you'll see him back soon, when Dublin show signs of slowing down he'll be cute enough to put his name forward.

rosnarun

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 01, 2021, 10:35:57 AM

He struck when the iron was hot, made some money, had some life experiences (possibly denied by his GAA playing days?).

I think you'll see him back soon, when Dublin show signs of slowing down he'll be cute enough to put his name forward.
Mcguinness record since Donegals win has very much Shown he was right person right place right time . He spotted that an all Ireland could be won by destroying the game and he go his Win but that a one off trick and people were on to him straight away  and the shameful 2013 exit is proof of that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere