Super 8 or Stupid 8

Started by Croí na hÉireann, February 23, 2017, 03:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you for or against the Super 8 proposal?

Super 8 (For)
7 (16.7%)
Stupid 8 (Against)
35 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 02, 2017, 03:56:05 PM

Rossfan

You'd never be from Ulster BennyCake?  :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

I'm just getting my head round the proposals now. I don't see how this solves anything. It's just a money making scheme.

I've always said, reform the provinces to suit a sporting competition that is eight teams in each province and go a back to a straight knockout with no qualifiers. And play the league alongside it in the early summer. Everyone gets at least 8 games in the good weather and the early part of the year is freed up for clubs.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2017, 09:13:34 PM
You'd never be from Ulster BennyCake?  :o

What does that matter? The current set up is a shambles, anyone from any county can see that.

Rossfan

Ah Benny..... the oul Ulster humour by pass.
Your original piece was No.... No...

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2017, 10:08:44 PM
Ah Benny..... the oul Ulster humour by pass.
Your original piece was No.... No...

Watching too much of Dibley recently ;)

mayoaremagic

As for Dublin, well at the end of the day, they have 1/5 of the population on the island. Why would 1/5 dictate to 4/5 on something that is clearly for the benefit of the entire gaa, when they would only be looking out for themselves? It is a bit like saying well we cant vote for banning drug cheats because the guys juicing up would never go for it!

From the Bunker

Quote from: thejuice on February 23, 2017, 09:29:24 PM
I'm just getting my head round the proposals now. I don't see how this solves anything. It's just a money making scheme.

I've always said, reform the provinces to suit a sporting competition that is eight teams in each province and go a back to a straight knockout with no qualifiers. And play the league alongside it in the early summer. Everyone gets at least 8 games in the good weather and the early part of the year is freed up for clubs.

Yes! If fecking GALWAY can play in the Leinster Championship in Hurling. Why can't you pop Longford and Westmeath into Connacht. This is a pure money racket to get the Dublin Cash cow more games.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 03, 2017, 09:55:35 PM

Yes! If fecking GALWAY can play in the Leinster Championship in Hurling. Why can't you pop Longford and Westmeath into Connacht. This is a pure money racket to get the Dublin Cash cow more games.

Cuz the only thing the GAA has really cared about in the last two decades is protecting their brand in Dublin.

More Dublin matches means more money in their eyes. Rather than be brave and split a county larger than the entire province of Connacht they just want to chase after the bottom line. People have caught on and even Dublin supporters are getting sick of the routine beat downs that make up 85% of their games the last six or seven years.

mayoaremagic

Quote from: Syferus on March 03, 2017, 10:23:20 PM

Cuz the only thing the GAA has really cared about in the last two decades is protecting their brand in Dublin.

More Dublin matches means more money in their eyes. Rather than be brave and split a county larger than the entire province of Connacht they just want to chase after the bottom line. People have caught on and even Dublin supporters are getting sick of the routine beat downs that make up 85% of their games the last six or seven years.

In fairness, with 8 extra games, it wouldn't kill the gaa to put Dublin's neutral game in an actual neutral venue. Considering it is now effectively 3 quarter finals instead of one, it is seriously doubtful that they would have a full house for it anyway... Say if Dublin won their first two games for example, the third one would be a dead rubber..

From the Bunker

That's it Sy! There is nothing brave in this super 8. It's a SKY TV solution to a amateur ethics game. The GAA want to butter their bread on both sides. They have created and creating a Monster in Dublin GAA. I can understand Dublin fans being defensive of their County. They are proud of their achievements and the work gone into getting where they are. And rightly so, they had a lot of lean years.

Dublin for years sleepwalked through the Championship. The GAA revamped croker in the Noughties, Needed someone keep it running. The GAA invested in Dublin and the rest is history. The GAA need Dublin. We all know that. But it also needs the other members of the GAA family. Super 8 ignores almost all (If not all of the lesser) members!

The GAA came up with a solution to satisfy SKY TV and Croke Park. I suppose there are pressures from both entities to keep the money coming in.

Ball Hopper

One would think a Super 8 would be more suitable for the hurling with a provincial champ heading each group and the losing provincial finalist in the group opposite to the team that beat them.  Two places in each group up for grabs via two rounds of qualifiers.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Ball Hopper on March 04, 2017, 12:45:54 AM
One would think a Super 8 would be more suitable for the hurling with a provincial champ heading each group and the losing provincial finalist in the group opposite to the team that beat them.  Two places in each group up for grabs via two rounds of qualifiers.
Or why not toss a coin between Tipp and Kilkenny 8 years out of 10
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 04, 2017, 12:27:45 AM

That's it Sy! There is nothing brave in this super 8. It's a SKY TV solution to a amateur ethics game. The GAA want to butter their bread on both sides. They have created and creating a Monster in Dublin GAA. I can understand Dublin fans being defensive of their County. They are proud of their achievements and the work gone into getting where they are. And rightly so, they had a lot of lean years.

Dublin for years sleepwalked through the Championship. The GAA revamped croker in the Noughties, Needed someone keep it running. The GAA invested in Dublin and the rest is history. The GAA need Dublin. We all know that. But it also needs the other members of the GAA family. Super 8 ignores almost all (If not all of the lesser) members!

The GAA came up with a solution to satisfy SKY TV and Croke Park. I suppose there are pressures from both entities to keep the money coming in.

Jesus wept, give me patience!! Lads, do you not see any irony in hammering the current proposal and then offering an alternative that is not only hugely flawed and would do little more than the current proposal but crucially HAS NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER OF GETTING PASSED IN CONGRESS. The whole premise of the super 8's is that the bloody provincial championships had to be kept.

You boys are basically criticising something that's not perfect but does have merit and either offering nothing as a replacement or unrealistic pie in the sky stuff.

Esmarelda

This thread should have been pulled at the first post. The question isn't even accurate, which is some achievement. Then we see lads wanting to juts put some counties in other provinces. What percentage would've voted that in do you think?

Syferus

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 04, 2017, 12:16:28 PM
This thread should have been pulled at the first post. The question isn't even accurate, which is some achievement. Then we see lads wanting to juts put some counties in other provinces. What percentage would've voted that in do you think?

The percentage that vote for these proposals depends on (a) how by the balls a CB is in debt and (b) wanting to keep Grantasaurus Rex in Jones' Road happy.

Because change goddamn well doesn't happen in the GAA because a democratic majority of members support it..