Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: regal on June 14, 2017, 11:37:24 PM
I just watched the highlights there. Whilst I usually support mayo in this fixture I found myself cheering for Galway on Sunday. Great for football as I can't bear to watch mayo disappointment us all later in the year. A few points:

- why do mayo keep selecting Donte Vaughan?
- cillian O'Connor is a super footballer, but he is a cheat
- Aidan O'Shea is some waste of talent
- Galway have some lovely forwards

Is he?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 13, 2017, 01:20:32 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 13, 2017, 11:51:34 AM
Galway have just beaten a team 2 years in a row who've been one of the top 2 teams in the country for the last 5 years, don't think they've been given any credit in the media for it.

As I said earlier all the focus is on Mayo post match, I'm delighted that this is the case and I wouldn't be a bit bothered about credit, Galway should not give a fiddlers about credit or respect from outside the county. The Tipperary collapse last year is still prominent in people's minds and until Galway go and win a Q-final in CP then it's doubtful that the memory of that terrible result will be erased.
Galway football is undoubtedly moving in the right direction, it's a flawed outfit currently but give that team a couple of years and we'll see what they can do, as Kevin Walsh said after the match our season was not going to be defined by the winning or losing of the Mayo game. I didn't expect Galway to win on Sunday and we are through to the last 12 now regardless of the Connacht final result, if Galway win their next two games (which could be a very big ask) then this season will have been hugely successful.

I think that Mayo are certainly still one of the top teams in the country but serious questions will be now asked of them, they had a massive response (eventually) last year, who's to say that they can't do it again? Mayo's season will be defined by whether they win the All Ireland or not, that's the reality of it.

Quote from: larryin89 on June 13, 2017, 12:48:02 PM
I don't give a shite about galway though or what they think , a delusional bunch since 2001 as far as I'm concerned , when ye put that right you lot will be taken serious . until then her just the Connacht champions who got humiliated by a hurling county.
Good man Larry  ;D

You're right, more frustrating listening to Michael Quirke's so called in depth analysis on 2 different podcasts when he was clearly at the Kerry Clare match and only caught a few minutes highlights on the Sunday Game.

As for Larry looks like a 2nd defeat in a row has hit him badly.

Ballaghman

Quote from: highorlow on June 14, 2017, 06:25:32 PM
We've had plenty of defeats before and I was able to take them at face value. Even last year's AIF.

It's the nature of this one point defeat that's harrowing.

We beat Tyrone last year in a game I'd say they definitely felt they left behind. Watch and see how they will have learned from that in this year's championship.

I hope this "loon" is proven wrong and all the "supporters" on here that view the opposite and that this is a minor blip are in fact right. Time will tell, I'll keep following the team anyways, they need our support more than ever.

Fogra: any lads that keep calling it a "team" should remember it's a "panel" game these days. But then again that could be another problem with us.

I agree 100% Highorlow that we rode our luck last year but that's what Tyrone do, they.waste chances. Look at the league game again this year. You can't have it both ways and just pick out the bad things Rochford did and ignore the good.  He absolutely got the better of Harte tactically last year.  Playing Dillon was a masterstroke. He also got the better of Gavin in the drawn game. We were.a.good deal better than Dublin that day but we found another way to mess it up. Gavin.got the better of him the next day, largely because he was trying to be 'too smart' with the keeper change and it backfired badly.
We got a seriously lucky draw last year but you can't ignore the good things he did. He set us up in a way to play Dublin that was much more controlled. The year before under H and C it was all gung ho stuff and we ran out of steam and ideas .  Last year with McLoughlin sweeping and our backs more disciplined in when they'd attack and when they'd stay we looked much more assured against what is ultimately a stronger panel.
We're up against it big time this year but I still fancy us to make the quarters. Then we'll run into Kerry most likeky and we'll see what they're made of then, SR included.

Maroon Manc

Watched the game again, Galway struggled in that opening 20 minutes when Mayo kicked the ball into Moran & COC; I was surprised at the amount of space although given the lack of pace from Moran & COC you'd have to think Kevin Walsh was comfortable with the situation as the tactic was to hold them up them up and wait for support but it didn't always work out like that. Kyne was very average, he made very few interceptions throughout the match. Sweeney played well, he certainly lacks pace but he made plenty of interceptions and had a habit of been in the right place at the right time on several occasions. Still that lack of pace in that full back line is a huge worry.

We were far too slow to react to Clarke's kickouts, Mayo got far too many short kickouts away throughout the match despite them not having an extra man back there. We were very slow to react on far too many occasions. RTE were busy showing replays on 3 or 4 occasions during the 1st half do don't know what happened on some of our own kickouts. We gifted Mayo a couple of points during the 2nd with been too slow working the ball out.

Brannigan has to start the next day, couldn't believe it when he didn't start and his second half performance showed why he should be starting. Comer had a great game although there's more to come from him, he kicked for scores from difficult angles when he could have got a lot closer to the points, Cafferkey didn't have the strength to stop but in fairness I don't think there's too many fullbacks who would.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 15, 2017, 09:08:14 AM
You're right, more frustrating listening to Michael Quirke's so called in depth analysis on 2 different podcasts when he was clearly at the Kerry Clare match and only caught a few minutes highlights on the Sunday Game.

I listened to both of those and it is doubtful that he had watched the match in full, with respect to the the Off The Ball coverage at least BJ Padden was at the actual game and could give an informed opinion.
Quirke is just another Kerry talking head in the media spoofing away about other counties while trying to create whatever narrative suits the Kerry team best.

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 15, 2017, 09:50:06 AM
Watched the game again, Galway struggled in that opening 20 minutes when Mayo kicked the ball into Moran & COC; I was surprised at the amount of space although given the lack of pace from Moran & COC you'd have to think Kevin Walsh was comfortable with the situation as the tactic was to hold them up them up and wait for support but it didn't always work out like that. Kyne was very average, he made very few interceptions throughout the match. Sweeney played well, he certainly lacks pace but he made plenty of interceptions and had a habit of been in the right place at the right time on several occasions. Still that lack of pace in that full back line is a huge worry.

We were far too slow to react to Clarke's kickouts, Mayo got far too many short kickouts away throughout the match despite them not having an extra man back there. We were very slow to react on far too many occasions. RTE were busy showing replays on 3 or 4 occasions during the 1st half do don't know what happened on some of our own kickouts. We gifted Mayo a couple of points during the 2nd with been too slow working the ball out.

Brannigan has to start the next day, couldn't believe it when he didn't start and his second half performance showed why he should be starting. Comer had a great game although there's more to come from him, he kicked for scores from difficult angles when he could have got a lot closer to the points, Cafferkey didn't have the strength to stop but in fairness I don't think there's too many fullbacks who would.
This is why I'm not sure we have progressed since last year. We have a stronger squad in other areas for sure with guys like Mike Daly, Cillian McDaid, O Curraoin back etc.
But we haven't improved the full back line one iota. Now I know Cathal Sweeney wasn't involved last year really but in my opinion what happened last year against Tipp in terms of our fb line getting taken to the cleaners has the potential recur again this year if we get there. I don't see us as any stronger in that line.
It is the single biggest weakness in our team and is the very thing that could stop us progressing into the top tier of teams.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: galwayman on June 15, 2017, 11:55:52 AM

This is why I'm not sure we have progressed since last year. We have a stronger squad in other areas for sure with guys like Mike Daly, Cillian McDaid, O Curraoin back etc.
But we haven't improved the full back line one iota. Now I know Cathal Sweeney wasn't involved last year really but in my opinion what happened last year against Tipp in terms of our fb line getting taken to the cleaners has the potential recur again this year if we get there. I don't see us as any stronger in that line.
It is the single biggest weakness in our team and is the very thing that could stop us progressing into the top tier of teams.
Would agree with you in terms of our current options in the FB line but hopefully that situation should improve through the league next year.  For now though, we have to make do with what we available to us.  I wouldn't agree on the FB line being totally responsible for the Tipp debacle last year - any FB line would have struggled with the amount of ball that was coming in on top of them that day - we were also roasted further out the pitch and the ease with which Tipp were able to carry the ball up the field that day was criminal.  Hopefully being a year wiser will make a difference!!

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 15, 2017, 12:07:34 PM

Would agree with you in terms of our current options in the FB line but hopefully that situation should improve through the league next year.  For now though, we have to make do with what we available to us.  I wouldn't agree on the FB line being totally responsible for the Tipp debacle last year - any FB line would have struggled with the amount of ball that was coming in on top of them that day - we were also roasted further out the pitch and the ease with which Tipp were able to carry the ball up the field that day was criminal.  Hopefully being a year wiser will make a difference!!

Accepting the problems as outlined already this is the key point, Galway were absolutely destroyed in the middle third, you could have the best FB line in the world but it's not going to matter a jot if there is constant attacks without any respite as was the case in the Q-final last year.

Rossfan

Only 29 pages yet.
No hope of a hundred pager here :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 15, 2017, 12:17:08 PM

Accepting the problems as outlined already this is the key point, Galway were absolutely destroyed in the middle third, you could have the best FB line in the world but it's not going to matter a jot if there is constant attacks without any respite as was the case in the Q-final last year.
Absolutely they were in the Tipp game I totally accept that.
But I do still believe that we could be in trouble in that line regardless if we get to Croker given the extra space in there.
I say that 100% hoping I am proved wrong.
Now whether we can maybe tailor our game somewhat to protect the area in front of goal if that comes to pass remains to be seen.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: galwayman on June 15, 2017, 01:26:35 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 15, 2017, 12:17:08 PM

Absolutely they were in the Tipp game I totally accept that.
But I do still believe that we could be in trouble in that line regardless if we get to Croker given the extra space in there.
I say that 100% hoping I am proved wrong.
Now whether we can maybe tailor our game somewhat to protect the area in front of goal if that comes to pass remains to be seen.

The biggest issues against Tipp was kickouts, from memory Tipp were 100% on their own and won over 40% of Galway's. You haven't a hope of winning a match with those set of stats. You'd like to think that wouldn't happen again. Galway will be a more experienced outfit and aren't as one dimensional as they were last year, Galway certainly weren't as negative as they were against Mayo last year which should mean we're less predictable to play against.

On a positive side the panel is a lot stronger and gives Walsh a lot more options when making changes. 

magpie seanie

Quote from: joemamas on June 14, 2017, 02:01:31 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 14, 2017, 01:20:56 PM
The "loons" as you call them are actually correct in what they're doing. A critical self analysis that it seems to me Mayo never really do. We lost cos they put the game in Limerick, an unlucky bounce over the bar, a man sent off.......there's always some reason but it's never your own fault. Thankfully, as someone who doesn't want to see Mayo win the All-Ireland, the "loons" are in the small minority in your county.

You are a bitter person, I just included your post after the game

"Enjoyed the game. Thought Galway nearly threw it away due to their funny first half tactics and a bit of panic setting in in the last ten minutes. Luckily for them COC bottled a free yet again and then hid and Mayo had none else who could score because they'd taken Andy Moran off. It's like watching the same movie over and over again, Mayo never learn. In the conditions it was a very good game.....that Galway forward line could be very tasty in Croke Park later in the summer."

Cillian o Connor did not bottle a free, in fact if you take the time look at the facts, he scored a monster free from 60+ yards out, then took one from a similar distance, and it resulted in a free out for a square ball. He does not hide, he scored 0-6pts, was responsible for three more scores.

Hard to understand where your hate of Mayo emanates from. That is your issue.
As a mayoman, I don't think I have ever not wanted to see Sligo losing, (except when playing Mayo), I would say a lot of Mayo people have similar thoughts.
On a positive note, you only have two months until soccer begins. The vile comments that accompany that sport and its supporters may suit you better.

Slight overreaction!!! A bit tender are we? Let me try to explain my "vile comments".

In the GAA it is not uncommon for people to not want neighbouring clubs/counties to succeed. Especially if you've suffered a lot of defeats and all that goes with that over the years. I won't go into my own reasons because I'd possibly be here all day but in a move that sort of contradicts yourself you say you're not interested in them anyway...."That is your issue".

I always found the start of the (I assume you mean Premier League in England) soccer season to be a bit depressing as it signals the end of the championship is close and we're heading into months of wall to wall coverage. Nowadays I'd be looking forward to the NFL season to get me through to spring. Not many "vile comments".....you'd probably like it. Aidan O'Shea tried it one time.

magpie seanie

Quote from: blast05 on June 14, 2017, 01:51:40 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 14, 2017, 01:20:56 PM
The "loons" as you call them are actually correct in what they're doing. A critical self analysis that it seems to me Mayo never really do. We lost cos they put the game in Limerick, an unlucky bounce over the bar, a man sent off.......there's always some reason but it's never your own fault. Thankfully, as someone who doesn't want to see Mayo win the All-Ireland, the "loons" are in the small minority in your county.

That's harsh. Since Horan took over, there is a definitely a culture in Mayo teams of only looking at one thing after a defeat .... the mirror. That culture has carried through with H&C and Rochford.
There will of course always be Mayo supporters who will whinge but even among that group, the culture has dramatically shifted too to looking in the mirror.

Possibly I am being harsh but I see some of the same mistakes being repeated over and over. I don't think I'm alone in this observation. Maybe the critical self analysis is being done by the inner circle but the solutions put in place are not working. And you really need to be harsh to get the job done.

GalwayBayBoy

The lack of size and physique is also a big problem in the Galway full-back line. They are all shortarses. You might get away with one of those back there but not all three of them. Sean Andy should be a big help in that regard next year. Although we could do with a strong corner-back as well.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 15, 2017, 02:37:36 PM

The lack of size and physique is also a big problem in the Galway full-back line. They are all shortarses. You might get away with one of those back there but not all three of them. Sean Andy should be a big help in that regard next year. Although we could do with a strong corner-back as well.

Yer build up this Sean Andy lad but I've yet to see a lad fresh from underage perform exceptionally at FB. Even the most prodigious lads take a year or two of experience before they can do a solid and consistent job at that position.