Kildare v Galway. Super 8s Round 2. 22 July 2pm #newbridgeornowhere

Started by Dinny Breen, July 16, 2018, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 23, 2018, 07:37:16 PM
Just listened to the GAA Hour on the drive home there and was surprised to hear that they were pretty much in agreement that Galway should rest players against Monaghan with an All-Ireland semi-final the following weekend. Their logic being that they are in the semi-finals already and shouldn't be bothered about avoiding Dublin as you're going to have to play them in either the semis or final anyway. Why risk all your top players in what is sure to be a hard hitting physical game against Monaghan with such a quick turnaround after. They compared it to having a league game with your club the weekend before a big championship match. Worst case scenario is Galway play their best side, lose the game to Monaghan anyway, pick up a few knocks and still have to face the Dubs who will likely have a low intensity glorified training session with Roscommon.

I like the podcast but they really like getting carried away, earlier on in the year Parkinson was slating Galway week in week out but then changed his mind when he actually went to watch them live. I can understand their logic that it might be easier to beat them in a semi than in a final but I think its highly unlikely that Galway can beat them this year; So IF Galway could get to a final the experience from that would be invaluable going forward. Galway have a brilliant age profile, of the starters only Bradshaw is the wrong side of 30 and like Armstrong he'll another year left in him as they certainly won't be burnt out.

I see Cooke scored a point with his left on Sunday, Dublin are the only team who can match Galway in this department; Galway have so many players capable of scoring with either foot.

An Fhairche Abu

Cooke's shot with his weaker foot for that point was far more composed than the two efforts with this right in the 2nd half, one of them was a wild and terrible miss in the middle of a stretch of about 4/5 bad wides when Galway were 4 points up and should have put the game to bed.
Our conversion rates from shots taken has not been good enough in the first two Super 8 rounds, this hasn't been an issue yet but I can't imagine that Galway will get away with it if the current trend extends into the semi final match.
Brannigan does a ton of work around the pitch and offers huge pace but his excellent scoring stats from the league are starting to look very much like a total outlier in terms of what you can expect from him during an average match. I'm not a fan of Lavelle taking 45's either, he's no Beggan. May as well leave Shane Walsh at them if he is now the designated free taker whether it's left or right.

Manning18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 24, 2018, 02:44:08 PM
Cooke's shot with his weaker foot for that point was far more composed than the two efforts with this right in the 2nd half, one of them was a wild and terrible miss in the middle of a stretch of about 4/5 bad wides when Galway were 4 points up and should have put the game to bed.
Our conversion rates from shots taken has not been good enough in the first two Super 8 rounds, this hasn't been an issue yet but I can't imagine that Galway will get away with it if the current trend extends into the semi final match.
Brannigan does a ton of work around the pitch and offers huge pace but his excellent scoring stats from the league are starting to look very much like a total outlier in terms of what you can expect from him during an average match. I'm not a fan of Lavelle taking 45's either, he's no Beggan. May as well leave Shane Walsh at them if he is now the designated free taker whether it's left or right.

Yeah that 45 was a bit ridiculous. there were points floating over from around the 45 all day, it was well within Walsh's range as a free taker. Cooke also has no problem throwing 45's over in club games. Armstrong wasnt on, but in future its well within his range also. To bring up Lavelle who is essentially punting the ball towards the goal and hoping to be accurate is silly

cornetto

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2018, 09:59:23 PM
Just listened to the GAA Hour on the drive home there and was surprised to hear that they were pretty much in agreement that Galway should rest players against Monaghan with an All-Ireland semi-final the following weekend. Their logic being that they are in the semi-finals already and shouldn't be bothered about avoiding Dublin as you're going to have to play them in either the semis or final anyway. Why risk all your top players in what is sure to be a hard hitting physical game against Monaghan with such a quick turnaround after. They compared it to having a league game with your club the weekend before a big championship match. Worst case scenario is Galway play their best side, lose the game to Monaghan anyway, pick up a few knocks and still have to face the Dubs who will likely have a low intensity glorified training session with Roscommon.

You're going to get well bet no matter how rested or not rested Dublin are. The only question left is if you'll last long enough to meet them, honestly.

Maybe roscommon can show us how to beat the dubs????

Syferus

Quote from: cornetto on July 24, 2018, 06:09:56 PM

You're going to get well bet no matter how rested or not rested Dublin are. The only question left is if you'll last long enough to meet them, honestly.

The irony is Roscommon probably have the best chance of any team since 2014 of beating Dublin in the championship because they're already through as group winners and have an AISF coming up the following weekend so they're likely to make a raft of changes. We coped well enough with the Dublin B team up in Carrick two years ago for what it's worth.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Pocaide

Thought Tom Flynn might have got a look in for man of the match. He caught some ball in midfield and won a good amount of frees as well.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 24, 2018, 07:29:36 PM
Quote from: cornetto on July 24, 2018, 06:09:56 PM

The irony is Roscommon probably have the best chance of any team since 2014 of beating Dublin in the championship because they're already through as group winners and have an AISF coming up the following weekend so they're likely to make a raft of changes. We coped well enough with the Dublin B team up in Carrick two years ago for what it's worth.
That sounds like a Hong Kong website that knows nothing about GAA.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Duine Eile

What's that saying, its better to be talked about than not talked about at all?  ::) I see all this sympathy coming from all sides about the treatment Flynn was at the end of and it was a harsh red he received, not much mention of the treatment Damien Comer and Ian Burke received but they managed to last 70+ minutes without getting a red even though I'm sure they were frustrated like Flynn was. No outcry about the 2 cowardly punches on Adrian Varley by David Slattery on the final whistle either.   

mup

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 26, 2018, 05:31:51 PM
What's that saying, its better to be talked about than not talked about at all?  ::) I see all this sympathy coming from all sides about the treatment Flynn was at the end of and it was a harsh red he received, not much mention of the treatment Damien Comer and Ian Burke received but they managed to last 70+ minutes without getting a red even though I'm sure they were frustrated like Flynn was. No outcry about the 2 cowardly punches on Adrian Varley by David Slattery on the final whistle either.

You left out the punch at the start of the game. Why was that?

The game is over. Both sides were at it. McKenna and O'Neill out of order.

Duine Eile

Quote from: mup on July 26, 2018, 09:16:45 PM

Because it wasn't a punch, yes Sean Andy grabbed his jersey and there was pushing and shoving but there was no punch

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 26, 2018, 09:18:30 PM
Quote from: mup on July 26, 2018, 09:16:45 PM

Because it wasn't a punch, yes Sean Andy grabbed his jersey and there was pushing and shoving but there was no punch

I seen a punch, it was no haymaker but he definitely landed a left hand. Cribbin didn't fall to the ground like Comer would have. It would be interesting to see the video from above the goal. Plenty of others in the town end were calling for the umpires to take action so I wasn't alone in what I saw.

It doesn't really matter 5 days after the match anyway.

An Fhairche Abu

Dinny Breen

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 26, 2018, 11:20:24 PM
Have Kildare always been such whingers?

Precious Galway supporters can't handle the filth of their team been called out. Snowflakes from the West.
#newbridgeornowhere