Galway v Kerry. Super 8s Round 1. 15 July Croke Park.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 08, 2018, 12:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

I also feel Kerry will have too much.
Galway will play defensively and try to hang in there for first half, cannot say I blame them.
However, My mind goes back to how Galway struggled to beat a 14 man Mayo team, and had similar issues V Roscommon until last 10 minutes.

I look at the odds sometimes for shits and giggles and to place the odd bet. I was very surprised to see Kerry -2 at 4/5, so were some others as it is now 4/6.

I went back and looked at lineouts from last year, Kerry have six changes in personnel from last years semi-final V Mayo. They are not the finished article, but I cannot see Galway's midfield or backline holding Kerry. They seem to be highly motivated and I cannot see Galway getting closer than 5-6 pts.

Conroy very talented but has been so so in Croke Park and the lack of a back up for their midfield will hurt.

blanketattack

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 13, 2018, 10:33:51 AM
Didn't realise Kerry had 5 of last years u21 teams who played against Galway start against Cork and thats without mentioning Clifford.

Interview with Comer here;

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-just-lost-interest-how-galway-star-comer-almost-slipped-through-the-intercounty-net-37112980.html

How many of that Galway team start or are likely to come on as sub?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: blanketattack on July 14, 2018, 01:43:24 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 13, 2018, 10:33:51 AM
Didn't realise Kerry had 5 of last years u21 teams who played against Galway start against Cork and thats without mentioning Clifford.

Interview with Comer here;

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-just-lost-interest-how-galway-star-comer-almost-slipped-through-the-intercounty-net-37112980.html

How many of that Galway team start or are likely to come on as sub?

From the U-21 game last year?

Sean Andy and Sean Kelly will start. Cooke might start. Daly on the bench. Not sure if Molloy is still on the panel. He was earlier in the Summer anyway.

cornetto

Latest news seems to suggest Michael Daly will start his first ch/ship game of the year,Barry Mc Hugh the man to lose out,a little bit more pressure on Shane Walsh as he will be taking any frees.Seems to suggest a more attacking formation as Daly is not the best at tracking back and defending.

An Fhairche Abu

Big call if that's true but it's go hard or go home at this stage, talent wise Daly has it but will need to demonstrate it now on the big stage.

galwayman

You'd be a small bit worried about the Free taking if that's the case.
In particular from long range.
Shane Walsh will take from both sides now it would appear.
I think McHugh is worth another go for his frees alone.
As long as we don't allo him to be isolated in a one on one situation defensively  that is

GalwayBayBoy

Lavelle
Kyne
Sean Andy
Wynne
Sweeney
Bradshaw
Heaney
Conroy
Flynn
Brannigan
McHugh
Kelly
Burke
Comer
Walsh

No Kerin again. That is not good news at all.

An Fhairche Abu

GaillimhIarthair

Yeah, Kerin is a very big loss if not fit, we just don't have adequate defensive cover at all.  Best of luck to Wynne, hope he has a stormer!

cornetto

Just bear in mind that team was sent in for match programme last wed/thu.

galwayman

Quote from: cornetto on July 14, 2018, 08:33:04 PM
Just bear in mind that team was sent in for match programme last wed/thu.
I don't believe that's the team that will line out.
That's just the Connacht final team put in for the programme I would say.
Daly for McHugh & Kerin for Wynne the 2 likely changes.

An Fhairche Abu

Hopefully Kerin lines out, no offence to Wynne but Kerin is one of our best players, need him out there and playing well.

cornetto

Going on today's result involving roscommon,we could be in for a tough afternoon.
Was just looking back at the Galway v mayo match Jesus mayo missed a lot of chances.i know it was cagey that no one wanted to lose.
The game against roscommon Galway looked in trouble but did manage to turn it around,I'm just a bit fearful that we beat a poor team.Hopefully Ross are better than they showed today and Galway give a good account of themselves.

From the Bunker

Spillane talks up how good the Kerry forward line is by showing examples of scores against Cork. Cork?

Cunny Funt

Only 25k at this double header? i see Michael Daly is given a start a bit odd when you consider he played little football this year.