Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on June 15, 2017, 02:45:46 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 15, 2017, 02:37:36 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 15, 2017, 11:55:52 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 15, 2017, 09:50:06 AM
Watched the game again, Galway struggled in that opening 20 minutes when Mayo kicked the ball into Moran & COC; I was surprised at the amount of space although given the lack of pace from Moran & COC you'd have to think Kevin Walsh was comfortable with the situation as the tactic was to hold them up them up and wait for support but it didn't always work out like that. Kyne was very average, he made very few interceptions throughout the match. Sweeney played well, he certainly lacks pace but he made plenty of interceptions and had a habit of been in the right place at the right time on several occasions. Still that lack of pace in that full back line is a huge worry.

We were far too slow to react to Clarke's kickouts, Mayo got far too many short kickouts away throughout the match despite them not having an extra man back there. We were very slow to react on far too many occasions. RTE were busy showing replays on 3 or 4 occasions during the 1st half do don't know what happened on some of our own kickouts. We gifted Mayo a couple of points during the 2nd with been too slow working the ball out.

Brannigan has to start the next day, couldn't believe it when he didn't start and his second half performance showed why he should be starting. Comer had a great game although there's more to come from him, he kicked for scores from difficult angles when he could have got a lot closer to the points, Cafferkey didn't have the strength to stop but in fairness I don't think there's too many fullbacks who would.
This is why I'm not sure we have progressed since last year. We have a stronger squad in other areas for sure with guys like Mike Daly, Cillian McDaid, O Curraoin back etc.
But we haven't improved the full back line one iota. Now I know Cathal Sweeney wasn't involved last year really but in my opinion what happened last year against Tipp in terms of our fb line getting taken to the cleaners has the potential recur again this year if we get there. I don't see us as any stronger in that line.
It is the single biggest weakness in our team and is the very thing that could stop us progressing into the top tier of teams.

The lack of size and physique is also a big problem in the Galway full-back line. They are all shortarses. You might get away with one of those back there but not all three of them. Sean Andy should be a big help in that regard next year. Although we could do with a strong corner-back as well.

Yer build up this Sean Andy lad but I've yet to see a lad fresh from underage perform exceptionally at FB. Even the most prodigious lads take a year or two of experience before they can do a solid and consistent job at that position.

Having seen him play a good bit I have no worries about him making it at all. Obviously he has to be given time but he has everything you want for that position. He'll be thrown in at the deep end in the league next year anyway.

And sure if he doesn't make it in the long run the minor captain Mulkerrins is as good a prospect at him. Maybe even better. Depends on how they both develop. Granted he'll need even more time.

galwayman

Watched the game again, Galway struggled in that opening 20 minutes when Mayo kicked the ball into Moran & COC; I was surprised at the amount of space although given the lack of pace from Moran & COC you'd have to think Kevin Walsh was comfortable with the situation as the tactic was to hold them up them up and wait for support but it didn't always work out like that. Kyne was very average, he made very few interceptions throughout the match. Sweeney played well, he certainly lacks pace but he made plenty of interceptions and had a habit of been in the right place at the right time on several occasions. Still that lack of pace in that full back line is a huge worry.

We were far too slow to react to Clarke's kickouts, Mayo got far too many short kickouts away throughout the match despite them not having an extra man back there. We were very slow to react on far too many occasions. RTE were busy showing replays on 3 or 4 occasions during the 1st half do don't know what happened on some of our own kickouts. We gifted Mayo a couple of points during the 2nd with been too slow working the ball out.

Brannigan has to start the next day, couldn't believe it when he didn't start and his second half performance showed why he should be starting. Comer had a great game although there's more to come from him, he kicked for scores from difficult angles when he could have got a lot closer to the points, Cafferkey didn't have the strength to stop but in fairness I don't think there's too many fullbacks who would.
This is why I'm not sure we have progressed since last year. We have a stronger squad in other areas for sure with guys like Mike Daly, Cillian McDaid, O Curraoin back etc.
But we haven't improved the full back line one iota. Now I know Cathal Sweeney wasn't involved last year really but in my opinion what happened last year against Tipp in terms of our fb line getting taken to the cleaners has the potential recur again this year if we get there. I don't see us as any stronger in that line.
It is the single biggest weakness in our team and is the very thing that could stop us progressing into the top tier of teams.

The lack of size and physique is also a big problem in the Galway full-back line. They are all shortarses. You might get away with one of those back there but not all three of them. Sean Andy should be a big help in that regard next year. Although we could do with a strong corner-back as well.

Yer build up this Sean Andy lad but I've yet to see a lad fresh from underage perform exceptionally at FB. Even the most prodigious lads take a year or two of experience before they can do a solid and consistent job at that position.
I personally genuinely have not seen enough of him in the flesh to make any comment on his suitability for the job at senior level.
I didn't make it to all of the county u21 games this year unfortunately.

fearsiuil

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 15, 2017, 03:02:14 PM

Having seen him play a good bit I have no worries about him making it at all. Obviously he has to be given time but he has everything you want for that position. He'll be thrown in at the deep end in the league next year anyway.

And sure if he doesn't make it in the long run the minor captain Mulkerrins is as good a prospect at him. Maybe even better. Depends on how they both develop. Granted he'll need even more time.
Mulkerrins looks a good prospect alright, is he too leggy to do a stint in the corner or elsewhere or is he a no. 3 out and out?

galwayman

I'm pretty sure minor last year was the first time he'd played in the full back
line for the county.
He was midfield for the u16s in 2015 if I'm not mistaken.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: fearsiuil on June 16, 2017, 11:01:11 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 15, 2017, 03:02:14 PM

Mulkerrins looks a good prospect alright, is he too leggy to do a stint in the corner or elsewhere or is he a no. 3 out and out?

I'd say he's a bit too tall  for the corner. Has played some centre-back as well.