Galway v Kerry. Super 8s Round 1. 15 July Croke Park.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 08, 2018, 12:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamboo

Keegan must have a Monaghan mother for SouthDublinBro to be so negative about him.

Gael85

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 15, 2018, 08:46:35 PM
The difference between Meehan and Keegan as pundits is night and day. Meehan came off as knowledgeable and articulate. Keegan clueless and classless.

What did Keegan say?

J70

The difference between Meehan and Keegan as pundits is night and day. Meehan came off as knowledgeable and articulate. Keegan clueless and classless.

How come I knew who wrote this without even looking at the name first?

Gael85

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 15, 2018, 08:52:56 PM

Where does Charlie Redmond come in the scheme of things?  ;D

Charlie is the Dublin version of David Brady  ;)  They both write for that rag too.  ;D

GaillimhIarthair

Poor game, great win!  Was a lot more comprehensive than the final score line suggests as we kicked a heap of wides and bad ones at that, especially in the 1st half.  Wish all the very best to PC, no luck at all this year.  Onwards to Newbridge!

galwayman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 15, 2018, 08:36:10 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on July 15, 2018, 08:24:20 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 15, 2018, 07:21:00 PM
Double leg breeak for Conroy. Between that and being KO'd in the Mayo game he's had no luck this Summer. Had started today's game well too.

Have gone from having four midfielders to being down to the bare bones.

How long is Duggan out for? Is Fiontan O'Curraoin an option? Thought Peter Cooke done very well when came on.

Duggan is out for the Super 8's anyway. They think he might be back if they get past that stage. O'Curraoin not in the squad. Has had a lot of injury problems. Cooke is good alright. Still only a young buck though.
O Curraoin is actually back training with the squad.
Not sure fitness-wise or recovery-wise how he's fixed though

Jayop

Awful news about Conroy, hope he gets back stronger then ever.

I think despite the result Clifford proved he's the real deal not that there was much doubt.

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on July 15, 2018, 10:42:43 PM
The narrative coming out of TSG doesn't reflect the game I watched. "Galway good and 'effective' but Kerry very poor."

Both were poor IMO with Galway slightly better and getting breaks at important times. There really wasn't a pile between them. Sloppy play, lack of penetration and attacking ideas equally from both teams.

There was a big gap between them today.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: hardstation on July 15, 2018, 11:25:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 15, 2018, 11:14:46 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 15, 2018, 10:42:43 PM
The narrative coming out of TSG doesn't reflect the game I watched. "Galway good and 'effective' but Kerry very poor."

Both were poor IMO with Galway slightly better and getting breaks at important times. There really wasn't a pile between them. Sloppy play, lack of penetration and attacking ideas equally from both teams.

There was a big gap between them today.
Nonsense. There was a gap but it was small enough.

Wasn't a good game needless to say but I thought a 3 point margin in the end flattered Kerry considerably. They clawed back 1-1 deep in injury time and the goal should never have stood. Both sides hit too many wides but I thought ours were much worse. We missed some right sitters throughout the game. Both sides can play a lot better than they showed today I think even if the surface was like an ice rink.

That said I would have been delighted with a 1 point win beforehand.

Gael85

If Galway had been more clinical in front of Galway would won by a lot more. Brannigan and Comer were very quiet today.

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on July 15, 2018, 11:39:47 PM
Don't forget they lost a man for a stupid, selfish action with 15 minutes to go and the game still in the balance.

They were already well on their way to shipping a beating by then.

sid waddell

Exellent performance by Galway - not an attractive match to look at, and that was influenced by outside factors such as the inevitably poor attendance and the rain, but they did what they had to do and a three point margin was very flattering to Kerry.

That was the performance Galway had been waiting 17 years for - like Tyrone in 2003, they didn't care how they got it done, only that they got it done, and they were dead right to think like that.

How wrong high profile pundits have been about them this year. Their emergence is brilliant for the game and they should grow masssively from that victory.

Sets it up for an absolutely fascinating second week in that group with the tantalising prospect of Kerry being eliminated in Clones.

cornetto

Well the dust has settled on what was a huge win for galway,the thoughts of "having" to go to Newbridge and get a result would not have sat well.They would prefer to get a result in Newbridge but at least have the cushion of a tough game at home v Monahan.As for yesterday I kept thinking kerry were going to explode to life,but full credit to Galway they chased everything and stopped kerry from playing, which is what they have done to mayo the last couple of years.Going forward it's a huge confidence boost,the loss of Conroy a blow but I believe the belief in themselves and their system will soar, how far it takes them is the big question.

seafoid

This is a real compliment
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/were-a-work-in-progress-kerry-plans-derailed-by-complex-tribes-web-37121909.html
For Fitzmaurice the hope is that the game will bring them on, but patience isn't a virtue back home.
"I keep saying it, that we're a work in progress. We have a lot of changes made. We're trying to go in a direction but when you're doing that, sometimes you're going to get caught with a knock-out and we did today. We just played a team that were a bit further down the line than us, were a bit more streetwise and played better than us."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

It's been a long time since I've seen such an inept Kerry performance. Bar David Clifford every other player lost his individual match up. How good are Galway? Well we don't really know. But they got the job done, despite kicking a barrowfull of wides.
Kerry's defeat really puts them under pressure. They have to go to Clones and get a result. That won't be easy against a team that sets up similar to Galway.

Best wishes to Paul Conroy, hopefully Galway don't miss him too much.