Tipperary v Sligo Semple Staduim 3PM throw in Saturday 11th July

Started by SLIGONIAN, July 05, 2009, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Tough draw, seen tipp first hand against down and looked impressive.

We are missing Harrison, no CHB, CHF or FF can we solve these issues for the next day. :-\

Id say it will be in Thurles, Id say a decent Sligo support will be there. Good draw for both teams and is a 50/50 game with tipp at home favourites.

what i said after div3 final:
Congrats to Tipp Aswell. Some very good young players, no3, 6, 10, 9, 13 and 15 all impressed me. But div3 is shite too by the looks of things so we'll wont be far away from top next yr.

Tipp played 2 man ff line, they havent the ruthlessness of galway no one the standard of meehan to worry about but are better balanced than us. Physical enough side to, I remember theyre corner backs being weak and slow, if we select coen and kelly we will do damage, there FB is good and held there line togther.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

This is not a good draw for us. Would have fancied us more against some of the "bigger" names. Tipp will be hard beaten on their own patch. Hopefully its in Thurles.

baoithe

Looks like we'll be chatting about this one amongst ourselves!

Not a good draw and would have much preferred if it was at home. Harrison is a big loss and I would imagine Ewing will go into the Corner. After that McGovern should get his place and then perhaps Phillips at CHB?

Coen has certainly staked a claim for a starting place the next day but one wonders will the management be will to take a risk in throwing him in from the start. Will Sweeney or Davey start? Lots of questions.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: baoithe on July 06, 2009, 08:50:50 AM
Looks like we'll be chatting about this one amongst ourselves!

Not a good draw and would have much preferred if it was at home. Harrison is a big loss and I would imagine Ewing will go into the Corner. After that McGovern should get his place and then perhaps Phillips at CHB?

Coen has certainly staked a claim for a starting place the next day but one wonders will the management be will to take a risk in throwing him in from the start. Will Sweeney or Davey start? Lots of questions.

In my mind its not a risk starting Coen, its well known now that Marren was injured the last day and how the management picked him I will never know, the lad getting injection for 2 weeks is unfair on amateur player, i admire his commitment thiough. 2 corner backs were slow for Tipp and were not tall. Id be worried about ewing on the 2 man ff line for tipp, theyre good.

CHB for tipp is good, tall strong and fast and works hard, brehony or costello could be in trouble especially the latter.

McGovern will start for sure. Try him CHB?

Id go with Davey, in my mind he'll be rightly pissed off after the last day and will hopefully lift his performance. Sweeney the enigma, dont have a clue about him anymore, pissed off at his inconsistency. Gaughan is off form so not sure about him.

Should Costello start? A question alot of Sligofans are asking albeit not on here. Have alot of doubts about him at this level at this time of year. Thurles wont suit him either, big pitch, fast pace.

Greene
Ewing McGuire Donovan
McNamara McGovern J Davey
Mullen Taylor
Davey Brehony O Hara
Coen McPartland Kelly

Something like that if all fit is what Id go for?? Id have a fit McPartland in ahead of sweeney or costello after the last day. I am open to change on that though. I no clue on how anyones training etc... so go easy on me, just suggestions

magpie seanie

I'd go for:

Greene
Ewing  Maguire  Donovan 
McGovern  Phillips  J. Davey 
Mullen   Taylor 
Gaughan  Costello  O'Hara 
Coen   Marren/Breheny  Kelly

Only play Marren if 100% fit. If not play Breheny and let him drift out with Gaughan drifting in for ball over the top. It doesn't matter if he is off form, he is still a far better player than Seán Davey. Anyone who thinks Costello is not worth his place hasn't a clue about football. I'd like some of these people who think he is slow to have a race with him, they'd get a fair surprise.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 06, 2009, 10:57:29 AM
I'd go for:

Greene
Ewing  Maguire  Donovan 
McGovern  Phillips  J. Davey 
Mullen   Taylor 
Gaughan  Costello  O'Hara 
Coen   Marren/Breheny  Kelly

Only play Marren if 100% fit. If not play Breheny and let him drift out with Gaughan drifting in for ball over the top. It doesn't matter if he is off form, he is still a far better player than Seán Davey. Anyone who thinks Costello is not worth his place hasn't a clue about football.I'd like some of these people who think he is slow to have a race with him, they'd get a fair surprise.

Well personally dont think I have a choice where mcnamara concerned, there going to start him thats the only justification i can give putting him there btw.

You need to justify Costellos starting place. I read out exactly what you said to someone back home at the game last Sunday as i wasnt. His reply "you have to be honest about it Costello did not have a good game"I also said did anyone think he played well, "no" was the reply. Are you saying all these people havent a clue about football. Should he start the next day, again "no he has no pace for this time of yr".

On the davey/gaughan, I asked that question to people in the know last week, Because I would ideally want an Inform gaughan in there but ive been told hes way off form.

stevo-08

the team I think will be picked is:

Greene
Ewing  Maguire  Donovan 
McGovern  McNamara  J. Davey 
Mullen   Taylor 
Davey  Costello  O'Hara 
Coen   Breheny  Kelly

On the costello argument, from watching him play with coolera for past 2 seasons, he is simply the best forward in Sligo for me, so I cant believe people would be looking for him to be dropped. He's also the only natural CHF we have so how anyone could pick davey & brehony in a half forward line ahead of him is beyond me. Yes, he was poor in the first half last week but improved significantly in the 2nd half - won alot of breaks around middle, carried it when necessary and made some excellent passes. You have to remember that this was his senior ch'ship debut and I think it took him some time to get used to the pace at that level.

Anyway Tipperary away is certainly a tough draw. Harrison is a huge loss, Ewing has a chance to redeem himself. We need another big performance from the lads in the middle again, and a lot more composure in the final 3rd. Good ball into kelly, coen & brehony will trouble most defences.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stevo-08 on July 06, 2009, 12:38:25 PM
the team I think will be picked is:

Greene
Ewing  Maguire  Donovan 
McGovern  McNamara  J. Davey 
Mullen   Taylor 
Davey  Costello  O'Hara 
Coen   Breheny  Kelly

On the costello argument, from watching him play with coolera for past 2 seasons, he is simply the best forward in Sligo for me, so I cant believe people would be looking for him to be dropped. He's also the only natural CHF we have so how anyone could pick davey & brehony in a half forward line ahead of him is beyond me. Yes, he was poor in the first half last week but improved significantly in the 2nd half - won alot of breaks around middle, carried it when necessary and made some excellent passes. You have to remember that this was his senior ch'ship debut and I think it took him some time to get used to the pace at that level.

Anyway Tipperary away is certainly a tough draw. Harrison is a huge loss, Ewing has a chance to redeem himself. We need another big performance from the lads in the middle again, and a lot more composure in the final 3rd. Good ball into kelly, coen & brehony will trouble most defences.

Holy shit thats some statement, every single poster can come against me on this, I disagree strongly. Itd be nice if ye could back up yer claims though at county level. How did he do in the div4 final? Watch the game against Galway again aswell lads.

jjjshabadoojnr

I would go with:

Greene
Ewing McGuire Donavan
McGovern Phillips Davey
Mullen Taylor
O'Hara Costello Gaughan
Coen Brehony Kelly.

I would not have picked Davey for the last game ahead of Gaughan. I don't get this talk before the Galway game of his great workrate. He does tend to go soloing forward which makes him stand out, however, I think Gaughan tracks back more and generally works harder. I don't know whether Davey will be out to prove selectors wrong in taking him off last day, maybe he will be wounded as Sligonian says. This remains to be seen.
I must say I also cannot see the reasons for dropping Costello.I know he made a few bad errors in the first half when running blind into tackles and losing the ball. I thought he worked very hard for breaking ball and got through a lot of work in the middle third. Many of our best moves in the second half were started by his possessions. He is the best man we have in the position for delivering quality ball to our full forward line. I am sure that if he had taken the free near the end that O'Hara managed to bomb up in the air over the end line that he would have looked for a shorter pass and tried to retain possession.
P.s. --I am only making judgement from the video of the game as I was away
Brehony is a good footballer but does not have the physical strength to play at centre half forward IMO. We are not blessed with individuals who are natural to this position and for me Costello is the best candidate.
For me McNamara cannot be near the pitch after his performance last time out. Misplaced passes with foot and hand added to a lack of intensity cannot be rewarded with a place for this game.
When will there be word on the venue? Hopefully it wont be somewhere way down near Waterford.

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 06, 2009, 12:56:25 PM

Holy shit thats some statement, every single poster can come against me on this, I disagree strongly. Itd be nice if ye could back up yer claims though at county level. How did he do in the div4 final? Watch the game against Galway again aswell lads.

Name me a forward who has performed better than costello in the last 2 years. Yes he had an off day in the div 4 final, but was very good for the league. He got caught in possession a few times in first half last week but improved big time in the 2nd.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stevo-08 on July 06, 2009, 01:15:55 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 06, 2009, 12:56:25 PM

Name me a forward who has performed better than costello in the last 2 years. Yes he had an off day in the div 4 final, but was very good for the league. He got caught in possession a few times in first half last week but improved big time in the 2nd.

Marren, Brehony, Paul Taylor, McGee, Kelly, were better in the club championship last yr IMO. Had a good league in div4 but as far as Im concerned found out since, not up to the pace.

Id love to see Costello stats the last day, possessions, pass completion and accuracy etc...

But to be honest we have bigger problems especially does anyone see Walsh dropping McNamara? I dont although of course I wouldnt have him near it either, i picked him yes but its cause i know he'll start anyway, seems he cant be dropped for some reason.

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 06, 2009, 01:32:25 PM
Marren, Brehony, Paul Taylor, McGee, Kelly, were better in the club championship last yr IMO. Had a good league in div4 but as far as Im concerned found out since, not up to the pace.
Id love to see Costello stats the last day, possessions, pass completion and accuracy etc...

But to be honest we have bigger problems especially does anyone see Walsh dropping McNamara? I dont although of course I wouldnt have him near it either, i picked him yes but its cause i know he'll start anyway, seems he cant be dropped for some reason.

Sligonian, you must think we have an endless supply of quality forwards if you've resigned costello to the scrap heap after one ch'ship outing. Unbelievable stuff. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one and I'll let Costello do the talking v Tipp next week, he'll be one of the first names on Walsh's teamsheet.

Agree with you bout mcnamara. himself and davey dont deserve to start the next day but unfortunately I believe both will make the 15.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stevo-08 on July 06, 2009, 02:29:34 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 06, 2009, 01:32:25 PM

Sligonian, you must think we have an endless supply of quality forwards if you've resigned costello to the scrap heap after one ch'ship outing. Unbelievable stuff. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one and I'll let Costello do the talking v Tipp next week, he'll be one of the first names on Walsh's teamsheet.

Agree with you bout mcnamara. himself and davey dont deserve to start the next day but unfortunately I believe both will make the 15.

Ok I agree to disagree, but before that your back up to him being a definite starter is not backed up with stats or Intercounty Championship football, your opinion is based on Div4 football(not including final) and club championship. So will mcnamara be the first name on walshs teamsheet, doesnt mean hes right. We will see about Costello in time, I wish him well against Tipp and that is genuine, I hope he crushes all my doubts to the scrapheap.

SATURDAY SEMPLE STADUIM 3PM THROW IN, ye lucky Sligonians get to fulfill a life long dream of mine. Yes Ive always wanted to go there. Although itll be empty.

Mano

I think Costello is getting a lot of unfair criticism on here-perhaps a lot of it to do with the fact he is not a native Sligonian.

Yes he had a poor first half but every forward was poor in the first half. He is there for his passing ability but how can you pick out a pass to a full forward line who are stationary behind their men. Consequently himself and a few others were forced into traffic and lost possesion. Second half was a lot more movement in the forwards and there were more options to pick out a pass.

My team for weekend
Greene
Donovan
McGuire
Ewing
Gaughan
McGovern
Davey
Mullen
Taylor
O'Hara
Costello
Brehony
Kelly
Sweeney
Marren

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on July 06, 2009, 03:49:04 PM
I think Costello is getting a lot of unfair criticism on here-perhaps a lot of it to do with the fact he is not a native Sligonian.

Yes he had a poor first half but every forward was poor in the first half. He is there for his passing ability but how can you pick out a pass to a full forward line who are stationary behind their men. Consequently himself and a few others were forced into traffic and lost possesion. Second half was a lot more movement in the forwards and there were more options to pick out a pass.

My team for weekend
Greene
Donovan
McGuire
Ewing
Gaughan
McGovern
Davey
Mullen
Taylor
O'Hara
Costello
Brehony
Kelly
Sweeney
Marren

Cop on to yourself, Im just calling it as I see it nothing to do with mayo. Point out the unfair criticism so Mano. I see the game differently to ye guys big deal, still think im right.  Rewarding Sweeney with a starting place and not starting Coen doesnt make sense after there respective performances.

Anyways Im prepared for Costello to start, but i am worried especially in a big pitch like Semple, I wasnt at these games so probably should bit more open minded i will say.