Ryle Nugent steps down as RTE Head of Sport

Started by Jinxy, February 26, 2018, 04:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

https://www.independent.ie/sport/ryle-nugent-announces-departure-from-rte-after-24-years-with-broadcaster-36644387.html

How will he be remembered from the GAA perspective?
I will mostly remember him as the RTE Head of Sport who lost all the sport.
He will be replaced internally.
Would Darragh Maloney be in the running?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Great. Might see some positive changes now GAA wise on the box next year.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

Buckass

U can't say he'd no interest in gaa. Made the phone call from upstairs for panel to change motm decision in 2015 after they selected Philly McMahon but uproar on social media about eye gouge of donaghmore

An Fhairche Abu

From a GAA perspective he's no loss at all, we'll see what the next person in will bring.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 26, 2018, 05:17:07 PM
From a GAA perspective he's no loss at all, we'll see what the next person in will bring.

LOI soccer, boxing, motorsport and basketball all suffered under him too.

Farrandeelin

I for one am happy he's gone. Whether or not the next fella will have the budget to bring in more sports is another thing.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

DuffleKing

Would it not be fair to say that RTE lost all of these sporting rights because of budget cuts? Surely RN would gladly have spent the full budget on retaining the 6 nations if it would have worked?

tippabu

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 26, 2018, 05:35:29 PM
Would it not be fair to say that RTE lost all of these sporting rights because of budget cuts? Surely RN would gladly have spent the full budget on retaining the 6 nations if it would have worked?

Thats my thinking, TG4 do a great job on the league and id hate to see rte getting it just from a sense of sharing the coverage around. RTE have good coverage of the championship, how would people like to see them improve on what we already have? the only thing I can really think of at the minute is id like to see a Monday night highlights show where they show extensive highlights of the action with less "analysis" from all the games theyve footage from. Could maybe do a video or audio podcast type show where they can discuss the games in detail or a radio show

Captain Obvious

Jinxy

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 26, 2018, 05:35:29 PM

Undoubtably. RTE actually pretty much lost all their rugby under him as well.

trileacman

Ryle was a favourite football for lads to kick on here. I never had much issue with him, an obvious rugby centric individual but very few else would have tackled the 3 stooges on TSG. Their  inane ramblings are box office gold for joe public.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

Under Ryle Nugent Meath became a shadow of its former self. Even women have no fear of Meath now.
The Nugent years also saw brutal tankings of the soul of Irish sport, the Republic of Oireland soccer team.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU