Galway football strength&conditioning

Started by cornetto, July 23, 2016, 06:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornetto

An interesting article from dec 2015
Can touch of All Blacks magic revive Galway footballers?   
Tuesday, December 29, 2015Darragh Small

Galway manager Kevin Walsh is hopeful a trainer who played a part in the All Blacks winning the World Cup will provide the Tribesmen with an edge as they bid for glory in 2016.

New Zealander Greg Muller is charged with knocking Galway into shape as they try to end Mayo's five-year dominance in Connacht.

He provided the All Blacks, through his company Pure Athlete, with special bath salts which they used in their recovery between games on their way to retaining the World Cup.

And Muller, who has previously been involved with the New Zealand Elite Forces and who also played a major part in the Auckland Blues Super Rugby winning season in 2003, is hoping to use his vast sporting experience to help Galway next year.

He worked with Connacht Rugby after coming to Ireland and was brought on board last season by Walsh as Galway try to rediscover former glories.

He was chuffed about helping his native country retain the Webb Ellis Cup in October.

"The All Blacks prefer to not over-train but to recover more. They started using our salts. And the fitness trainer rang me and said we need some more, these guys love this stuff," said Muller.

In his second season as the athletic performance coach with the county, the Auckland native is keen to impose his winning philosophy on a team that has not won the Connacht championship since 2008.

And he insists the structures can be put in place to allow Galway to prosper at senior level.

"Once we get these things in place, we could get through and win Connacht titles and really start contesting at All-Ireland level in the next one or two years but in reality, it's probably more of a three to five-year plan.

"They need to hold people in place to allow those fruits to ripen, and that's a huge challenge," he said.

There were 16 All Blacks in the Blues squad that he trained and it was there that he first began to impose his military-esque elite mindset into the sporting stratosphere.

"The words 'elite' and 'world class' are used a lot these days but in reality there are very few that operate at that level.

What I learned in the military is they function with optimum precision, planning and commitment.

They don't accept people putting in mediocre efforts.

"When I started with the Blues, I brought that mindset into their systems. And when I came to Galway I did likewise.

"We have made a lot of changes with Galway. I learned a lot last season just seeing how a GAA team like Galway works.

"Out of season, we put in a lot of work putting new systems in place, and to see the fruits of that, it could take three or four years."

Kurtz

They still have to play the big boys so we will decide after that game.

Syferus

Wasn't this the same lad who had Sligo players hauling tires up sand hills in Strandhill?

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2016, 07:48:06 PM
Wasn't this the same lad who had Sligo players hauling tires up sand hills in Strandhill?
I don't think Muller had any involvement with Sligo during Kevin Walshs tenure.

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on July 23, 2016, 07:57:01 PM

I meant Walsh himself. He was ridiculed for being anything but good on the S&C front.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on July 24, 2016, 02:52:23 AM

I meant Walsh himself. He was ridiculed for being anything but good on the S&C front.

I think you will find most managers have S&C experts in their backroom teams these days because that area is not their expertise.

Roscommon looked a team devoid of any physical presence and pace yesterday so I think you should be much more concerned with your own management set up in this regard rather than digging a hole any deeper re Kevin Walsh.

Galway look fit and very well organised this year, finally capitalising on recent underage success. Walsh has done a great job and is a very shrewd manager.

PW Nally

Ridicule you say....

thebackbar1

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 09:38:21 AM

I think you will find most managers have S&C experts in their backroom teams these days because that area is not their expertise.

Roscommon looked a team devoid of any physical presence and pace yesterday so I think you should be much more concerned with your own management set up in this regard rather than digging a hole any deeper re Kevin Walsh.

Galway look fit and very well organised this year, finally capitalising on recent underage success. Walsh has done a great job and is a very shrewd manager.
Ably  assisted by his selectors Brian Silke and Sean Conlon (trainer)

manfromdelmonte

They have a nice setup in the Galway football training centre in Loughgeorge

thebackbar1

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 24, 2016, 10:29:47 AM

ill rephrase that ... They have a nice setup in the Galway training center in Loughgeorge.

The facility was closed during the winter due to overuse, it's now accommodating the hurlers too ...

An Fhairche Abu

Loughgeorge was build for the footballers, it was never intended to accommodate both county squads.
In contrast, Mountain South is one of the biggest disasters ever, some legacy that the old hurling board have left the county.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 24, 2016, 11:48:05 AM
Loughgeorge was build for the footballers, it was never intended to accommodate both county squads.
In contrast, Mountain South is one of the biggest disasters ever, some legacy that the old hurling board have left the county.
....... and debt! 😡

Maroon Manc

Galway county board appear to be doing a good job of reducing the debt.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: thebackbar1 on July 24, 2016, 11:30:47 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 24, 2016, 10:29:47 AM

ill rephrase that ... They have a nice setup in the Galway training center in Loughgeorge.

The facility was closed during the winter due to overuse, it's now accommodating the hurlers too ...
The hurlers have their own patch of farmland that was overpaid for by the county board at the height of the boom.
No sympathy for them.

thebackbar1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 24, 2016, 12:47:05 PM
Galway county board appear to be doing a good job of reducing the debt.
In what way ? my understanding is that Galway gaa is facing Armageddon when full interest & capital repayments begin in 2017

Don't be surprised to see some of those people responsible for mountain south putting their hands up for the county chairman role when it opens up this december